The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 1 PHYA1 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1400
Original post by g.k.galloway
Just realised that for some absurd reason I put one of my answers as a fraction (1/3), it wasn't a sig fig question, will I lose any marks?

i dont think so. as long as it didn't specify sig figs you should be fine since its just a different format of the same answer.
Original post by Qari
How much marks do you think I'd lose if I didn't do to it right signifacnt figures even though it don't tell you to?

None. General said you are only assessed one 1 question on sf.
Reply 1402
Original post by StalkeR47
Exactly mate! I am also unsure. But I think it said decreased.... Which simply means emitted electrons will have less kinetic energy.:rolleyes:

Dam, i just lost two marks :/ i could have sworn that it said increased.
Reply 1403
Original post by Khenir
I had 16 since:

8 vertical divisions,
Peak to Peak = 128V
so (128/8) = Y-sensitivity = 16.

Yeah but all of us that put 20 new that 16 would get the 'largest oscillation display' but we picked 20 as it is a more suitable/ sensible scale. Its the way on isa's you aren't allowed to go up in multiples of 3.
Reply 1404
Actually I saw 16 in your answer and ignored the rest. I said change the time base until 16 division on the x-axis appears since 8 division was for 1 wave cycle. So I did not get same as you:tongue:

It wasn't my answer, I'm just saying it asked to see 2 full waves and you had to change x-div for that
Original post by GeneralOJB
For the current it was 6.67x10^-5
The voltage on the meter was 0.33V
Last 2 are correct.

ok cheers for feedback
Reply 1406
I got LDR wrong, so 2 marks deffo lost there. I though Resistance increases with light :frown:
Original post by Pataiiii
Dam, i just lost two marks :/ i could have sworn that it said increased.

Know what? After when I finished the exam, I thought it was increase question... but I was confused. I just remember now that it was decrease question and I actually did correct. I am sure you also talked about what happens when the frequency is decreased. :smile:
Reply 1408
Are you on about the photoelectric question? That said decrease
Reply 1409
For the work function question, did anyone else when they converted the 1.8Ev into Joules get 2.88*10-19 but when they then worked out the work function using the formula got 2.89*10-19 Joules, or was it only me? :P
Reply 1410
Normally it is 54-56 out of 70 for an A.:biggrin:

Okay good, thank you! :biggrin: You wouldn't happen to know what 90ums is normally would you? I know it changes a fair bit :smile:
Original post by Qari
Are you on about the photoelectric question? That said decrease

yes.
Original post by GeneralOJB
I don't think so.

The mark scheme says:
"All other numerical answers should not be considered in terms of significant figures."
"Numerical answers presented in non-standard form are undesirable but should not be penalised."

Thank you!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1413
Original post by AP41
For the work function question, did anyone else when they converted the 1.8Ev into Joules get 2.88*10-19 but when they then worked out the work function using the formula got 2.89*10-19 Joules, or was it only me? :P

Yeah I got that, but I think they'll allow you to use your answer from previous question :smile:
Reply 1414
Original post by CR95
Yeah but all of us that put 20 new that 16 would get the 'largest oscillation display' but we picked 20 as it is a more suitable/ sensible scale. Its the way on isa's you aren't allowed to go up in multiples of 3.

I left 20 because it asked how i would adjust it, and i wouldn't have adjusted the y sensitivity. I doubt it will lose a mark so long as you mentioned that you would leave/set it at 20
Original post by AP41

work function should be calculated in joules otherwise stated in the question.
Original post by Abbseh
Okay good, thank you! :biggrin: You wouldn't happen to know what 90ums is normally would you? I know it changes a fair bit :smile:

Well no. But I hope you get what you want. Amen.
Reply 1417
for the plot the rms voltage on the graph..did you have to plot it when the voltage was negative also? seems it would be the case as it was worth 2 marks..forgot to do it lol oops
Reply 1418
Original post by Goods
I left 20 because it asked how i would adjust it, and i wouldn't have adjusted the y sensitivity. I doubt it will lose a mark so long as you mentioned that you would leave/set it at 20

It said 2 complete waves, how does Y axis have anything to do with waves, you had to change X-div to 2ms or 2.5ms
Reply 1419
Not very related but does anyone know the rough raw mark to ums conversion for the ISAs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending