The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

I keep asking but I see people doing this, so if I got 36/40 in my coursework what do I need in total for an A?
Original post by JustaDreamer
Oh ok, thanks, though I'm doing Character and voice :tongue:

Just switch the words around a little then :wink:
Do any of you have the January 2011 paper for poetry?
Original post by LittleMissVintage
Please could somebody help me and answer this - I'm really upset:/
I answered the question on 'An Inspector Calls' and I answered a question on a character called Eric. However the question was along the lines of Eric is described as 'half-shy, half-assertive and a little unsure of himself'
Explain how this and other ideas in the play are used to present Priestley's ideas about Eric,
and I wrote a really good essay, but I didn't mention the quotation given:/ is this going to affect my marks as it counts as not directly answering the question? Is a C the most I can now get on this section?
Please could somebody respond to this as soon as possible:frown:

It did specify in the question to relate to this quote, however I only did so once.
Of course you can still get higher than a C! If your points were good, well thought through, perceptive e.t.c I'm sure you can still get a high grade!
Original post by lolface32
Just switch the words around a little then :wink:

Okey doke :smile:
Reply 2105
Original post by ScienceGeek!
Hi can you do the same for me please will give you rep. Got 40/40 in the coursework and 65/70 in the poetry exam. Thanks :smile:

How much ums points is 34/40 in the course work? I got 66 ums in the poetry exam so i want to know roughly how many marks i need to get in this exam.
Original post by LittleMissVintage
Please could somebody help me and answer this - I'm really upset:/
I answered the question on 'An Inspector Calls' and I answered a question on a character called Eric. However the question was along the lines of Eric is described as 'half-shy, half-assertive and a little unsure of himself'
Explain how this and other ideas in the play are used to present Priestley's ideas about Eric,
and I wrote a really good essay, but I didn't mention the quotation given:/ is this going to affect my marks as it counts as not directly answering the question? Is a C the most I can now get on this section?
Please could somebody respond to this as soon as possible:frown:

you'll still get marks they dont mark negatively but it did say how does he present ideas about Eric here and the rest of the novel so...
Reply 2107
I wrote a load of crap for OMAM...
For the crucible I think I answered the one about the proctors relationship quite well.
What could you have said about the witch trials in the second question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bbcs2k9
How much ums points is 34/40 in the course work? I got 66 ums in the poetry exam so i want to know roughly how many marks i need to get in this exam.

For an A, roughly 52 UMS. For an A*, 72 UMS :smile:
Original post by andersson
In note form, my answers went like this:

a) "tall" - Other ranch hands look up to him literally and figuratively.

"long" and "black" hair - Same appearance as depictions of Jesus, makes Slim more important because he's compared to someone who is key to a lot of people's lives.

"combs" hair - Action only done by someone who has people look at them a lot. Tells us he is important because he is someone who must be looked at for reassurance and help.

"royalty" - Saying he is someone who has a closer link to God than the average person.

can drive "ten, sixteen, twenty mules" - The longer an observer looks or thinks about him the more positively they think of him. His importance can be seen doubling here in a short duration of time.

"gravity" - Comparison with fundamental force of nature or a star, essential for life.

"understanding beyond thought" - Comparison with an omniscient (all knowing) God.

b) Slim is giver of life or death: lets Carlson kill Curley's dog, kills 4 of dog's puppies so the others have better chance of life, tells George killing Lennie was the right thing to do. Steinbeck saying that there was hope, there were ideal men around in 1930s who weren't clouded emotionally and could be rational. OR Steinbeck saying there is no hope, even the ideal men are violent.

Slim is helper in the story: helps Curley up after fight with Lennie, helps George up after killing Lennie. Helped both villain (Curley) and hero (George), implies Steinbeck was telling us people weren't just one-sided in the 1930s, people were neutral too.

................................................................................................

You could have written about anything in part 'a' and, as long as you used PEE analysis, gotten a mark for it. In part 'b' there are so many things you can write about, as long as what you said sounds intelligent and answers the question you should be getting marks.

Good luck to you too, hope this helped!

Yaaaay! Looks like our hard work might have paid off! How did you find the exam? :smile:
Reply 2110
Original post by fbrep2012
what did A-A* candidates write about Eric in "An Inspector Calls"

Not sure if I'm an A* candidate but I wrote:

- The opening quote show's he's hiding someone and he's quite awkward, and this could show he was immature. I linked this with the 'intimate' lighting and how he's avoiding responsibility.

- He's shown as someone who drinks too much and Priestley uses this to show the link between religion and Christianity. He shows gluttony (he's drinking and overindulging while other people are dying of starvation).

- He becomes more mature and passionate at the end which shows the generational gap, but it could also be argued he hadn't actually matured because he was 'laughing'.
Reply 2111
Original post by Natasha792
Yaaaay! Looks like our hard work might have paid off! How did you find the exam? :smile:

Yeah, I'm so glad I made the mock questions. :biggrin: I thought I couldn't possibly have asked for better questions to be honest (for TWIB and OMAM). How about you?

By the way, there's a new thread for the poetry exam on thursday:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2357669
Current poll results, thanks to over 30 people who have answered. Please continue too so we can help eachother out. Thank you. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369076950.243232.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369076967.571819.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369076975.806385.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369076988.396636.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am doing a detailed guide for each poem in the Conflict Anthology for AQA

Here is the first part

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2357800&p=42721136#post42721136
Original post by NorwichCityFC
Haha, i've just got home from the Etihad! Missed a whole day of revision but worth it to see Norwich win 3-2! Buzzing!!

Quality win for you lot though, not many teams go to city and beat them. Howson's goal was quality
POLL UPDATE: Going well, over 50 people answered so far, most common result so far is HARD but AVERAGE comes first in 1/2 of the survey questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BLTontour
POLL UPDATE: Going well, over 50 people answered so far, most common result so far is HARD but AVERAGE comes first in 1/2 of the survey questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

www.surveymonkey.com/s/DH5TR7L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jwf13
Not sure if I'm an A* candidate but I wrote:

- The opening quote show's he's hiding someone and he's quite awkward, and this could show he was immature. I linked this with the 'intimate' lighting and how he's avoiding responsibility.

- He's shown as someone who drinks too much and Priestley uses this to show the link between religion and Christianity. He shows gluttony (he's drinking and overindulging while other people are dying of starvation).

- He becomes more mature and passionate at the end which shows the generational gap, but it could also be argued he hadn't actually matured because he was 'laughing'.

Thats really good i talked about 'half shy half assertive'' priestley has split his personality its as if hes not a whole person hes insecure and not sure about himself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2119
Original post by JustaDreamer
If you're talking about the controlled assessment, I only had 33/40 :colonhash:

33 is an A which is good, and I'm just really nervous as I've done bad in the exam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending