The Student Room Group

OCR Physics B G491 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by RevisionEssence
Guys for question 4(b) unfortunately, the answer is not 15mS, it is 30mS. That is because Total conductance across parallel circuits is equal to them being added together. Therefore, 15+15= 30mS. I do hope others got that one right, because many seem to fail to understand why it ISNT 15mS.

Resistance adds up in series and conductance adds up in parallel curcuits. Therefore the answer is 15mS
Reply 141
Original post by jelmes96
Resistance adds up in series and conductance adds up in parallel curcuits. Therefore the answer is 15mS

Yep I got 15mS
Original post by Paribas01
Yep I got 15mS

Hang on, were the points A and B between all conductors? I thought it was only at the parallel part...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 143
I said something like "Concrete is tough when a compressive force is exerted onto the composite, beause it has an amorphous structure, not allowing the grains to slip past each other, however as concrete is a composite, (mixture), the material is not chemically bonded and there are no inter molecular forces, allowing the material to fracture suddenly with out deforming plastically when a tensile force is exerted.

Can someone comment on this guys?
Reply 144
Hang on, were the points A and B between all conductors?

Pretty damn sure they were
Reply 145
Hang on, were the points A and B between all conductors?

yep
Hang on, were the points A and B between all conductors? I thought it was only at the parallel part...

They bloody well better have been
Reply 147
For the question about the relationship on the graph i put the two variables increase uniformly. Will this get me the mark even though i didn't put directly proportional?
Ah damn, so I lost 5 marks in total. Oh well :P Good luck guys! xD Hope you all got your A's
Original post by Dan1300
For the question about the relationship on the graph i put the two variables increase uniformly. Will this get me the mark even though i didn't put directly proportional?

Yeah you'll get the mark :smile:
Can someone comment on this guys?

You might get a mark for mentioning an amorphous structure. Do you think the ms explanation is good for the 4 marks?
Reply 151
Can anyone upload a copy of the actual paper?
Original post by snailfur
Can anyone upload a copy of the actual paper?

I second this motion
Reply 153
We need somebody to upload the paper and give the worked solutions like that maths guy "arsey" does
Reply 154
I cant wait until i get my results thats too long :biggrin:
Reply 155
Original post by metaltron
You might get a mark for mentioning an amorphous structure. Do you think the ms explanation is good for the 4 marks?

Why just one mark? It was a good explanation :O
Why just one mark? It was a good explanation :O

I'd say 2/4 for the slip part as well. However, I'm not sure as I haven't seen the mark scheme and material mark scheme are random sometimes.
Reply 157
I thought the curvature one was 7.5D as the formula would have been 1/f - 1/u but u was negative which turned it to 1/f +1/u
Reply 158
For 9)b)iii] I put:

Advantage: Trees dont have to be cut down to make paper books.
Disadvantage: The devices have to be manufactured, which may involve burning greenhouse gases and releasing CO2.

Fair enough?
Reply 159
For the axe head question - you couldn't put tough or strong and have different marking points for them - they are the same thing and the paper stated that steel has a high density, which means it is strong/tough. Meaning the markscheme won't accept it. The only remaining property of metals is ductile (metals have three properties), this is useful as it means steel can be shaped without loosing its strength. It can't be malleable as that would mean steel would loose its strength.

For that ebook question I said:
Advantages:
Reduces number of trees cut down.
Ebooks are easier to transport.
An electronic book is cheaper.

Disadvantages:
People are opposed to Ebooks.
Ebooks put bookshops out of buisness/lower their income as books shops sell paper books.
Not all places have Wi-Fi and it may not be free.
Ebooks are much more expensive than a paper book.
Not everyone knows how to use an Ebook.

Another one I thought of was that Ebooks could require computers to be charged and not everyone has a computer.

I said concrete had a ceramic structure - I was running out of time and rushing. Though amorphous and ceramic should both get marks, they're just dependent of cooling time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending