The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 2 May 21st 2013

Scroll to see replies

What actual skills do you reckon will come up? I'm hoping its not standard deviation! :s-smilie:
Do you need to know the Spearmans rank and standard deviation equations!
Original post by lucasluke

I don't think so, they usually give it to you and you just have to fill in the equation!
Reply 183
Hi everyone! Best of Luck for tomorrow!
Reply 184
Is this thread about Geography A Unit 2 because I have no idea what everyone is talking about??
Reply 185
Original post by homefind
Pretty much have to say what your aiming to investigate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aiming to see if the characteristics of a river change from source to mouth and done this by seeing if River Teign fitted the Bradshaw Model.
Would I mention the tests I done in my investigation?

Bit confused on how to get 6 marks from this!
Personally hoping for a standard deviation/spearman's question as my map skills are honestly very poor :rolleyes:
Reply 187
Original post by Tazza93
Aiming to see if the characteristics of a river change from source to mouth and done this by seeing if River Teign fitted the Bradshaw Model.
Would I mention the tests I done in my investigation?

Bit confused on how to get 6 marks from this!

For 6 marks you have to say your aim, hypothesis & context of investigation. In other words why this river? E.g. human manipulation.
Original post by Rawan24
Is this thread about Geography A Unit 2 because I have no idea what everyone is talking about??
Yep :smile: Its AQA exam board
Reply 189
For this question:"justify one method of data collection" how would you answer as i am going to talk about how velocity changes downstream based on bradshaws model and the technique is timing an orange to cover 10m then do s=d/t to get the velocity.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 190
In the exam tomorrow, there is a past question that is:- "With Reference to one technique you chose to present your data in your enquiry, justify the choice of the technique" I have chosen to write about a scatter graph, I don't really understand how you can write 6 marks worth about scatter graphs.. :s-smilie: Please Helpp! :s-smilie:
Reply 191
To Welback- You would say how you did the method and why you chose it and give strengths like you could repeat the same technique ten times to give an average, this is a good method as it is easily replicated it shows the average of surface velocity and how it increases downstream :smile:
Reply 192
But don't forget to mention that surface velocity, and your orange, will be affected by air friction, thus a true reflection of river velocity is at approx 6/10th depth, but provided all your readings are done this way there will be no bias.
Reply 193
Original post by kerensam
In the exam tomorrow, there is a past question that is:- "With Reference to one technique you chose to present your data in your enquiry, justify the choice of the technique" I have chosen to write about a scatter graph, I don't really understand how you can write 6 marks worth about scatter graphs.. :s-smilie: Please Helpp! :s-smilie:

In our model answer (we did investigating how bed load changes downstream as part of our fieldwork) - I used a dispersion diagram - the reason we did this was because it gave is the median (middle number) for each site. We could then see how the bed load changed downstream. It also gave us the inter quartile range (how varied our results were at each site) from this data we then plotted the medians, UQ and LQ values on graph paper so we could look for any significant trends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194
To Welback- You would say how you did the method and why you chose it and give strengths like you could repeat the same technique ten times to give an average, this is a good method as it is easily replicated it shows the average of surface velocity and how it increases downstream :smile:

thanks
Reply 195

write about advantages of scatter diagrams,

e.g, allows large number of data to be plotted,

e.g. Line of best fit can be put into graph to show any correlation, as well as identify any anomalies...etc

Link back to your aim, The graph can help you identify any relationship between your dependent and independent variable, so see if it agrees with your aim/hypothesis/theory etc :smile:
Reply 196
Original post by MobQ
Advantages:
Shows us statistically whether there is a relationship

Disadvantages:
Lengthy calculation so mistakes could invalidate final result
Only works with 2 variables
Doesn't show non linear relationships (only positive or negative correlations)

I myself need to know more advantages :tongue:

Just gonna add in and say that another advantage of Spearmans rank is that it gives a numerical value for the correlation so it is objective rather than subjective such as a line of best fit on a graph.
Reply 197
Original post by lucasluke

You shouldn't need to know them off by heart! Still know them and know how to do them... the last time that Spearmans Rank and Standard deviation was used, the formula was given. So hopefully, that is still the case!
My main fear tomorrow is that a field sketch comes up, I'm terrible at drawing!
How much is this exam worth? Compared to Unit 1:smile:?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending