The Student Room Group

AQA AS Unit 1 French exam 21st May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by garga
hi I was wondering what are some standard subjunctive phrases that we can throw in to get those extra marks. I'm not the best with the subjunctive but I know how to form it. It's just when and where to use it!

My speciality :tongue: Here I ones I commonly use:

-Autant que je sache = As far as I know
-Quoi qu'il en soit = whatever the case
-Bien que je puisse comprendre pourquoi certaines personnes pensent que = Although I can understand why certain people think that...
-Malgré le fait que + subjunctive = Despite the fact that....
-Jusqu'à ce que + subjunctive = until
-Je ne pense que + subjunctive = I don't think that
-Je doute que + subjunctive = I doubt that
-Il est bizarre/étrange que + subjunctive = It's bizarre/strange that

Edit: Just remembered some more

-Il semble que + subjunctive = It seems that (Il me semble que doesn't take the subjunctive however)
-Il est important/possible que + subjunctive = It is important/possible that
-Il vaut mieux que + subjuntive = It would be better that
Hope that helped some!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 61
Anybody got any last minute tips? Could do with some as I'm pretty damn nervous!
Reply 62
Original post by sh7171
How many sides do you guys usually write in the essay?

I did an essay in class (as part of a whole timed mock exam) about marriage and its declining popularity. I got 30/35 and wrote just over 3 sides. Judging by the candidate exemplars on AQAs website most high scoring candidates were writing somewhere between 3 and 4 sides. Most of the people who got full marks wrote 4 sides, though this is not to say that you cannot achieve full marks with just 3 sides. It is about range of points, topic specific vocabulary, grammar, and "depth of treatment". As long as you get those down then you will do well.

In general, I'd say aim for 3 sides as most times people who have written this much tend to have covered more points and developed them more with detail and thus score higher.

At the start of the year I was getting between 18-24 cause I was only writing maybe 2 points/arguments covering about 1 page and a half -2 pages. As soon as I started writing more and thinking more in-depth about the question and all the different points- I started getting higher marks.
Reply 63
Original post by sh7171
How many sides do you guys usually write in the essay?

for my german I wrote 3 1/2 sides :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by hebburn97
Anybody got any last minute tips? Could do with some as I'm pretty damn nervous!

Keep CALM!
maybe practise question 9, our teacher told us it could make a difference between two grades
Plan some essays, it's always useful. Sport or Holidays will probrably come up, if I were you ignore marriage and fashion, been on the last 2 papers consecutively
Also Family could come up :s-smilie:
Reply 65
Original post by eggz95
for my german I wrote 3 1/2 sides :smile:

I would say 4 sides with a chunky introduction and conclusion... And make sure you have a detailed plan so you don't waste time during the time you should write the essay - I try to leave at least 50 mins to write it and check it (and then re-check the listening and reading sections).

Bonne chance pour demain!
What is another way of saying 'par exemple' in French?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dont, telles que, parmi lesquelles, à titre d'illustration, à titre d'exemple.. etc.
Reply 68
does anyone know how to say 'it keeps people off the streets' or something along those lines? thanks and good luck! x
Reply 69
Original post by FH1
I would say 4 sides with a chunky introduction and conclusion... And make sure you have a detailed plan so you don't waste time during the time you should write the essay - I try to leave at least 50 mins to write it and check it (and then re-check the listening and reading sections).

Bonne chance pour demain!

Bon chance aussi!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Original post by Chocip
My speciality :tongue: Here I ones I commonly use:

-Autant que je sache = As far as I know
-Quoi qu'il en soit = whatever the case
-Bien que je puisse comprendre pourquoi certaines personnes pensent que = Although I can understand why certain people think that...
-Malgré le fait que + subjunctive = Despite the fact that....
-Jusqu'à ce que + subjunctive = until
-Je ne pense que + subjunctive = I don't think that
-Je doute que + subjunctive = I doubt that
-Il est bizarre/étrange que + subjunctive = It's bizarre/strange that

Edit: Just remembered some more

-Il semble que + subjunctive = It seems that (Il me semble que doesn't take the subjunctive however)
-Il est important/possible que + subjunctive = It is important/possible that
-Il vaut mieux que + subjuntive = It would be better that
Hope that helped some!

wow merci beaucoup!
Reply 71
Original post by S-Angel
does anyone know how to say 'it keeps people off the streets' or something along those lines? thanks and good luck! x

Garder les personnes loin de la rue = To keep people off the streets.
Reply 72
How did everyone feel this went? :smile:
Reply 73
Listening was mostly good! Thought the first reading question was a bit odd..
How did people find the cloze test? Had a few nasty things I felt, subjunctive...si clause...etc :smile:
Reply 74
I think it was okay, I made some mistakes that i've realised now & I just hope my essay is ok :s I know my accuracy won't be great, can you get a low accuracy mark and still a high content and structure etc marks?
Reply 75
Original post by William24
How did everyone feel this went? :smile:

Definitely not my best-completely mis-timed it- but I thought the paper itself was fine, how about you?
Reply 76
What essay question did you do?
Reply 77
I thought the paper was nice on a whole. The holiday essay was an absolute dream :biggrin: There were some tricky bits in the listening, especially the Sengalese director. The reading was mostly fine though :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by Goosegogs
Listening was mostly good! Thought the first reading question was a bit odd..
How did people find the cloze test? Had a few nasty things I felt, subjunctive...si clause...etc :smile:

Yeah I thought that one was quite tricky. I was confident with 'femmes' for the sentence about pregnancy but other than that I'm not 100% sure. I didn't use 'apparaitre' or 'disapparaitre' I chose 'moitie' for the sentence about smokers and 'maladie' for the sentence at the bottom of the first page, allergique for the one about a severe reaction, 'vertus' for the first sentence and I can't really remember the others off the top of my head! How about you?
Reply 79
Original post by amy.2209
Yeah I thought that one was quite tricky. I was confident with 'femmes' for the sentence about pregnancy but other than that I'm not 100% sure. I didn't use 'apparaitre' or 'disapparaitre' I chose 'moitie' for the sentence about smokers and 'maladie' for the sentence at the bottom of the first page, allergique for the one about a severe reaction, 'vertus' for the first sentence and I can't really remember the others off the top of my head! How about you?

I used 'disapparaitre' in the last sentence, when it was talking about until more research was carried out coffee machines in the work place should not be disappearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending