The Student Room Group

Law at University FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Thanks for Good article. Its benefit for me.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 141
This is awesome thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 142
If I do law at a non Russel group university would I have a good chance in getting a job in a good London firm depending on the "grade" I get like first, 2.1, etc?
Reply 143
Well written and informative article, thanks for sharing!
Reply 144
What is the difference between a BA Law and LLB Law? thanks
Reply 145
Original post by WeeGuy
What is the difference between a BA Law and LLB Law? thanks

I didn't think there was a difference, I thought LLB stood for a Bachelor degree in law.
Reply 146
Original post by Luke070
I didn't think there was a difference, I thought LLB stood for a Bachelor degree in law.

http://www.stir.ac.uk/undergraduate-study/course-information/courses-a-to-z/

link to stirling uni they offer LLB and BA

the LLB entry AABB HIGHERS
BA entry BBBB HIGHERS

there must be a difference.
Reply 147
LLB is a qualifying degree which exempts you from the academic requirements for becoming a barrister or solicitor. The BA is just a standard degree. In order to become a barrister or solicitor you usually need either a LLB or a GDL (a law conversion course)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beccac3
LLB is a qualifying degree which exempts you from the academic requirements for becoming a barrister or solicitor. The BA is just a standard degree. In order to become a barrister or solicitor you usually need either a LLB or a GDL (a law conversion course)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whether a degree is a qualifying law degree has nothing to do with whether it is a BA or an LLB (or for that matter a BSc).

The standard law degrees at Oxford and Cambridge are both BAs. It is possible to do a QLD at Nottingham that is a BA and it isn't all that long ago since the standard law degrees at Durham, Leicester and Kent were all BAs. The only QLDs that are BScs are now joint honours degrees but that wasn't always the case. There are plenty of graduates with BScs in law.
Reply 149
Original post by nulli tertius
Whether a degree is a qualifying law degree has nothing to do with whether it is a BA or an LLB (or for that matter a BSc).

The standard law degrees at Oxford and Cambridge are both BAs. It is possible to do a QLD at Nottingham that is a BA and it isn't all that long ago since the standard law degrees at Durham, Leicester and Kent were all BAs. The only QLDs that are BScs are now joint honours degrees but that wasn't always the case. There are plenty of graduates with BScs in law.

Fair enough. my law teacher told me to avoid BA courses because they won't get you into law. Although she isn't that reliable a source on most things so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by beccac3
Fair enough. my law teacher told me to avoid BA courses because they won't get you into law. Although she isn't that reliable a source on most things so...

This is the list of qualifying law degrees

http://www.sra.org.uk/students/courses/Qualifying-law-degree-providers.page

Whether a particular student's degree is a QLD depends on whether he or she does the 7 core subjects. At some universities they are compulsory, at others they are not. As a generalisation it is usually easier to do a degree which doesn't amount to a QLD if it is a BA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
how are you usually examined in university for law? :smile:
Reply 152
Could you tell me how manu hours you spend in lectures,etc.. How much free time do you have? Does it depend on unis ?
Reply 153
Original post by Shahid786
Could you tell me how manu hours you spend in lectures,etc.. How much free time do you have? Does it depend on unis ?

I've just gone into first year studying Scots Law LLB and my lectures consist of 3 per module and you do 3 modules a semester. That amounts to 9 hours lecture time and you usually have 2 tutorials a week so in total about 11 hours teaching time a week and I'd say you have to match that with preparation/reading etc throughout the whole week.
Reply 154
How exactly do you study law? I mean you dont learn laws by heart? Donyou debate about them ?
[INDENT]PLEASE HELP ME!
I didn't meet my LSE offer in 2014 because I got a B in A level History.Now, I am planning to reapply to universities and retake A level History in May. My question is whether universities give you conditions on retakes after you have already taken your A levels?
Thank you [/INDENT]
Reply 156
Original post by furqanmushtaq
[INDENT]PLEASE HELP ME!
I didn't meet my LSE offer in 2014 because I got a B in A level History.Now, I am planning to reapply to universities and retake A level History in May. My question is whether universities give you conditions on retakes after you have already taken your A levels?
Thank you [/INDENT]

Would need to ask the university or look at their entry requirements, some say first sitting.
Hello, I'm new to TSR today :smile: I'm currently studying AS and have to apply to Uni soon. I want to do Law (probably human rights) eventually, but not sure if I should do an english or geography degree at Uni and then a conversion, or do a normal Law degree straight off. Any ideas? Has anyone done a conversion course and could give me a first hand insight; or has anyone been in a similar predicament and can explain why they picked one or the other? so confused about what to do!
Reply 158
Original post by Gracie Alanna
Hello, I'm new to TSR today :smile: I'm currently studying AS and have to apply to Uni soon. I want to do Law (probably human rights) eventually, but not sure if I should do an english or geography degree at Uni and then a conversion, or do a normal Law degree straight off. Any ideas? Has anyone done a conversion course and could give me a first hand insight; or has anyone been in a similar predicament and can explain why they picked one or the other? so confused about what to do!

First thing you want to establish is whether or not you want to do an LLB in law or not. If not that conversion from one subject to another would be fairly easy. If you want to do an LLB (course that allows you to practice law) then conversion is near impossible from another course. I know of someone who has currently got a degree and is now doing a law degree in 2 years just by covering the basic modules.
I can't help but find the bias towards Law at A-Level so frustrating to think about. Well, I'm biased too, since I'm currently doing it, but still.

Out of all my subjects (History and English) Law (CIE) is by far my most difficult. Unless you do the course it's difficult to explain not only the scope, but the depth of the teaching.

My law teachers are actually all lecturers/senior lecturers at the local law school (an affiliate of the university of Liverpool) and teach us almost exactly the same subject material, albeit more condensed.

There is no way that when I start uni in September I won't have a slight advantage. Especially since Tort and Contract will be in my first year and those are my A2 subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending