The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

new to this - i am doing moon of the tides, is there any indication of which poems may come up based on previous exams ?
what did B-A* candidates write about Eric on 'An Inspector Calls'
Wow. Pretty much everyone except me and one friend of mine has chosen to write about the ending of An Inspector Calls instead of Eric.

It was pretty simple, tbh - I was expecting a "nature" question to come up for OMaM, due to the paranoia around this thread. Slim was pretty easy to write about, so I expect the grade boundaries will be slightly higher than usual, unfortunately.
Reply 2163
Original post by fbrep2012
what did B-A* candidates write about Eric on 'An Inspector Calls'

-influence of alcohol
-hypocrisy - says mrs birling treated him like an animal, when he in fact treated her 'as if she was an animal'
-sense of regret in contrast to the older generation
Reply 2164
MICE&MEN

his knowledge on 'politics or love' highlight Slim's character
Much like a politician he has business-like efficiency. However, 'love' is a more abstract topic, requiring empathy. This is shown when he is described as having a 'gentle voice'.
i wrote all the rest of the standard stuff
Part b: When Slim turned on the 'electric light', the table near him was 'bright' but the corners of the bunkhouse were 'still in dusk'. I said this shows the light is brightest where he is, and darker as you move away. This suggests he is the core of the ranch and a figure of inspiration. People may have seen him as a figure of inspiration. Despite the harsh 1930s economic depression, people still had some optimism due to Roosevelt's New deal and the 3Rs: relief, recovery and reform.

I also talked about crooks and how the ranch workers thought he was better than him i wrote about 750 - 800 words in total?

i know i've posted this before, but what do people think?
Original post by Squidgy
June 2011:
Foundation -Singh Song and Brendon Gallacher
Higher -My Last Duchess and Medusa

Jan 2012:
Foundation -The Clown Punk and My Last Duchess
Higher - The Clown Punk and The Hunchback in the Park

June 2012:
Foundation -The Horse Whisperer and The River God
Higher -Checking Out Me History and Ozymandias

I thought medusa came up last year :-/ I know someone who sat the exam..
Reply 2166
I so thought i was going to fail that, but i think I did alright. I did To Kill A Mockingbird and the question on the ending of An Inspector Calls, even though all last week our teachers were focusing on Eric because he hadn't come up. I actually found that pretty easy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2167
Original post by Jennielou123
I thought medusa came up last year :-/ I know someone who sat the exam..

Oh I might have got mixed up, I had all 6 exam papers open at the same time :s-smilie:
Original post by Avor
MICE&MEN

his knowledge on 'politics or love' highlight Slim's character
Much like a politician he has business-like efficiency. However, 'love' is a more abstract topic, requiring empathy. This is shown when he is described as having a 'gentle voice'.
i wrote all the rest of the standard stuff
Part b: When Slim turned on the 'electric light', the table near him was 'bright' but the corners of the bunkhouse were 'still in dusk'. I said this shows the light is brightest where he is, and darker as you move away. This suggests he is the core of the ranch and a figure of inspiration. People may have seen him as a figure of inspiration. Despite the harsh 1930s economic depression, people still had some optimism due to Roosevelt's New deal and the 3Rs: relief, recovery and reform.

I also talked about crooks and how the ranch workers thought he was better than him i wrote about 750 - 800 words in total?

i know i've posted this before, but what do people think?

I'll be very surprised if that doesn't get you top marks :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
sonnet 116, to his coy mistress and ghazal are predicted to come up
just look at any pattern in the previous papers

most scholls predicted slim to come up and fortunately he did
was pretty happy about that
hiya, well i screwed up in todays exam really bad. I think i may have got a C because i started to panic. In the poetry I got and A, and the cw i got a 37/40.. does anyone know what my overall grade might be? thanks
Reply 2171
Original post by nahidatiidzy
hiya, well i screwed up in todays exam really bad. I think i may have got a C because i started to panic. In the poetry I got and A, and the cw i got a 37/40.. does anyone know what my overall grade might be? thanks

if you get a C, which is highly unlikely considering the high standard of your CW and poetry skills:
1. about 55/80 ums in this
2. 48 UMS out of 50 for CW
3. 60 UMS out of 70 for poetry

average UMS 81.5% which is an A, but likely to be higher, or unlikely, a couple of % lower which would be a B

ABSOLUTE WORST CASE:
48/80
48/50
57/70

77% = B
(edited 10 years ago)
in past b in of mice and men i wrote the following points, anyone sure about how many marks i would get
* crooks being racially discriminated due to his colour
* curleys wife being a victim of sexism and male domination
*candy having to give up his dog just because hes old and smelly - possibly suggests how candy may have the same future also foreshadows lennies death
* stienbeck portrays slim in an overwhelming light giving many encouragement and motivation to uphold their social standars . slim gave hope to many
*contrast between curley and slim and how curley wears 'high heeled boots' yet hasnt the respect slim has been able to acheive . in a sense shows us how social status is not always eveerything.
* survival of the fittest / only slim and curley would possible survive

i did 2 sides and just expanded on these points anyone predict how many marks i would get out of 15
plzzz
Reply 2173
Original post by fezzy_123
in past b in of mice and men i wrote the following points, anyone sure about how many marks i would get
* crooks being racially discriminated due to his colour
* curleys wife being a victim of sexism and male domination
*candy having to give up his dog just because hes old and smelly - possibly suggests how candy may have the same future also foreshadows lennies death
* stienbeck portrays slim in an overwhelming light giving many encouragement and motivation to uphold their social standars . slim gave hope to many
*contrast between curley and slim and how curley wears 'high heeled boots' yet hasnt the respect slim has been able to acheive . in a sense shows us how social status is not always eveerything.
* survival of the fittest / only slim and curley would possible survive

i did 2 sides and just expanded on these points anyone predict how many marks i would get out of 15
plzzz

its out of 30...
and these points show variety + range, and good detail IF YOU BROKE DOWN THE LANGUAGE & gave enough detail about context. if you your part a was good, then about

22?23?24?25?26? depending on those factors
Reply 2174
Original post by Squidgy
June 2011:
Foundation -Singh Song and Brendon Gallacher
Higher -My Last Duchess and Medusa

Jan 2012:
Foundation -The Clown Punk and My Last Duchess
Higher - The Clown Punk and The Hunchback in the Park

June 2012:
Foundation -The Horse Whisperer and The River God
Higher -Checking Out Me History and Ozymandias

Thank you:smile:
Quick question: someone mentioned earlier on that ''Brendon Gallacher'' ''The ruined maid'' and ''give'' are foundation poems.. so wont be coming up in the higher paper, but can they still be used for comparison?
Reply 2175
Original post by ryanb97
WOW!!!

The ralph question for LOTF actually came up!!
.. and the slim one!!

I wrote the fastest i have ever done in that exam... i was on the last page of the booklet ( hopefully it wasnt all waffle :colondollar:)

I did the Ralph question for LOTF... it wasnt too bad!! ... although i hadnt read the ending in detail! - i think i averaged about 27/28 though (including spag)

the OMAM question was very very predictable - im happy i did the foundation paper question on it now... i think the extract bit was alright but part B i put too many vague points down.. grr
I think the grade boundaries will be the same... or even lower by a mark or 2 for an A*.... since slim is technically a minor character in the novel

TIME FOR POETRY THEN>>>

Ive attached PDF files for all the clusters in Moon on the tides...

they are good!!

you should know your clusters

C1 - C and V
C2-PLace
C3-conflict
C4-relationships

Im doing conflict...

here are a few links (will update) :

All of charachter and voice .. and all of conflict analysis :http://freeeschool.blogspot.com.au/

thats all ive got for now!

Ryan

You star. Thanks. I am doing relationships do you know what I should concentrate on???:biggrin:
POLL CONCLUSION: To Kill a Mockingbird 15/29 said HARD or ABOVE. Lord of The Flies 9/22 said HARD or ABOVE. Of Mice and Men showed that 17 found it EASY, 38 AVERAGE and 19 DIFFICULT. Short stories showed 12/31 HARD or ABOVE. Majority of the results showed hard the most popular category, if you sat TKAM and LofTF then 50% off you said hard or more, if you sat short stories the majority went with easy I am afraid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Avor
its out of 30...
and these points show variety + range, and good detail IF YOU BROKE DOWN THE LANGUAGE & gave enough detail about context. if you your part a was good, then about

22?23?24?25?26? depending on those factors

oh thanxx, i hope so but these points were the ones i wrote for part b which is out of 15
part a was only on the passage :redface:
Original post by Avor
if you get a C, which is highly unlikely considering the high standard of your CW and poetry skills:
1. about 55/80 ums in this
2. 48 UMS out of 50 for CW
3. 60 UMS out of 70 for poetry

average UMS 81.5% which is an A, but likely to be higher, or unlikely, a couple of % lower which would be a B

ABSOLUTE WORST CASE:
48/80
48/50
57/70

77% = B

Is there separate boundaries for the different set texts in today's exam? Eg would my To Kill a Mockingbird boundaries be different to Of Mice and Men?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2179
Original post by fezzy_123
oh thanxx, i hope so but these points were the ones i wrote for part b which is out of 15
part a was only on the passage :redface:

yeah i know but the examiner will read and assess your response as a whole, you technically can do a paragraph for part b just so u refer to context and get full marks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending