The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AdamStott64
It's complementary to the mRNA, not the amino acid. The tRNA with a certain anticodon is 'specific' to the amino acid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand that.. I mean if for example, if a question asks: whats the codon for the amino acid transported by the tRNA with the anticodon CGG? Would it be CGG or GGC?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Londrinna
I understand that.. I mean if for example, if a question asks: whats the codon for the amino acid transported by the tRNA with the anticodon CGG? Would it be CGG or GGC?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would be neither of the ones that you mentioned. Instead it would be GCC, given that guanine ia conplementary to cytosine and vice versa

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JoshL123
It would be neither of the ones that you mentioned. Instead it would be GCC, given that guanine ia conplementary to cytosine and vice versa

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry thats what I meant GCC* so the amino acid attached to the tRNA is complementary to the tRNA's anticodon, and is also then the original DNA sequence?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is everyone revising at this stage? DREADING the essay :'(
Sorry thats what I meant GCC* so the amino acid attached to the tRNA is complementary to the tRNA's anticodon, and is also then the original DNA sequence?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically your trna molecule has an anticodon to one end and the amino acid binding site to the other. I wouldnt really say that the anticodon is complimentary to the amino acid as it is in now way bonded to it. You must mean that it is the anticodon of the trna that is complimentary to the codon of mrna. However it is each codon on mrna (and thus anticodon of trna) that corresponds to a given amino acid. You sequencence of organic bases of mrna is complementary to the sequence of organic bases of the strand of dna that forms the template :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by master y
How is everyone revising at this stage? DREADING the essay :'(

I have been writing my notes, in 'essay' form to help me with the essay and to also actually remember them. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically your trna molecule has an anticodon to one end and the amino acid binding site to the other. I wouldnt really say that the anticodon is complimentary to the amino acid as it is in now way bonded to it. You must mean that it is the anticodon of the trna that is complimentary to the codon of mrna. However it is each codon on mrna (and thus anticodon of trna) that corresponds to a given amino acid. You sequencence of organic bases of mrna is complementary to the sequence of organic bases of the strand of dna that forms the template :smile:

Okay thanks,.. Making my question in a different way: is simply the anticodon on the trna, the code for the amino acid which it 'carries' ? Sorry for insisting on this...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay thanks,.. Making my question in a different way: is simply the anticodon on the trna, the code for the amino acid which it 'carries' ? Sorry for insisting on this...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's a better way to word it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdamStott64
Yeah that's a better way to word it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:tongue: thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1229
When doing min number of nucleotide base/amino acid calculations does anyone know if we are supposed to take start/stop codons into consideration?
Original post by Gnome :)
There are some Na+ channels open, but these are not the voltage-gated ones; these ones are just... there, letting the Na+ do it's thing :smile:

The negative charge inside the axon is a result of:
- The sodium-potassium pump actively transporting 2 K+ in for every 3 Na+ out (so there are more positive ions moving out of the axon)
- Negatively charged proteins in the axon
- There are more (NOT voltage-gated) channels for K+ than there are for Na+, so the axon membrane is more permeable to K+. This means that K+ diffuses along the concentration gradient (at a greater rate than Na+ diffuses in) , taking its positivity with it :tongue:

Hope that makes sense!

Hey there :smile: Yes, there Na+ voltage gated ion channels that are open as are K+ voltage gated ion channels. However, there are many more K+ voltage gated ion channels open than Na+ voltage gated ion channels. I believe that at the given point in time, the plasma membrane is approximately 100 times more permeable to K+ ions than Na+ ions. These means that the majority of K+ ions diffuse down a concentration gradient from an area of high concentration (within the interior of the axon) to an area of low concentration (in the surrounding tissue fluid). It is important to note down that this doesn't occur at the point of resting potential (approximately -70mV) but rather when establishing it (i.e. following an action potential). The movement of ions occurs until the electrical and chemical gradient formed across the plasma membrane are balanced, as to ensure that there is no net movement of ions :smile:

Hope that helps!

thanks to both of you. I think I'll stick to neither voltage gated channels being open as that was what I was taught, despite the book saying something different. However is it even necessary to mention the word 'voltage' at all?
Original post by Tikara
When doing min number of nucleotide base/amino acid calculations does anyone know if we are supposed to take start/stop codons into consideration?

It's usually just times or divide by three, which is the safest option, but we were told if you did take into consideration the start/stop codes then you'd usually be awarded the mark.
Reply 1232
Hey Guys,

http://quizlet.com/11320494/learn/

^^ The above link is something I found really useful, especially to see how well I know the content! Hopefully you guys find it useful too :smile:
Original post by candyhearts
thanks to both of you. I think I'll stick to neither voltage gated channels being open as that was what I was taught, despite the book saying something different. However is it even necessary to mention the word 'voltage' at all?

Yes, it is better to refer to them as "voltage gated channels" as there are also non voltage gated channels as well, just to confuse us :tongue:
Reply 1234
Original post by candyhearts
It's usually just times or divide by three, which is the safest option, but we were told if you did take into consideration the start/stop codes then you'd usually be awarded the mark.

Yeah I saw that in one examiner note thing so I think I'll just disregard them

Original post by MLogan
Hey Guys,

^^ The above link is something I found really useful, especially to see how well I know the content! Hopefully you guys find it useful too :smile:

That quiz was great thanks :smile: I got mainly little things wrong like acetylcholinesterase instead of cholinesterase and it highlighted how I need to go over gluconeogenesis and stuff :P
Original post by MLogan
Hey Guys,

Very useful, thanks :smile:
Reply 1236
Original post by Tikara
Yeah I saw that in one examiner note thing so I think I'll just disregard them

That quiz was great thanks :smile: I got mainly little things wrong like acetylcholinesterase instead of cholinesterase and it highlighted how I need to go over gluconeogenesis and stuff :P

Original post by Starlight94
Very useful, thanks :smile:

Your Welcome guys! From doing this i found out one thing i'm really failing on! SPELLING :| I will try and search for more resources, i like learning it this way cause then you wont really get bored!
Reply 1237
How confident are people feeling for this exam?
Original post by MLogan
Your Welcome guys! From doing this i found out one thing i'm really failing on! SPELLING :| I will try and search for more resources, i like learning it this way cause then you wont really get bored!

I always thought it was Sacromere!!
Reply 1239
Original post by frogs r everywhere
I always thought it was Sacromere!!

lol the thing with me is know the stuff just not how to spell it for e.g the enzyme used to hydrolyse the neurotransmitter - I would write as acetylcholinesterase but it is in fact acetylcholinesterase. THE WORDS ARE TO BIG!

Latest

Trending

Trending