The Student Room Group

AS and A2 chemistry practical exams 2013 CCEA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by condor789
Yeah you got all that right except it was zinc sulfate, the white precipitate dissolved in excess NH3, though it was really hard to tell!

This is for the A2 module right?
Reply 21
I knew 7 was my lucky number for a reason. I thought I'd messed up the value of x, so glad to hear other people got the same :smile:

I also got zinc and ammonium sulfate, -oh present and c=c absent :smile:

Can anyone remember what they got for the percentage yield question?
Reply 22
Original post by krisachick
I knew 7 was my lucky number for a reason. I thought I'd messed up the value of x, so glad to hear other people got the same :smile:

I also got zinc and ammonium sulfate, -oh present and c=c absent :smile:

Can anyone remember what they got for the percentage yield question?

I got 79.1% but others got around 30%? I think I made a mistake with the rfm
Reply 23
Original post by Aaroncarlisle
This is for the A2 module right?

No lol. A2 was hydrated chromium (iii) chloride and propanoic acid
How did everyone test for carbonate ions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MatthewG_94

Posted from TSR Mobile

Limewater it didn't say about distinguishing between carbonate and hydrogen carbonate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
I though it was alright I got Ammonium Sulphate but I wrote Magnesium Sulphate, for the other salt because of the white crystalline solids being group 1, 2 or ammonium salts. I completely messed up the organic question I said that there was a c=c group present and that the hydroxyl group was absent :P Ah well apart from that :s-smilie:
Reply 27
Original post by MatthewG_94

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently it is Magnesium Nitrate. They'll accept Magnesium Chloride. It will form a white ppt. when in contact with CO3 ions.
Original post by toreilly102
Apparently it is Magnesium Nitrate. They'll accept Magnesium Chloride. It will form a white ppt. when in contact with CO3 ions.

Ahh I knew it was a solution of magnesium ions that had to be added but I thought the magnesium ions could come from anything so I just out magnesium sulphate solution!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by UnknownError
Limewater it didn't say about distinguishing between carbonate and hydrogen carbonate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Limewater tests for CO2, think the answer was magnesium chloride or nitrate.
Limewater tests for CO2, think the answer was magnesium chloride or nitrate.

You can add carbonate to dilute HNO3 and collect the gas and bubble it through limewater

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
You can add carbonate to dilute HNO3 and collect the gas and bubble it through limewater

But wouldn't a hydrogen carbonate give the same result?
Original post by ChrisBee
But wouldn't a hydrogen carbonate give the same result?

Yeah but it's still proving carbonate ions are present

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't remember but was the water of crystallisation value depend on your titration value.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Yeah but it's still proving carbonate ions are present

Posted from TSR Mobile

The wanted proof of carbonate ions, not hydrogen carbonate. Pretty sure they wont accept that answer
The wanted proof of carbonate ions, not hydrogen carbonate. Pretty sure they wont accept that answer

I think they would as it does test for carbonate ions, maybe loss 1 mark if any. I may be wrong but I thought that as mg was in the thing anyway you could assume that there were no hydrogen carbonate ions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did you do the first question? How did you get a 250cm^3 sol^ of the mass? Was it divide by 4?
Reply 37
How did you do the first question? How did you get a 250cm^3 sol^ of the mass? Was it divide by 4?

I divided 11.60gdm3 by 4 bt im not too sure about it :/ wht did everyone else do?
I did the same thing! Yay! Why was using a water bath good?
I did the same thing! Yay! Why was using a water bath good?

I just said because it heats gently, not sure if that would get the mark but it seems reasonable doesn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply