The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Biology B4B5B6 - 10/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Knowing
Exactly, no idea what trend or anything they were looking for... most annoying one was the pie chart question asking to show calculations... what calculations -.-... anyway I'm sure lots of people misunderstood questions and got them wrong so yeah, 40% for an A* please? :wink:

I didn't put any calculations hehe mainly because I had to do that whole question in 3 minutes, I just wrote some irrelevant **** about heart attacks ( A* here I come ) that bull dog question was also so annoying , why was there like 1 question on actual biology ? :angry:
Reply 181
Original post by sarahiscool
I didn't put any calculations hehe mainly because I had to do that whole question in 3 minutes, I just wrote some irrelevant **** about heart attacks ( A* here I come ) that bull dog question was also so annoying , why was there like 1 question on actual biology ? :angry:

Which question was that?

and yeah the bull dog one was really hard to find arguments against a ban :mad:
Original post by Knowing
Which question was that?

and yeah the bull dog one was really hard to find arguments against a ban :mad:

the one with the pie charts ... now that I think about it I think I completely misinterpreted that question opps well there goes 6 marks
Reply 183
Original post by IHTWFR
HOW did you lot get full marks on modules 1 - 3?

HOW DID YOU REVISE!! AND HOW ARE YOU REVISING FOR MODULES 4 - 6?

I need 128/160 for A in Bio
I need 120/160 for A in Physics and Chemistry

Anyone with full marks tell me how you revised please as I need these A's otherwise my GCSE results will look ****.

the secret is to revise!!

nah but i used the CGP books and literally remembered every line (pragmatically) !

i ended up with 140,140,137... in bio,chem,physics respectivley

ryan
Original post by ryanb97
the secret is to revise!!

nah but i used the CGP books and literally remembered every line (pragmatically) !

i ended up with 140,140,137... in bio,chem,physics respectivley

ryan

How early did you start? And have you started for B4, B5, B6 yet?
Reply 185
Original post by IHTWFR
How early did you start? And have you started for B4, B5, B6 yet?

i knew my school wouldnt finish all the modules... so i self taught the majority...

this year i revised my ass off... i had finished going through all the sciences by january ... that was the only thing i was concentrating on
now i have been revising for other subjects
its been nearly 2 months since ive gone back to the sciences... so i need a good recap in the holidays :biggrin:

ryan
Original post by ryanb97
i knew my school wouldnt finish all the modules... so i self taught the majority...

this year i revised my ass off... i had finished going through all the sciences by january ... that was the only thing i was concentrating on
now i have been revising for other subjects
its been nearly 2 months since ive gone back to the sciences... so i need a good recap in the holidays :biggrin:

ryan

Inspiration.

Biology Exams on the 10th of June, not long away. You still revising from the CGP books? I just have a feeling I'm not going to get 128/160 and be stuck with a B overall because my teacher can't mark coursework for ****.
Reply 187
Original post by IHTWFR
Inspiration.

Biology Exams on the 10th of June, not long away. You still revising from the CGP books? I just have a feeling I'm not going to get 128/160 and be stuck with a B overall because my teacher can't mark coursework for ****.

128.. its fairly low that is only a A...i think you will needonly 60/85 raw arks for that..so thats like 100% on the 1st 2 questions and part D... you could miss out all of Section C (although i dont recommend)

what did you get in your C/A
Original post by ryanb97
128.. its fairly low that is only a A...i think you will needonly 60/85 raw arks for that..so thats like 100% on the 1st 2 questions and part D... you could miss out all of Section C (although i dont recommend)

what did you get in your C/A

Fairly low for you but to me it's a big thing for me :biggrin: I can do it but it's the fact I have other exams I need to focus on.

Biology : 34/48
Chemistry : 40/48
Physics : 37/48

How many questions are there in total and how many marks is Section D?
Original post by IHTWFR
Fairly low for you but to me it's a big thing for me :biggrin: I can do it but it's the fact I have other exams I need to focus on.

Biology : 34/48
Chemistry : 40/48
Physics : 37/48

How many questions are there in total and how many marks is Section D?

I think section d is 10 marks whilst the other 3 sections constitute 75 marks in total :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BP_Tranquility
I think section d is 10 marks whilst the other 3 sections constitute 75 marks in total :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I heard from my teacher that B6,C6,P6 Section will be the section with the least amount of questions in comparison to the other 2 sections?
Original post by IHTWFR
I heard from my teacher that B6,C6,P6 Section will be the section with the least amount of questions in comparison to the other 2 sections?

Hmm...Not sure about that and I don't think are any past papers so we can check :redface:
I've found some cool science music videos which can be used for inspiration: Enjoy :smile:

Physics:
Big Beginning- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HBkZPyfpdE
Quantum World- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZGINaRUEkU

Chemistry:
Atomic Bonding Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljvX-RMv_lw
Our Biggest Challenge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHP9Rh-ooh0

Biology:
Evolution- Greatest Show on Earth- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxDOpAM2FrQ
Our Story in 1 Minute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSt9tm3RoUU
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 193
Gonna revise all this in the holidays need around 150 in Biology and 155+ in Physics and Chemistry. Talk about the pressure being on but I love exams:colone:.
Hi,
Can someone please help me and tell me how many marks i need on each exam to get A/A*?

At the moment my CAs are:
bio 37/48
chem 42/48
phy 42/48

My 123 results are (ums):
bio 124
chem 126
phy 117

Thanks! :smile: I'm really worried I won't get my A/A* which I really need :frown:
Also, if someone could pass me on a link to the specimen papers for 456, it would be very much appreciated :tongue:
Original post by Zippyzazu
Hi,
Can someone please help me and tell me how many marks i need on each exam to get A/A*?

At the moment my CAs are:
bio 37/48
chem 42/48
phy 42/48

My 123 results are (ums):
bio 124
chem 126
phy 117

Thanks! :smile: I'm really worried I won't get my A/A* which I really need :frown:
Also, if someone could pass me on a link to the specimen papers for 456, it would be very much appreciated :tongue:

Well for an A*, you need 360/400 UMS points. I'm not sure how many UMS marks your controlled assessment marks are but I think biology is 80 UMS (an A) whilst physics and chemistry are 90 UMS (A*).

For biology, you need 156/160 UMS for an A*. For chemistry, you need 144/160 UMS marks and for physics, you would need 153/160 UMS marks for an A*. To find out how many UMS you need for an A, subtract 40 from the marks I've given you. However I would wait until someone can confirm what I've said is accurate :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well for an A*, you need 360/400 UMS points. I'm not sure how many UMS marks your controlled assessment marks are but I think biology is 80 UMS (an A) whilst physics and chemistry are 90 UMS (A*).

For biology, you need 156/160 UMS for an A*. For chemistry, you need 144/160 UMS marks and for physics, you would need 153/160 UMS marks for an A*. To find out how many UMS you need for an A, subtract 40 from the marks I've given you. However I would wait until someone can confirm what I've said is accurate :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :smile: Just checking how many marks is that? I think I might have to aim for As haha :P
Original post by Zippyzazu
Thank you! :smile: Just checking how many marks is that? I think I might have to aim for As haha :P

Unfortunately, since no one has sat the modules 4/5/6 exams before, it's hard to tell. :redface:

However, for chemistry, you would need to touch the grade boundary for an A* and for physics/ biology you need very high A*s. For chemistry, you need a mark which was a mid/high C for an A overall. For physics, you need to hit the grade boundary for a B for an A overall and for biology, you need to have a mid-B for an A overall. That is, if my maths is correct (I've calculated this using UMS boundaries) but I would try and aim higher :tongue:

EDIT: I've attached the specimen papers you requested (for biology, chemistry, physics)- apologies for the poor naming of the files :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Unfortunately, since no one has sat the modules 4/5/6 exams before, it's hard to tell. :redface:

However, for chemistry, you would need to touch the grade boundary for an A* and for physics/ biology you need very high A*s. For chemistry, you need a mark which was a mid/high C for an A overall. For physics, you need to hit the grade boundary for a B for an A overall and for biology, you need to have a mid-B for an A overall. That is, if my maths is correct (I've calculated this using UMS boundaries) but I would try and aim higher :tongue:

EDIT: I've attached the specimen papers you requested (for biology, chemistry, physics)- apologies for the poor naming of the files :wink:

hehe, ok thank you! i'm just going to aim for A*s all around, then see what happens! :P thanks also for the specimen papers- you're a lifesaver :biggrin: how's your revision going?? what grades are you hoping for? also, how many exams do you have left?
Original post by Red Fox
Gonna revise all this in the holidays need around 150 in Biology and 155+ in Physics and Chemistry. Talk about the pressure being on but I love exams:colone:.

How will you be revising?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending