The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3800
Original post by anonymouse01
What's your job dude?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I work for a modelling agency. We scout male models for high fashion designers i.e Armani, D&G etc and other companies who require models for whatever reason.
Reply 3801
Original post by CD2112
Male model. A small mid-face is not necessarily imperative, rather a balanced and proportionate midface in relation to bone structure is the key. Ha yeh 6/10 at the moment. Canthoplasty + muscle mass/low bf % + tan = 8.5 & possibly a modelling contract. Also have to be over 6ft aswell.

Bodyfat of a model is usually 8-10%right?
Reply 3802
Original post by ZRO
Bodyfat of a model is usually 8-10%right?

Around that yes.
Original post by CD2112
Male model. A small mid-face is not necessarily imperative, rather a balanced and proportionate midface in relation to bone structure is the key. Ha yeh 6/10 at the moment. Canthoplasty + muscle mass/low bf % + tan = 8.5 & possibly a modelling contract. Also have to be over 6ft aswell.

Interesting. I'd heard that a smaller midface was better (ratio of 0.8 to 1.2? With Closer to 0.8 being better). Someone with a midface larger than that would probably look very strange and elongated to my eyes. I hear that the distance between the nose and the upper lip is important too. I'd imagine that for being a male model, a very angular face with a small midface would help since lenses can exaggerate facial lengths, which should, in theory, lead to you being more photogenic.

I imagine that getting the surgery would be like £2,000, minimum... not worth it for me. I'm fine with how attractive I am (plus, working on the tan + muscle mass, and I'm already 6'4"). I guess it was never meant to be. :tongue:
Reply 3804
Original post by JordanR
Interesting. I'd heard that a smaller midface was better (ratio of 0.8 to 1.2? With Closer to 0.8 being better). Someone with a midface larger than that would probably look very strange and elongated to my eyes.

Think you've got that mixed up a bit. Basically:
> 1 = compact midface
1 > 0.9 = average midface
< 0.9 = long midface

Again though it isn't massively important so long as proportions of facial thirds are on point. I hardly go around measuring models faces with a protractor ha, although I admit if I did, the majority would probably have a compact midface. David Beckham for example has an average midface. You have a relatively compact midface but your forehead is slightly larger than usual (no offence ha) so it distorts things a little.
I don't think people with long midfaces necessarily look 'strange'. Ryan Gosling has a long midface and he is obviously still attractive, although he would probably be rejected as a high profile mm.
Reply 3805
Your jawline is perfect

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD2112
Think you've got that mixed up a bit. Basically:
> 1 = compact midface
1 > 0.9 = average midface
< 0.9 = long midface

Again though it isn't massively important so long as proportions of facial thirds are on point. I hardly go around measuring models faces with a protractor ha, although I admit if I did, the majority would probably have a compact midface. David Beckham for example has an average midface. You have a relatively compact midface but your forehead is slightly larger than usual (no offence ha) so it distorts things a little.
I don't think people with long midfaces necessarily look 'strange'. Ryan Gosling has a long midface and he is obviously still attractive, although he would probably be rejected as a high profile mm.

Oops, yeah. Although I was basing the midface thing on this.

The lower the number is, the more compact your midface is and the more attractive you would tend to be. If it is 0.8-1.2 that is good. Outside of that range, it's not so good...almost universally. Generally, the closer to 1 the better. So, I'd say that is the most important (even though it's not a "feature"), though other things matter.

No offence taken, I think all this stuff is actually quite interesting. I wonder if we'll ever be able to quantify exactly what "attractive" is... probably not, since there are always going to be personal preferences and stuff that throw people off. Ryan Gosling is interesting since I'd say that technically speaking, almost all of his face doesn't have conventionally attractive features. Narrow-set eyes, long midface, slight negative canthal tilt (?), yet the average person would class him as being very good looking (I know I definitely do).

Original post by heyyyy
Your jawline is perfect

Posted from TSR Mobile

who are you talking to? and did you really just sign up to say this?!

Hmmm def not my best but whatever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3808
Original post by JordanR
Oops, yeah. Although I was basing the midface thing on this.

No offence taken, I think all this stuff is actually quite interesting. I wonder if we'll ever be able to quantify exactly what "attractive" is... probably not, since there are always going to be personal preferences and stuff that throw people off. Ryan Gosling is interesting since I'd say that technically speaking, almost all of his face doesn't have conventionally attractive features. Narrow-set eyes, long midface, slight negative canthal tilt (?), yet the average person would class him as being very good looking (I know I definitely do).

You have obviously done a lot of research on this; wouldn't have expected the average guy to know about canthal tilt/midface etc. From a professional perspective like mine, the science behind this stuff is interesting yes, however in terms of attracting the opposite sex it is always undermined when you realise how subjective beauty can be.
One way of scientifically quantifying attractiveness is the 'Marquardt mask', but again there are always anomalies and exceptions to the rule which crop up now and again.
Original post by CD2112
You have obviously done a lot of research on this; wouldn't have expected the average guy to know about canthal tilt/midface etc. From a professional perspective like mine, the science behind this stuff is interesting yes, however in terms of attracting the opposite sex it is always undermined when you realise how subjective beauty can be.
One way of scientifically quantifying attractiveness is the 'Marquardt mask', but again there are always anomalies and exceptions to the rule which crop up now and again.

I only really got interested in it from browsing that thread on reddit and thought it was quite cool how much it can be quantified and measured and stuff; I always thought it was more down to random chance and that people's faces were more like jigsaws. Quite interesting. (I've also probably got more into these kind of ideas than most because I was the characteristic "ugly duckling" as a child and I feel like I've escaped it somewhat, which is cool.)

Yep, I've heard Tom Cruise is supposed to be perfect with that:

http://www.beautyanalysis.com/images/pg42RF---Tom-Cruise-w-Male-.jpg
Reply 3810
Original post by JordanR
I only really got interested in it from browsing that thread on reddit and thought it was quite cool how much it can be quantified and measured and stuff; I always thought it was more down to random chance and that people's faces were more like jigsaws. Quite interesting. (I've also probably got more into these kind of ideas than most because I was the characteristic "ugly duckling" as a child and I feel like I've escaped it somewhat, which is cool.)

Yep, I've heard Tom Cruise is supposed to be perfect with that:

http://www.beautyanalysis.com/images/pg42RF---Tom-Cruise-w-Male-.jpg

Although he could never model because he is a dwarf so it's all relative I suppose. It seems that a lot of guys these days are becoming increasingly more obsessed with looks, which is fine I suppose for above average people like yourself, but incredibly unhealthy for those with insecurities or self esteem issues. Take www.puahate.com for example. Literally one of the most hostile and disturbing forums I have ever seen. The guys on there obviously know their stuff, however I'm guessing 90% of them have some form of mental disorder.
Original post by CD2112
Although he could never model because he is a dwarf so it's all relative I suppose. It seems that a lot of guys these days are becoming increasingly more obsessed with looks, which is fine I suppose for above average people like yourself, but incredibly unhealthy for those with insecurities or self esteem issues. Take www.puahate.com for example. Literally one of the most hostile and disturbing forums I have ever seen. The guys on there obviously know their stuff, however I'm guessing 90% of them have some form of mental disorder.

Out of interest, why is height such an important factor for models? I understand that height is incredibly important for men in person, but I was more under the impression that it had less impact in photographs.

That... that forum, Jesus Christ. It's like they're the tools I occasionally pretend to be on the internet, but for real... scary. What the hell is it even about? Against the pickup artist stuff? God people on the internet are crazy
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3812
Original post by CD2112
Take www.puahate.com for example. Literally one of the most hostile and disturbing forums I have ever seen. The guys on there obviously know their stuff, however I'm guessing 90% of them have some form of mental disorder.

I just went on there. I feel slightly disturbed by what I was reading. I actually wasn't aware how far people go as a collective as such (I mean it's nothing unusual for the odd person) to describing their flaws and need to fix them. What a horrible life it must be constantly trying to fix the slightest of imperfections and tormenting yourself over it.
Reply 3813
Original post by JordanR
Out of interest, why is height such an important factor for models? I understand that height is incredibly important for men in person, but I was more under the impression that it had less impact in photographs.

That... that forum, Jesus Christ. It's like they're the *******s I occasionally pretend to be on the internet, but for real... scary. What the hell is it even about? Against the pickup artist stuff? God people on the internet are crazy

Obviously isn't really an issue for just headshots/profile photos etc, however you have to remember models do campaigns for designers where they have to model clothes on a runway. Then it becomes more important.
That forum represents the absolute extreme of what can happen when you have an unhealthy obsession with looks. I think it was originally about exposing the pua stuff as a scam (which it is admittedly) however it has since turned into something far more disturbing. There is one thread I remember reading which was like 300 pages long from a user called jsanza. He posted a photo and they tore him to shreds and evidently left him with massive mental problems by the end of it. Horrible to see, haven't been back since.
Webcam :P
Last day of college got me taking pictures...2013-05-24 14.45.08.jpg
Original post by danielnkwocha
Last day of
college got me taking pictures...

You look good :yep: and your boyfriend's not too bad either :h:

Jk :tongue:
Reply 3817
Original post by felicity95
Webcam :P

Strong head tilt :tongue:
Original post by This Excellency
You look good :yep: and your boyfriend's not too bad either :h:

Jk :tongue:

:colonhash: :colonhash: :colonhash: :colonhash: :colonhash:

:rofl:
I heard those who study a lot tilts their head involuntarily for photography-posing purposes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest