The Student Room Group

AQA AS Unit 1 French exam 21st May 2013

Scroll to see replies

can anyone remember all the question 9 grammar answers?
Lol funny how this paper is going to be my mock for my french as...... i'm currently doing gcses now and slowly dying but having done 14 exams now I have 5 more to go through........ does anyone having any hints as to what i should be aware of for this paper ?
Did anyone do the cinema question?
what did you put if you did???

everyone seems to have written about the other two, i thought cinema was a simple question but required a lot of ideas...
Original post by BuddingAchiever
Lol funny how this paper is going to be my mock for my french as...... i'm currently doing gcses now and slowly dying but having done 14 exams now I have 5 more to go through........ does anyone having any hints as to what i should be aware of for this paper ?

Revise any vocab you are given. Engulf yourself in French culture. Practise grammar like your life depends on it.

A-level is nothing like GCSE.
Reply 244
Se faire de nouveaux Amis, thanks to the sport topic I knew that
I thought the speed dating reading was horrible.

Loads of people in my class didn't know whether it was ND or V for the question where you had to decide whether they went straight from the office to the speed dating places haha.

I thought it said they hardly leave their works places, but lots of people though a peine was straight away or something haha idk
Original post by milworthy
I thought the speed dating reading was horrible.

Loads of people in my class didn't know whether it was ND or V for the question where you had to decide whether they went straight from the office to the speed dating places haha.

I thought it said they hardly leave their works places, but lots of people though a peine was straight away or something haha idk

a peine in this context would have ment "no sonner" so they go no sonner than leaving their offices so like immediately ??? so V for me anyway
Original post by flyylikejetz
a peine in this context would have ment "no sonner" so they go no sonner than leaving their offices so like immediately ??? so V for me anyway

I get what you mean but I think there is scope for it to be both haha.
Reply 248
Original post by flyylikejetz
What did you put for the rest of those answers?
Reply 249
Hey guys, what did you put for the N, P N/P qn? You know the one on uniform? Especially that one on the top right of the second page of that question, it didnt srem to have anything to do with uniform, it went something like, 'school life has nothing to do with outside world, isolated, protected..? The 'nefaste??' I had no idea what all that was!
Original post by DanSmeaton
You've just read my mind, that's exactly what I was thinking. I've screwed up the coffee break one I think, and also didn't do too well on one of the listening sections either and the grammar was... meh, alright I suppose. I just hope Fletcher hasn't gotten our hopes up too much by singing our praises too much, cos no doubt the actual examiners will be harsher markers than him.

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm not really sure how generous he was marking our essays either, cos he is actually an examiner and all but he must have been lenient for us.
Original post by sh7171
What did you put for the rest of those answers?

I put non donné for he lived abroad, music being popular subjects and (I think this might be wrong) the arriving straight after finishing work.

I put Faux for they no longer se each other, the second one (don't what it is).

I put vrai for the reason why he created speed dating, she only wanted to make friends,

I think there were more but thats all I can remember.
Original post by sh7171
What did people put for the speed dating question? It was false that Annabel wanted to make friends right? I didn't know whether they went straight to the bar after or not :frown: Hmm bad memory I cant remember the rest

pretty sure this was true, because it said something like she wasn't interested in a relationship, just meeting people because most of her friends were in relationships?
Original post by BuddingAchiever

Not for this paper in particular, but for French AS in general I would advise to write essays throughout the year, at least once a week. By the end of the year you should have at least one essay for each each sub topic. It won't be useful just for the essay part, but it generally helps to improve you grammar and vocab as well
Reply 254
This is my third time doing this exam and it still continues to fool me!! I found the essay questions horrible again as there was nothing that really stood out for me. Went for the TV one and did the first part OK, but in the second part I struggled with ideas to make without repeating myself! Unfortunately I missed out on obvious ideas like reality TV and repeated programmes etc for less popular and then for the future I didn't mean anything about how it can still be popular in some instances and the advancement of 3D TVs. Instead I took it as the future is extremely bleak so something has to be done and then explained how we could encourage more people to watch Tv (campaigns, publicity etc). I don't think this is right but it's hard enough to think of answers in English let alone bloody French! I think the rest went alright but I'm not gonna get ahead of myself cos I've said that before! Anyone else doing A2 who's just had their final stab at this exam??
Original post by sh7171
What did people put for the speed dating question? It was false that Annabel wanted to make friends right? I didn't know whether they went straight to the bar after or not :frown: Hmm bad memory I cant remember the rest

It was true that she only wanted to make friends, because it said something like she wasn't going there to look for a relationship
Forgot GrandISSant... Pretty annoyed but if i get plus25 on the essay, provided I haven't made too many silly mistake (Which are inevitable) then should be good for above 90 :smile: Anyone got a faint clue where an "A" will be....??
Original post by Pharaoh96
Not for this paper in particular, but for French AS in general I would advise to write essays throughout the year, at least once a week. By the end of the year you should have at least one essay for each each sub topic. It won't be useful just for the essay part, but it generally helps to improve you grammar and vocab as well

useful words of wisdom... and do you think that studying igcse helps me with the transition to a-levels ?
For the one that was like- le systeme actuel...did you put P N or P/N
Original post by _AGrove_
This is my third time doing this exam and it still continues to fool me!! I found the essay questions horrible again as there was nothing that really stood out for me. Went for the TV one and did the first part OK, but in the second part I struggled with ideas to make without repeating myself! Unfortunately I missed out on obvious ideas like reality TV and repeated programmes etc for less popular and then for the future I didn't mean anything about how it can still be popular in some instances and the advancement of 3D TVs. Instead I took it as the future is extremely bleak so something has to be done and then explained how we could encourage more people to watch Tv (campaigns, publicity etc). I don't think this is right but it's hard enough to think of answers in English let alone bloody French! I think the rest went alright but I'm not gonna get ahead of myself cos I've said that before! Anyone else doing A2 who's just had their final stab at this exam??

yep! and once again I think I've messed it up! Brilliant. I thought the listening was really easy, the reading was average and the essay was average. I got a D last summer, a D in January so god knows what I'll get this time. A level French and me have just been one big nightmare from start to finish, ridiculous how I went from A* at GCSE to barely scraping Cs at AS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending