The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sophtommo
Do you discuss the provenance of each source? Because that gets you the marks :wink:

Of course :tongue: she said my cross referencing etc was excellent, but my own knowledge was limited!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any predictions for the Crimean, Boer and First World War?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
Any predictions for the Crimean, Boer and First World War?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think home-front and Boer might come up
Original post by samuelsupress
I think home-front and Boer might come up

For section A or B? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
For section A or B? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

B, what comes up for A doesn't really matter does it??
Reply 345
Original post by getoom
same.

I've got no idea but i'm hopin its something on Wolsey

There usually is a question on Wolsey and on Cromwell in part B. It might also be divided into early and late periods of the course.
B, what comes up for A doesn't really matter does it??

True :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
Okay I really need some advice for the Section A source question. Do you have to use CONTEXTUAL knowledge that relates to the sources in your answer? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Contextual knowledge yes, but not too much! You will need to examine the provenance of the sources more and develop them- linking it to the weight of evidence it provides etc. :smile:

How do you structure part b?
How do you structure part b?

I start with a point perhaps derived from my own knowledge and support it using quotes from sources that seem to corroborate. I've not done many so I'm a bit worried! How about you?

I really hope a question on the treatment of the British Tommy in the Boer War comes up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
I start with a point perhaps derived from my own knowledge and support it using quotes from sources that seem to corroborate. I've not done many so I'm a bit worried! How about you?

I really hope a question on the treatment of the British Tommy in the Boer War comes up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do the slight opposite.start with the sources then refer to my wider knowledge to add to my point

what is the the treatment of the british tommy??have no clue
Original post by justanotherindigo
Contextual knowledge yes, but not too much! You will need to examine the provenance of the sources more and develop them- linking it to the weight of evidence it provides etc. :smile:

Thank you very much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do the slight opposite.start with the sources then refer to my wider knowledge to add to my point

what is the the treatment of the british tommy??have no clue

Oh that sounds good! And oh maybe it won't come up if it isn't that obvious! You got any predictions for the Boer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
Oh that sounds good! And oh maybe it won't come up if it isn't that obvious! You got any predictions for the Boer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

maybe press censorship or concentration camps.btw those are partially not predictions just areas I am desperate to come up :smile:.

I always also seem to come up short in terms of the length of my essay,I feel I should be writing more.
During the mock we did my teacher actually went 'is that it' when I handed her my answers
Absolutely bricking it.
Reply 355
I hope the paper is nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Henry8th people this is the structure I am using for my main body paragraphs:
Point (agreeing with the question)
Example (sources that both support, possibly a third source if it does, and suggest something that supports the questions statement),
Explain (this is combined with the example which pretty much just explains the point it makes,
Evaluation (questioning the author, the time it was written and maybe undermine sources with other sources),
Explain (this is just the area where I reach my judgement

That is for part a for part b I throw in own knowledge after the example to support it further, also during the example I cross-reference the sources. Do you reckon this will be good enough for a high grade? Also for part a I plan on discriminating between the sources and partly the same for part b, but it depends more on the source writers and whether there is some bias.
Reply 357
my bad, can only edit not remove on phone
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 358
Original post by _JC95
they were the best 2 questions possible, ever!! (Consensus and conflict 45-90 paper)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude/Girl, no edexcel exam discussion. I suggest removing post.
Original post by Lawlser
Dude/Girl, no edexcel exam discussion. I suggest removing post.

You should edit the quoted post too