The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2/M3 June 6th/10th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MLogan
That is quite early for M2 isn't it? What board are you? Mine is on the 6th of june!

I meant the online revision session was on the 24th of May :tongue: And my M2 exam is on the 6th of June too! And my exam board is Edexcel! :smile:
Original post by Cosine
I'm not sitting M3 but I'm sitting M2 this summer. It's been over a year since I did M1 so it's all slowly coming back to me! It does help doing Physics as the work energy stuff I've already done. I think the centre of mass questions will be where I get the marks but I do struggle to visualise the moments questions, I just can't get my head around M2 moments! :\ I think now I just need to practice paper after paper till its concrete in my head. Also what is useful is the Further Maths online live revision sessions, and the M2 one is on the 24th of May so I'll definitely be tuning in for that! :smile: Anyone got any tips overall for M2?

Make the best use of diagrams and label EVERYTHING it really makes it much clearer on what you have to do. Also right down all your thought process, and what you're going to do next as it's easy to get lost in some of the questions figuring what to do! What board? :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Make the best use of diagrams and label EVERYTHING it really makes it much clearer on what you have to do. Also right down all your thought process, and what you're going to do next as it's easy to get lost in some of the questions figuring what to do! What board? :smile:

Thanks for the tips! :smile: I always like to re-draw the diagrams anyways to add everything necessary to my diagram. My exam board is Edexcel :smile:
Reply 43
how do i solve this?

A light rod AB of length 2a is freely hinged at O, where OA = a. Particles, of mass m and 2m respectively, are attached to the rod at A and B. The rod is held in a horizontal position and then released. Find the maximum speed of B in the subsequent motion.

heres what I did and got it wrong:
total initial energy=total final energy (conservation of energy without external forces). Maximum KE occurs when rod OB is vertically below. Zero GPE level occurs at the horizontal level where OB is held.

initial KE and initial GPE=0
Final KE of system= (1/2)m(v)^2 + (1/2)(2m)(v)^2
Final GPE of system= -amg - (3a)(2mg)

hence 0 = (1/2)m(v)^2 + (1/2)(2m)(v)^2 -amg - (3a)(2mg)
hence v= ((14/3)(ag))^(1/2) which is apparently incorrect, HELP
Reply 44
M3 june 2009 paper asks for trapezium rule in one question!! I don't remember C2 :tongue:
Original post by JenniS
M3 june 2009 paper asks for trapezium rule in one question!! I don't remember C2 :tongue:

Look at your formula booklet then :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by MathsNerd1
Look at your formula booklet then :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have :tongue: but I don't get how to get this y0 yn thing from the question! its embarrassing, please help! haha
Original post by JenniS
I have :tongue: but I don't get how to get this y0 yn thing from the question! its embarrassing, please help! haha

My only problem is that I don't do M3, otherwise I would be happy to help you, sorry :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
My only problem is that I don't do M3, otherwise I would be happy to help you, sorry :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

and you call yourself a maths nerd pffffft haha, I'll post it in the other group
Original post by JenniS
and you call yourself a maths nerd pffffft haha, I'll post it in the other group

I know, I'm such an embarrassment! :frown: What is the question actually asking about though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JenniS

y0 is the first value and yn is the last value :smile:
Reply 51
I know, I'm such an embarrassment! :frown: What is the question actually asking about though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you have a differential equation and you have to estimate how long it takes for her speed to increase from 4 to 8 using 2 interval
Reply 52
y0 is the first value and yn is the last value :smile:

but how do you get that from the differential equation? maybe I'm being really stupid
Original post by JenniS
but how do you get that from the differential equation? maybe I'm being really stupid

Original post by JenniS
you have a differential equation and you have to estimate how long it takes for her speed to increase from 4 to 8 using 2 interval

In this case 4 would be y0 your lower limit and 8 would be yn your upper limit.
Reply 54

cant you draw like a rough sketch and work are under curve by integrating and then the rest by working out are cause i think its like a square and triangle?
Original post by MLogan
cant you draw like a rough sketch and work are under curve by integrating and then the rest by working out are cause i think its like a square and triangle?

You could, but the question asked to use the trapezium rule :smile:.
Reply 56

Original post by MLogan

I've got it, I was using my previous differential equation which was for rather than v, silly silly me. Thanks for your help
Reply 57
You could, but the question asked to use the trapezium rule :smile:.

oh it did :s-smilie: oops sorry!
Original post by JenniS
I've got it, I was using my previous differential equation which was for rather than v, silly silly me. Thanks for your help

Anytime :wink:

(Feels good being able to help someone with M3 and I'm still doing M2 :biggrin:)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 59
Anytime :wink:

(Feels good being able to help someone with M3 and I'm still doing M2 :biggrin:)

are you doing M3 this summer aswell?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending