The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5140
Original post by rac1
I think that (really creepy) stuff is due to more than just the Novus Ordo like seminaries not being run properly.

Absolutely. What is going on in some seminaries would make your head spin. There is some really bad priestly formation going on out there.
Reply 5141
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Thanks hun, and no worries! I got the four sets of mysteries free from iTunes, from a podcast called Rosary Army :smile:

Original post by Howard
Absolutely. What is going on in some seminaries would make your head spin. There is some really bad priestly formation going on out there.

I'm sure it's been getting better in the last few years.:smile:

Prayers for Oklahoma!:eek:

A happy story in the midst of everything.:smile:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/video-oklahoma-tornado-survivor-reunited-with-pet-dog-8625414.html
Reply 5142
A man just killed himself at Notre Dame cathedral, weird that I was there in October.:frown:
Original post by rac1
A man just killed himself at Notre Dame cathedral, weird that I was there in October.:frown:

Wow, that's scary. Prayers going up for all who were there or have been affected :sad:
:frown: only hope that they did it there so they would feel closer to God...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5145
Wow, that's scary. Prayers going up for all who were there or have been affected :sad:

Sorry to be depressing, just strange it sounds like he was a seriously die-hard right wing Catholic.
Original post by kath_igidbashian
:frown: only hope that they did it there so they would feel closer to God...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess so
:frown:
Reply 5146
Wow. I pray for the repose of his soul. I can only hope that he was psychologically lost and that at the point of losing his mind he was free from sin. A good traditional Catholic like him would know that suicide is a mortal sin.... and to do it in a Church is shocking. That Church will have to go through reconsecration I believe (may be wrong, may only be when an enemy of the faith kills someone in a Church). May his soul rest in peace and may the light of God shine upon him for all eternity. Poor, poor man. Kyrie Eleison.
Original post by rac1
Sorry to be depressing, just strange it sounds like he was a seriously die-hard right wing Catholic.

No need to apologise hun: am grateful to you for bringing it to my attention, so that I can pray about it.

What is the world coming to :frown:
Reply 5148
Original post by rac1

I'm sure it's been getting better in the last few years.:smile:

Prayers for Oklahoma!:eek:

A happy story in the midst of everything.:smile:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/video-oklahoma-tornado-survivor-reunited-with-pet-dog-8625414.html

Well, actually, no. Take a look at this presentation. In the introduction this priest tells us how he is having to cover some pretty basic theological principles with other priests as it relates to Mass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR7xMhhjOVg&feature=related

Let's be under no delusion. There are catholic priests out there - a lot of them - who do not properly understand what it is they are doing at Mass. Saying Mass is central to what they do as priests and yet they don't understand it because they havn't been instructed at seminary.
Reply 5149
Original post by Howard
Well, actually, no.

Well, actually, yes. Many seminaries are changing drastically. Slowly things are happening. Just the other day I met a young Diocesan ordained in Birmingham. Looking at the Diocesan priests (and Religious) over 50 years old I usually don't trust 'em and to my shame I am always suspicious of them. This Priest was close as it gets to being a traditionalist. He was in love with the old Mass, he knew his Latin, hated modernists, and best of all he said that all his fellow seminarians feel the same way. I've since been to one of his Masses (Novus Ordo in Latin, ad orientem, etc) and it's one of the best ones I have been to (still don't like going but that's being a traddy for you). I've met a few other seminarians and young Priests. Things are changing. To be sure, in certain dioceses there are still modernist seminaries. In certain seminaries they still have modernist priests because usually they've got friends in high places to keep them there, but things are slowly changing thanks be to God. Even the older priests are finding tradition again. It would be almost unthinkable to attend a new Mass 10+ years ago (for me anyway). But now I go when I have to, and although I still struggle it's still okay. The young generation of priests are coming through and (in England anyway) a good chunk are solid and traditional. It will take years, probably a a century, before the Latin Church gets rid of the crap. The modernism was a hurricane. It'll take time to change, but thanks be to God things are changing. God does not abandon His Church. Peter is still steering!

Pax +
Reply 5150
Original post by SPB
Well, actually, yes. Many seminaries are changing drastically. Slowly things are happening. Just the other day I met a young Diocesan ordained in Birmingham. Looking at the Diocesan priests (and Religious) over 50 years old I usually don't trust 'em and to my shame I am always suspicious of them. This Priest was close as it gets to being a traditionalist. He was in love with the old Mass, he knew his Latin, hated modernists, and best of all he said that all his fellow seminarians feel the same way. I've since been to one of his Masses (Novus Ordo in Latin, ad orientem, etc) and it's one of the best ones I have been to (still don't like going but that's being a traddy for you). I've met a few other seminarians and young Priests. Things are changing. To be sure, in certain dioceses there are still modernist seminaries. In certain seminaries they still have modernist priests because usually they've got friends in high places to keep them there, but things are slowly changing thanks be to God. Even the older priests are finding tradition again. It would be almost unthinkable to attend a new Mass 10+ years ago (for me anyway). But now I go when I have to, and although I still struggle it's still okay. The young generation of priests are coming through and (in England anyway) a good chunk are solid and traditional. It will take years, probably a a century, before the Latin Church gets rid of the crap. The modernism was a hurricane. It'll take time to change, but thanks be to God things are changing. God does not abandon His Church. Peter is still steering!

Pax +

That's actually very nice to hear!
Reply 5151
No need to apologise hun: am grateful to you for bringing it to my attention, so that I can pray about it.

What is the world coming to :frown:

eventually the second coming :biggrin: it is sad though, I think I read yesterday that he did it to protest against gay marriage, really not the right way to go about it.:eek::frown:

Original post by Howard
Well, actually, no. Take a look at this presentation. In the introduction this priest tells us how he is having to cover some pretty basic theological principles with other priests as it relates to Mass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR7xMhhjOVg&feature=related

Let's be under no delusion. There are catholic priests out there - a lot of them - who do not properly understand what it is they are doing at Mass. Saying Mass is central to what they do as priests and yet they don't understand it because they havn't been instructed at seminary.

Thanks, that's a good video:smile: We've talked here before about how Catholic schools don't really teach children about Catholicism, which annoyingly is the whole point.

Original post by SPB

Pax +

I don't care if they're a bit modernist or traditionalist, just as long as they're orthodox and they say the mass reverently.

I finished college today so I'm on study leave now:yay: I hope I don't have to go back in September if I have to re-sit I want to see if I can go somewhere else, hope they'll take me:s-smilie:
The giftcard I won came in the post today :yay::yeah: But not much comes up when I type 'catholic' into ticketmaster...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rac1

I finished college today so I'm on study leave now:yay: I hope I don't have to go back in September if I have to re-sit I want to see if I can go somewhere else, hope they'll take me:s-smilie:
The giftcard I won came in the post today :yay::yeah: But not much comes up when I type 'catholic' into ticketmaster...

Praying for you hun. Congratulations on finishing! :hugs:

:console: about ticketmaster :hugs:
Reply 5153
Praying for you hun. Congratulations on finishing! :hugs:

:console: about ticketmaster :hugs:

Thankyou.
It would have been nice:smile:

To cut a long story short i went to confession today :smile: but I don't think father gave me a penance. I also got a phone call from my mum to say someone had reversed into my grandma:eek: but she is okay apart from some nasty bruises apparently:sadnod:
Original post by rac1
Thankyou.
It would have been nice:smile:

To cut a long story short i went to confession today :smile: but I don't think father gave me a penance. I also got a phone call from my mum to say someone had reversed into my grandma:eek: but she is okay apart from some nasty bruises apparently:sadnod:

I'm not always given a penance - I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that you weren't given one.

That's awful about your grandma :eek: Thank goodness she is mostly OK though. Must have been a fright for your family :hugs:
Reply 5155
I'm not always given a penance - I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that you weren't given one.

That's awful about your grandma :eek: Thank goodness she is mostly OK though. Must have been a fright for your family :hugs:

Yeah, I think he told me to go to adoration but that's a bit awkward, never mind:smile:. What is strange is that normally I don't get any advice but the last two times I've been, I have.

I know her face was very swollen but she's okay:bigsmile: Aye.

Must go and revise:biggrin:
Yesterday whilst in France I noticed that it was the feast of St Augustine, who brought Christianity to England. Bit surprised that his feast was celebrated in France.
Original post by barnetlad
Bit surprised that his feast was celebrated in France.

:pierre:

(Sorry, just HAD to use that smiley :colondollar: )

Hope you're having a nice time in France.

rac1: hope revision is going well.

How is everyone? I can't remember if I told you guys how my confirmation service went! It was a beautiful service and I managed not to fall over in front of the bishop when walking up to be someone's sponsor. All in all it was a great evening :jebus:
Reply 5158
How is everyone? I can't remember if I told you guys how my confirmation service went! It was a beautiful service and I managed not to fall over in front of the bishop when walking up to be someone's sponsor. All in all it was a great evening :jebus:

:awesome:

Glad you managed not to fall over.

Oops, this reminds me, I really need to plan my next (and the final ever...) session.
Then our confirmations are 15th and 16th June.

My 15th is going to be incredibly busy. I'm busy with Spirit in the City stuff from Wednesday - Friday evening, then I've got a friend being ordained a deacon in the morning, Allen Hall for the reception, and then running back home for confirmation Mass in the afternoon. Whew...
Original post by Aula
:awesome:

Glad you managed not to fall over.

Oops, this reminds me, I really need to plan my next (and the final ever...) session.
Then our confirmations are 15th and 16th June.

My 15th is going to be incredibly busy. I'm busy with Spirit in the City stuff from Wednesday - Friday evening, then I've got a friend being ordained a deacon in the morning, Allen Hall for the reception, and then running back home for confirmation Mass in the afternoon. Whew...

:teehee:

He was so lovely - he thanked me for everything I'd done for the girl I was sponsoring :love: He was really kind and gentle with her, coz he could tell she was very nervous. I like the way he spent time talking to each candidate - he truly seemed honoured to be there :h:

:eek: that's a very busy day indeed! What a great thing, to have your friend being ordained a deacon! Remind me nearer the time and I'll say a prayer for that intention :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending