The Student Room Group

WJEC BY1 May 21 2013

Hey, just did the by1 paper and was wondering how others found it. To be honest, i didnt find it that difficult. Some parts got me thinking a little but generally it was an okay paper. Feel free to share your answers here! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was personally very happy with the paper. Thought it was great. I did the nucleic acids 10 marker. The only question which i struggled with was the photograph of a nucleus and the random question asking for a definition of cancer. Although i think i managed to blag answers to those
Reply 2
What did you guys put for the lysosome question? I said induced fit hypothesis.
Reply 3
I said induced fit because I've not heard of an enzyme that actually obeys the lock and key. I had no clue really though. I said for the red blood cell membrane that the reduced fluidity of the phospholipids would make it harder for Oxygen and CO2 to diffuse in and out as they diffuse across via the phospholipid part right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by TJLD7
I said induced fit because I've not heard of an enzyme that actually obeys the lock and key. I had no clue really though. I said for the red blood cell membrane that the reduced fluidity of the phospholipids would make it harder for Oxygen and CO2 to diffuse in and out as they diffuse across via the phospholipid part right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i said something along those lines. Not really sure if it's right though
Reply 5
What do you think grade boundaries will be like?
Reply 6
Its usually around 54 for an a. Id say that or higher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
anyone get anaphase, prophase, telophase and metaphase for the order of mitotic stages? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by katie1109
anyone get anaphase, prophase, telophase and metaphase for the order of mitotic stages? :smile:

I did!
Reply 9
Original post by katie1109

I put anaphase, prophase, anaphase and metaphase but everyone i've talked to has put the same as you :tongue:
Reply 10
what did everyone get for the water potential calculation?
Reply 11
Original post by anna1233
what did everyone get for the water potential calculation?

-860kPa
Reply 12
Original post by Mikoto
-860kPa

how many marks was that? I think i've got that one wrong :frown:
Reply 13
What did you think of question 7 on osmosis ?
Reply 14
Original post by Izzie442
What did you think of question 7 on osmosis ?

I thought it was okay apart from the water potential calculation!
Reply 15
Original post by anna1233
how many marks was that? I think i've got that one wrong :frown:

That was 3 marks. Did you show any working at all? You might get a mark for stating the equation for water potential.
Reply 16
Original post by Jellotime
That was 3 marks. Did you show any working at all? You might get a mark for stating the equation for water potential.

yeah I wrote the equation! :smile:
Reply 17
Did anyone go blank on that question about cancer?
Reply 18
Hey,

For the 10 marker on carbs i drew an alpha glucose and beta glucose. I also showed a condensation reaction and explained it. I included tests as well for reducing and non reducing sugars and I talked about cellulose, chitin and starch so would that be okay and how many marks do you think I'll get??

Thanks
Reply 19
Original post by Jellotime
Did anyone go blank on that question about cancer?

yep and the question before it about antibiotics :frown:

Quick Reply