The Student Room Group

AQA HISTORY 2O: The Impact of Chairman Mao (1946-1976) : 22nd May 2013 :)

Scroll to see replies

any predictions for what topics might come up?
Original post by dsfdsfdsf
Probably not - Just not enough content specifically on them.

'Jiang Qing and her allies gained complete control over Chinese politics in the years 1969 to 1976.' Explain why you agree or disagree with this view - 24 marker Jan 12

'By early 1976, Deng Xiaoping's political position was secure.' Explain why you agree or disagree with this view - 24 marker Jan 11 (Not about the GOF per se, but they would still form a large part of your answer)

'The Cultural Revolution had ended the power struggle within the Communist Party leadership by 1966.' Explain why you agree or disagree with this view' - 24 marker June 10 (Once again, GOF will form a large part of your answer)

I doubt they're going to ask a question specifically about the Gang of Four, but any question set after the Cultural Revolution is going to involve them so I wouldn't rule them out. Plus, they've only ever come up in 24 mark questions so they're worth revising.
Reply 22
Original post by alexdob
Cheers, is thee any chance you have the exact questions for it, just so i don't bother revising them in detail? thanks

Jan 13:

"Mao launched the Cultural Revolution due to his desire to remould the Chinese people"

Explain why Mao purged Peng Dehuai from the Communist Party leadership in 1959

"The Great Leap Forward failed because technical experts from the USSR were withdrawn in 1960"

Explain why Mao launched mass campaigns in the years 1949-53

‘By 1953 the reforms introduced by the Communist regime had transformed the lives of the Chinese people.’
Reply 23
Original post by Mabes
Jan 13:

"Mao launched the Cultural Revolution due to his desire to remould the Chinese people"

Explain why Mao purged Peng Dehuai from the Communist Party leadership in 1959

"The Great Leap Forward failed because technical experts from the USSR were withdrawn in 1960"

Explain why Mao launched mass campaigns in the years 1949-53

‘By 1953 the reforms introduced by the Communist regime had transformed the lives of the Chinese people.’

Cheers! Hopefully there is not a question on reforms then ahaha, hate them
Reply 24
Does anyone have an idea as to what might come up??

Reply 25
Civil war, consolidation of Mao (or GLF) and aftermath of Cultural revolution
Reply 26
does anyone have the mark scheme for jan 13?
what are the main factors of how mao consolidated his power?
Reply 28
Original post by alexdob
Civil war, consolidation of Mao (or GLF) and aftermath of Cultural revolution

Thanks, why do you say that though ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studentone
what are the main factors of how mao consolidated his power?

Yeah, I wouldn't listen to the other person who responded to you - they used the wrong time period.

Generally, when ever someone talks about Mao's consolidation of power it's from 49-53.

There are three huge factors that he used:

1) Repression and Terror ( Labour Camps )
2) Mass Campaigns ( Resist America and Aid Korea 1950 )
3) Reforms ( Land Reforms etc )
Reply 30
Well that was pretty tough........
Reply 31
Original post by alexdob
Well that was pretty tough........

That question on comparing the Great Leap Forward to the first five year plan...
Reply 32
Original post by flink
That question on comparing the Great Leap Forward to the first five year plan...

I did the Cultural revolution one.....Was that one hard?
Reply 33
Original post by alexdob
I did the Cultural revolution one.....Was that one hard?

I found it hard to come up with my points. Did manage to finish it though
Reply 34
Original post by flink

that's good then! The first source question was bad.... the impact? confused me
Original post by flink

What points did you use? :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by dsfdsfdsf
What points did you use? :smile:

Both had the aim to achieve higher economic and agricultural output. The Great Leap Forward was about changing the lives of the people living in China. Great Leap Forward developed China and made it able to compete with other superpowers like USA. Finally the Great Leap Forward was used as a way to assert Mao's ideologies on China, like mass mobilisation and self reliance.
Overall - Great Leap Forward was much more radical than the first five year plan and had mostly different aims.
Here's what I put for the questions :smile::

1A). Source 12 marks.

Differences: Source A talks of "recruitment drive" and voluntary recruits, whereas, Source B talks of compulsion via "fear and terror". Also Source A doesn't talk about requisitioning of food, whereas, B does.

Provenance: I said how Chang was biased against Mao and the American observer was unbiased.

Similarities: Both talk of the Civil War and recruitment to the PLA.

1B). Source 24 marks.

Para 1 - Peasants
Para 2 - Guerrilla tactics
Para 3 - Chiang's leadership was poor
Para 4 - Motivation of the PLA

5A). Mao's successor difficulty 12 marks.

Factor 1 - Lin Biao betrayed Mao.
F2 - Hua Guofeng wasn't a good leader (gullible etc.).
F3 - Zhou was too moderate and Qing was too radical.

5B). Cultural Rev. 24 marks.

Weakened the CPC:
Youth lost faith in Mao after being sent to the countryside/schools closed - lack of skills to get jobs, etc.
PLA took 2yrs to stabilise RG violence - Showed the Party could barely keep the youth under control, never mind the nation.

Strengthened the CPC:
Eradicated Old China - Replaced with Maoist propaganda. Influenced people.
Reignited the revolutionary fervour - Youth involved in continuing revolution via class struggle against bourgeoisie. Made them likely to agree with the revolution.

Are my points okay? :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by specter.harvey
Here's what I put for the questions :smile::

1A). Source 12 marks.

Differences: Source A talks of "recruitment drive" and voluntary recruits, whereas, Source B talks of compulsion via "fear and terror". Also Source A doesn't talk about requisitioning of food, whereas, B does.

Provenance: I said how Chang was biased against Mao and the American observer was unbiased.

Similarities: Both talk of the Civil War and recruitment to the PLA.

1B). Source 24 marks.

Para 1 - Peasants
Para 2 - Guerrilla tactics
Para 3 - Chiang's leadership was poor
Para 4 - Motivation of the PLA

5A). Mao's successor difficulty 12 marks.

Factor 1 - Lin Biao betrayed Mao.
F2 - Hua Guofeng wasn't a good leader (gullible etc.).
F3 - Zhou was too moderate and Qing was too radical.

5B). Cultural Rev. 24 marks.

Weakened the CPC:
Youth lost faith in Mao after being sent to the countryside/schools closed - lack of skills to get jobs, etc.
PLA took 2yrs to stabilise RG violence - Showed the Party could barely keep the youth under control, never mind the nation.

Strengthened the CPC:
Eradicated Old China - Replaced with Maoist propaganda. Influenced people.
Reignited the revolutionary fervour - Youth involved in continuing revolution via class struggle against bourgeoisie. Made them likely to agree with the revolution.

Are my points okay? :smile:

How much did you write for the CR question? I believe it was how the CPC was weakened by the events of the CR so i talked about the Shanghai radicals, the new revolutionary committee's (1/3 CPC, 1/3 revolutionary rebels, 1/3 PLA) and how that the politsburo ceased to function and the Cultural Revolution Group performed this role
Original post by alexdob
How much did you write for the CR question? I believe it was how the CPC was weakened by the events of the CR so i talked about the Shanghai radicals, the new revolutionary committee's (1/3 CPC, 1/3 revolutionary rebels, 1/3 PLA) and how that the politsburo ceased to function and the Cultural Revolution Group performed this role

4 pages I believe :smile: Are my points okay?

Also: I wrote Hua Guofeng when I meant Wang Hongwen :colondollar: Will I lose marks? A whole paragraph was on how Hua (when I meant Wang) was gullible and a poor leader for the 12 mark CR Q. Also said Lin Biao wanted to keep the Vice-Premier position when I meat State Chairman. Damn!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending