The Student Room Group

AQA AS Unit 1 French exam 21st May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by linguis
You do realise that if it ends in AL then in the plural it changes to AUX? So the correct answer was Monoparentaux

That is incorrect
Reply 301
Original post by tomj45
Yeah the above grammar question postings are complete and those are the correct answers (I think I got 9/10, stupid "grandir" :banghead: )

I put "grandant", but I had also put pourront....
Original post by sn96
Ahh, are these definitely right? I think I put reconnu :biggrin:
I've heard the others were 'positif --> positive' and I think another one was 'pouvoir'? I put pourraient for the latter but not sure if it's right? *It was a future question*
Also, does anyone know the context that positif was in? (The sentence surrounding it? Still can't remember what I put for it, but guessing if there was an obvious -e ending I'd have put positive...)

yeah I think they're right, I googled all the ones I could remember! I put 'pourraient' as well and I can't remember the context for 'positif' but I'm sure it was obvious that it was 'positive'
Reply 303
Original post by linguis
You do realise that if it ends in AL then in the plural it changes to AUX? So the correct answer was Monoparentaux

It was feminine though.... Les familles francaises monoparentales.
Just checked with my exchange partner :smile:
Reply 304
Original post by jelmes96
I put "grandant", but I had also put pourront....

The pourront thing I was in two minds about, I put pourraient but I reasoned that it could have been both potentially.
Reply 305
I hope it was. I thought they were very sneaky. The first part to one of the listenings. They were like "Blah and blah are getting married. This was an old story" or something like that. Very sneaky AQA :wink:
Just chill with this french kids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzyf0wFI0s0

:smile:
Reply 307
I sat this exam for the third time today too - thought I'd be the only one but there seems to be a few on this thread haha :smile:
I'm really angry at myself for putting grandant and monoparentals for q9, does anyone remember what the answer to the exister one was?
I did the holidays essay too and thought the question was really good but I always find myself repeating vocab when I'm under timed conditions... annoying! Hopefully the last time I'll have to worry about this one though :smile:
Does anyone remember the questions in order, without answers? and how many marks they were?
for the pouvoir one on the grammar section I'm pretty sure you can also have peuvent (because it was plural) because on all of the past papers this has been allowed, for example jan 2012 question 9 , can anyone confirm/unconfirm this??
Reply 310
Original post by randomstudent137
for the pouvoir one on the grammar section I'm pretty sure you can also have peuvent (because it was plural) because on all of the past papers this has been allowed, for example jan 2012 question 9 , can anyone confirm/unconfirm this??

It said, a l'avenir.... that's why I put "pourront"
It said, a l'avenir.... that's why I put "pourront"

yeah I know and that is right but on the past papers like on the jan 12 that said 'le weekend prochain' which is future and it accepted peut??
Reply 312
send me a link.... I'll have a look. Ok, I would say I'm really good at French grammar, but I mean when I saw grandir, I thought of the pattern with venir...being venant. Does anyone have like a grammar rule or anything to know when the ir verb uses ...iss...
Reply 313
Also, didn't help when my exam was repeatedly stopped, because my laptop for the listening kept freezing and so they had to send an IT technician twice to fix it.
Original post by _AGrove_
This is my third time doing this exam and it still continues to fool me!! I found the essay questions horrible again as there was nothing that really stood out for me. Went for the TV one and did the first part OK, but in the second part I struggled with ideas to make without repeating myself! Unfortunately I missed out on obvious ideas like reality TV and repeated programmes etc for less popular and then for the future I didn't mean anything about how it can still be popular in some instances and the advancement of 3D TVs. Instead I took it as the future is extremely bleak so something has to be done and then explained how we could encourage more people to watch Tv (campaigns, publicity etc). I don't think this is right but it's hard enough to think of answers in English let alone bloody French! I think the rest went alright but I'm not gonna get ahead of myself cos I've said that before! Anyone else doing A2 who's just had their final stab at this exam??

today was my third time doing it too and it gets me every time! Got an E the first time, a D the second time, and rooting for my C this time but looking at what everyone's written I've made some stupid mistakes on the grammar test, on the reading and I don't know if I've written enough for the writing! Only 2 and a half pages! Just wanted it to take some of the pressure off my A2 but didn't go to plan!
send me a link.... I'll have a look. Ok, I would say I'm really good at French grammar, but I mean when I saw grandir, I thought of the pattern with venir...being venant. Does anyone have like a grammar rule or anything to know when the ir verb uses ...iss...

i should've known i went over 'finir and choisir' before which all follow the iss rule :/

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-FREN1-QP-JAN12.PDF

question 9 c
pourront/pourraient are both correct in the context given -- many marks schemes in the past have had more than one option as answer to those grammar questions.
Reply 318
Also, didn't help when my exam was repeatedly stopped, because my laptop for the listening kept freezing and so they had to send an IT technician twice to fix it.

You're lucky, I have to use one of these bad boys:
coomber393.jpg

The rule is that you always take the nous form of the verb, take of the ons and add ant

So its nous venons, so venant
but its nous grandissons, so its grandissant

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending