The Student Room Group

AQA AS Unit 1 French exam 21st May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Assassin
pourront/pourraient are both correct in the context given -- many marks schemes in the past have had more than one option as answer to those grammar questions.

is peuvent right?
Reply 321
Original post by ellismayxx
today was my third time doing it too and it gets me every time! Got an E the first time, a D the second time, and rooting for my C this time but looking at what everyone's written I've made some stupid mistakes on the grammar test, on the reading and I don't know if I've written enough for the writing! Only 2 and a half pages! Just wanted it to take some of the pressure off my A2 but didn't go to plan!

I only wrote 2 sides. Quality not quantity.
Reply 322

I must admit, I don't know why they've accepted "peut"

Le week-end prochain, on ............ assister aux championnats de France de paintball qui se dΓ©rouleront Γ  Nolhac en Auvergne. (pouvoir)

Accept: Peut/pourra/pourrait
Original post by sn96
Actually feel like crying looking through this tag :/
Targeted an A, but guess I can't have gotten any more than a D if I'm lucky ... Made so many stupid mistakes.
I think I've only got two of the q9 answers right - *Despite that being the question I revised most for* - also made the 'grandant' mistake / stupidly answered (a) with 'monoparentelles'... So there's 10ish marks gone already.
Was the modeles answer (q9) 'masculins'? I think I got that and 's'agir' right?
How much will the speaking affect the final grade? *Got a B/A ...

i made exactly the same mistakes! So annoying because looking through it's all so obvious and I so know it it's just under exam pressure the AS exam always gets me! got a Bish in my speaking too so hoping it can bring my grade up!
Original post by jelmes96
I must admit, I don't know why they've accepted "peut"

Le week-end prochain, on ............ assister aux championnats de France de paintball qui se dΓ©rouleront Γ  Nolhac en Auvergne. (pouvoir)

Accept: Peut/pourra/pourrait

i put pourra πŸ™
Original post by tomj45
I only wrote 2 sides. Quality not quantity.

I hope so! Probably could have written more but was pushed for time after the tricky reading and grammar!
Reply 326
Original post by milworthy
The rule is that you always take the nous form of the verb, take of the ons and add ant

So its nous venons, so venant
but its nous grandissons, so its grandissant

Some people like me, don't revise every single French verb in its present tense conjugated form... soooo I didn't even know it was grandissons xD
Original post by randomstudent137
is peuvent right?

I'm afraid I don't remember the sentence. Peuvent didn't come to mind in the exam though -- only pourront/pourraient. :\
Some people like me, don't revise every single French verb in its present tense conjugated form... soooo I didn't even know it was grandissons xD

Remember venir is irregular. Grandir is the regular verb, so is formed the same way you'd form finissant.
Original post by danielcain-reed
Did this paper, :smile: was quite happy - 3rd time I've done it hgaha. Just worrieed about my essay, I wrote on question 10 and for disadvantages I talked about tourism - reckon this would be unrelated? I said that tourism was caused by holidays so therefore made an explicit link!!! worrieeeeeeeed

Also so annoyed because I conjugated monoparental as 'monoparentalles' instead of 'monoparentelles' :frown: :frown: :frown: soooo made.

how did you conjugate s'agir?? I thought it was the infinitive form because of 'pouvoir' before it

what do you mean third time you've done it? haha
Reply 330
what did people put for the question in the speed dating section about the creator of speed dating?
Reply 331
oooooo i put monoparentalles instead of monoparentales... i wonder if they will give me the benefit of the dought ;D
Reply 332
Original post by Renault4
oooooo i put monoparentalles instead of monoparentales... i wonder if they will give me the benefit of the dought ;D

Unfortunately they won't!
Reply 333
Original post by danielcain-reed
Did this paper, :smile: was quite happy - 3rd time I've done it hgaha. Just worrieed about my essay, I wrote on question 10 and for disadvantages I talked about tourism - reckon this would be unrelated? I said that tourism was caused by holidays so therefore made an explicit link!!! worrieeeeeeeed

Also so annoyed because I conjugated monoparental as 'monoparentalles' instead of 'monoparentelles' :frown: :frown: :frown: soooo made.

how did you conjugate s'agir?? I thought it was the infinitive form because of 'pouvoir' before it

I mentioned about tourism, grace aux vacances... and then talking about it helping to develop the economical world by creating jobs.
Reply 334
Original post by ellismayxx
i made exactly the same mistakes! So annoying because looking through it's all so obvious and I so know it it's just under exam pressure the AS exam always gets me! got a Bish in my speaking too so hoping it can bring my grade up!

Ahh DX Exam pressure is a huge part of it... Hopefully we still do fine - the listening wasn't too bad so I'm hoping I only got about 5/6 wrong in that (The 'answer in french' ones always seem to catch me out though)
If not, there's always next year when we'll be better prepared :smile:
Reply 335

You didn't need to learn every single verb, I just used the main one 'finir', 'prendre' helped me with the comprendre question
Reply 336
Original post by Smarticus
You didn't need to learn every single verb, I just used the main one 'finir', 'prendre' helped me with the comprendre question

I got the compris, it was the gerund of grandir which I am talking about
Reply 337
May I also say that for the essays, you can make some very imaginative arguments. It doesnt matter what they are, if it is clear what you're saying, and you suggest why it is, then it's sufficient.
Original post by sn96
Ahh DX Exam pressure is a huge part of it... Hopefully we still do fine - the listening wasn't too bad so I'm hoping I only got about 5/6 wrong in that (The 'answer in french' ones always seem to catch me out though)
If not, there's always next year when we'll be better prepared :smile:

Looking back I made such stupid mistakes that I wouldn't normally have made but the whole 'exam' thing makes me mess up! haha! yeah the listening was okay I reckon I did about the same! the speed dating question I hated though! those V/F/ND questions are all so hard even my French teachers disagree sometimes!
haha! I'm an A2 student and done this paper 3 times so I won't get another go! D: hopefully 3rd time I bagged that all important C grade!
For holidays question I spoke about how it helps reduce stress and its educational etc..., but then I also spoke about how it creates jobs, causes pollution etc and was wondering whether this is classed as irrelevant because the question was about holidays not tourism...

Quick Reply

Latest