The Student Room Group

WJEC French AS FN2 Tuesday 21st May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by thewisewoman
I wrote about that length too but I think as long as you aren't rambling and the quality of writing is good then they may carry on reading...it's also hard to tell how many words 250 is anyway :smile:

That's true, but I think I was rambling slightly, the quality was ok but I felt most of my good points were towards the end of my essay!
Original post by mikey2912
I did that essay but I've managed to forget how I concluded haha

I'm worried I wrote about the wrong thing, I basically talked about the importance of getting good grades for college and then the importance of having a part time job for money to pay debt and for the good experience...is that basically all it was asking for?
I'm trying not to worry either about mine being too long and it's also worth taking into consideration that the examiners are being paid per paper and it would take longer to count all the words than to mark a few extra ones
Reply 43
I would argue to call it an 'essay' question and to limit it to 250 words is a bit contradictory. An essay goes into depth, whereas in the exam there aren't enough words to do that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
This is a reply I got from my teacher regarding the listening question which we all were confused by!

"It says she was a teacher in an école, which means any school / collège, so the answer was true. *A primary school teacher is an institutrice, and this word wasn't used.

The exam is on the system and the answers will be when I've done them, but U6 marking takes priority for the moment as they did a mock yesterday which I need to return tomorrow as its their last lesson. *But look out for it - it's coming soon!"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by LoveoOoMusic
They allow up to 280 words maximum :smile:

Oh yeah - I remember now - it is either 280 or 300 word limit - but I am pretty sure they will stop marking after that point, my teachers have really stressed that.

But to be fair, it does say an essay between 200 and 250 words - the limit is there for a reason - a lot of people could've written more but had to stick between the limits.

That's really bad of your teachers not to tell you that you actually have to stick to the limits though, or to pick up from the essays that you've done that you're writing much too much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by matth95
This is a reply I got from my teacher regarding the listening question which we all were confused by!

"It says she was a teacher in an école, which means any school / collège, so the answer was true. *A primary school teacher is an institutrice, and this word wasn't used.

The exam is on the system and the answers will be when I've done them, but U6 marking takes priority for the moment as they did a mock yesterday which I need to return tomorrow as its their last lesson. *But look out for it - it's coming soon!"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yay - so I guessed right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by matth95

Posted from TSR Mobile

But the intro specifically said 'dans un primaire'. Were we just meant to ignore that bit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by Beths_7
Oh yeah - I remember now - it is either 280 or 300 word limit - but I am pretty sure they will stop marking after that point, my teachers have really stressed that.

But to be fair, it does say an essay between 200 and 250 words - the limit is there for a reason - a lot of people could've written more but had to stick between the limits.

That's really bad of your teachers not to tell you that you actually have to stick to the limits though, or to pick up from the essays that you've done that you're writing much too much

Posted from TSR Mobile

We were told that the 200-250 was to stop you rambling, I felt I was still writing decent stuff and it was only when I counted back afterwards I realised how much I'd done :frown:
Reply 49
Original post by Zebrajess
But the intro specifically said 'dans un primaire'. Were we just meant to ignore that bit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I did, it was the listening section after all. I suspect they'll have to either give everyone or no one credit for that question as it can be argued both ways.
I'm sure that there is a significant difference between an "ecole" and "college"... "ecole" refers to an elementary or primary school and "college" is high school and it never mentioned "college" in the listening :/
Reply 51
I'm worried I wrote about the wrong thing, I basically talked about the importance of getting good grades for college and then the importance of having a part time job for money to pay debt and for the good experience...is that basically all it was asking for?

i was talking about you can learn skills in a job you can't learn at school, but a job shouldnt get in the way of school work, yours sounds fine anyway:smile:
Reply 52
I'm sure that there is a significant difference between an "ecole" and "college"... "ecole" refers to an elementary or primary school and "college" is high school and it never mentioned "college" in the listening :/

As far as I know "école" refers to any school, you can have "une école sécondaire" as well as "une école primaire" so if she's a teacher "dans une école" as was said in the text (I think) she could well be a teacher "dans un college"
Reply 53
Can anyone remember the exact wording? Was it specifically 'un école primaire' or something else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by Smougii
We were told that the 200-250 was to stop you rambling, I felt I was still writing decent stuff and it was only when I counted back afterwards I realised how much I'd done :frown:

Oh I could be wrong then! I'm not sure, That's what I was told but my teachers could be wrong :smile:

As long as it wasn't pages and pages, I'm sure they will mark it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by Beths_7
Can anyone remember the exact wording? Was it specifically 'un école primaire' or something else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was pretty sure it specified "ecole primaire." :confused: Oh well, I went for vrai, hopefully matth95's teacher is right.
Reply 56
Original post by Vernish
I was pretty sure it specified "ecole primaire." :confused: Oh well, I went for vrai, hopefully matth95's teacher is right.

Oh well, I guess there's no way well know what the wjec were thinking until the mark scheme is released! At least it was only one mark :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smougii
As far as I know "école" refers to any school, you can have "une école sécondaire" as well as "une école primaire" so if she's a teacher "dans une école" as was said in the text (I think) she could well be a teacher "dans un college"

Perhaps they will give both answers credit as it is very contradictory to say in the intro that she worked in a primary school and then say that an école can mean both...i think it was a bad question :smile: hopefully both answers will be right, I've seen in past mark schemes that they do that sometimes
Reply 58
What did everyone get for the 2nd listening question? I struggled a bit with two of the answers
Reply 59
Perhaps they will give both answers credit as it is very contradictory to say in the intro that she worked in a primary school and then say that an école can mean both...i think it was a bad question :smile: hopefully both answers will be right, I've seen in past mark schemes that they do that sometimes

Yeah fingers crossed, shocking question though! Not the first I've seen on past papers either!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending