The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language - June 4th 2013

Haven't seen a thread for this exam, so though I should start one. The exam is in just a few weeks now! I am aiming for a B minimum, does anyone recommend any useful revision guides/websites or have any tips?

Here is the thread to the January exam:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2198593

Scroll to see replies

I did my GCSE english language a year ago, and the one thing that got me through the language exam was this little trick I learnt off my brother: go through magazines and newspapers and find interesting articles to write about. Look at the images, font and language as these are the things that get asked about in the exam.

To everyone who is doing this exam, I wish you good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by LittleRedMonster
I did my GCSE english language a year ago, and the one thing that got me through the language exam was this little trick I learnt off my brother: go through magazines and newspapers and find interesting articles to write about. Look at the images, font and language as these are the things that get asked about in the exam.

Thanks for the reply.

Could I do this with online news articles because I don't really buy newspapers. :tongue:
Original post by Rupa Patel
Thanks for the reply.

Could I do this with online news articles because I don't really buy newspapers. :tongue:

Yeah sure, as long as you can write about both the story and the way it has been laid out. (Think of the audience!)
Reply 4
This thread is dead. Surely it should be the most popular? Since English Language is compulsory and the majority of students are with AQA, but all I see is English Literature threads.
I'm sitting both of them; the reason in which this thread isn't active is because we've still got exams on literature this week. In addition to this, it is understood that English Literature requires more effort than Language. You should expect your thread to become popular on Friday (& onwards)...
Reply 6
Am doing this - again - in June. The entire year did it in January and is required to resit, purely because your best mark is the one which counts. In January I got 57/80. I've used the AQA's UMS Converter to calculate where that would put me in all the past years, with 74/80 on the CW and 42/45 on the S&L, and always land between 262-268 / 300 UMS. And 270 is always an A*! So obviously looking to just try and scrape a few extra marks and push myself over that boundary, but to be honest I thought the January paper was a really nice one, particularly Section B, and so I'm not sure if I will be able to improve. :-(
For Speaking and Listening controlled assessments, I was given these marks: 26/30, 28/30. 28/30 which totals to 82/90 marks. However, on the AQA raw to UMS converter, the maximum raw mark is out of 45 and not 90, so has my teacher made a mistake or is this normal and I just have to halve my marks (to get it out of 45)? :smile:

I'm also doing that exam but I'm nervous for it since English is my weakest subject. :redface:
Reply 8
Does anybody have any tips for both the reading and writing section on the Foundation paper?

Worrying that I'm going to fail, many thanks in advance!
Mr Bruff is a very good revision resource...If you haven't heard of him then I recommend you watch this playlist- :smile:

Here's one of his playlists: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqGFsWf-P-cBnjI-6RVe2xKF43Rzj7f6O
Reply 10
Many thanks.

Would anybody be kind enough to mark my writing to describe piece If I were to inbox it to anyone?
It's only 200 words or so.
Yay English lit is over and all I have to concentrate on is English Language, aiming for an A* but just worried about the timing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BP_Tranquility
For Speaking and Listening controlled assessments, I was given these marks: 26/30, 28/30. 28/30 which totals to 82/90 marks. However, on the AQA raw to UMS converter, the maximum raw mark is out of 45 and not 90, so has my teacher made a mistake or is this normal and I just have to halve my marks (to get it out of 45)? :smile:

I'm also doing that exam but I'm nervous for it since English is my weakest subject. :redface:

mine were out of 15 each, so if you just half them then that should do?
Original post by NinjaPandaa
mine were out of 15 each, so if you just half them then that should do?

That's what I thought but am confused as to why my school would give us marks out of 30...Do you have any ideas? :smile:
Original post by BP_Tranquility
That's what I thought but am confused as to why my school would give us marks out of 30...Do you have any ideas? :smile:

just halve your scores and work it out that way would be the best option in my opinion
Reply 15
Original post by LittleRedMonster

Thanks. Great idea will definitely do that.:smile:
Reply 16
This thread is dead. Surely it should be the most popular? Since English Language is compulsory and the majority of students are with AQA, but all I see is English Literature threads.

Just finished Literature paper 2 this afternoon so haven't even thought about the Eng Lang paper yet.:smile:
Reply 17

Original post by chatty
Just finished Literature paper 2 this afternoon so haven't even thought about the Eng Lang paper yet.:smile:

i didnt notice you made a thread unitl i made one after :colondollar:

anyway... a fair few people are on this one.. have a look at the mr bruff PDF: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42775942#post42775942

sorry again :bebored::embarrassed:

Ryan
Original post by ryanb97

anyway... a fair few people are on this one.. have a look at the mr bruff PDF: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42775942#post42775942

Ryan

This thread also has many posts: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2355362
Argh- which threads do I follow for the English exam? :tongue:
I know I'll follow all three threads :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by ryanb97

Ryan

Haha, it's alright. Thanks for the attachments. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending