The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History Unit 2 Wednesday 22nd May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GrumpyChickensDS
That would be nice. I wouldn't mind propaganda, or Nightingale on either A or B.

I could cope with propaganda. But I would die if Nightingale came up.
Reply 181
Predictions for Experience of Warfare:

Crimean War: Impact of war reporting - Fenton and Russell (probably not going to be anything to do with the Charge of the Light Brigade, as it's been done in various forms already)

Second Boer War: Concentration Camps and Guerrilla Warfare or Army and Social Reform

Western Front: Harder to gauge because there has been quite an even spread of topics, but I'd say Discipline in the Army (controversy with how strict it was) or BEF in 1918/German defeat (why the British were formidable).

Home Front: DORA or recruitment for the Army
Original post by Mr Faust
Predictions for Experience of Warfare:

Crimean War: Impact of war reporting - Fenton and Russell (probably not going to be anything to do with the Charge of the Light Brigade, as it's been done in various forms already)

Second Boer War: Concentration Camps and Guerrilla Warfare or Army and Social Reform

Western Front: Harder to gauge because there has been quite an even spread of topics, but I'd say Discipline in the Army (controversy with how strict it was) or BEF in 1918/German defeat (why the British were formidable).

Home Front: DORA or recruitment for the Army

NOT DORA! I know literally nothing on that. I wouldn't mind the Boer question on that - despite knowing the least in Boer; the concentration camps are my strongest point.
Original post by LulaBelle
Phew, that's good! It seemed that everyone else was doing more modern sections! :smile:

I am quite nervous, more so for the 40 marker than 20 marker-aaaaah!!!
How's your revision gone? I'm planning on doing as many past papers as I can before tomorrow afternoon! :biggrin:

Haha I know, it does seem that way! In class we've practised the 40 markers so much more than 20 markers that now I'm more worried about the 20! :s-smilie: It's all pretty nerve-wracking to be honest.. I worry that I'll interpret the sources wrong for the 20 mark - is there a real right answer ? Sometimes the mark schemes make it seem like there's a right way to do it, which confuses me!

I'll try and do the same! Although tonight I'm just going to read/write some last notes as I am worn out after two exams today - tomorrow morning I'll be frantically writing answers too haha :smile: I find the timing quite hard to stick to :s-smilie:
Reply 184
Original post by Student96
Haha I know, it does seem that way! In class we've practised the 40 markers so much more than 20 markers that now I'm more worried about the 20! :s-smilie: It's all pretty nerve-wracking to be honest.. I worry that I'll interpret the sources wrong for the 20 mark - is there a real right answer ? Sometimes the mark schemes make it seem like there's a right way to do it, which confuses me!

I'll try and do the same! Although tonight I'm just going to read/write some last notes as I am worn out after two exams today - tomorrow morning I'll be frantically writing answers too haha :smile: I find the timing quite hard to stick to :s-smilie:

Yep, timing is my biggest worry I think! Wonder if I should do the 40 mark first just in case? :confused:
I don't think there is a 'right answer', just as long as you justify your arguments with the sources and knowledge and I think that'd be good enough! :smile:
Yeah I have a clash tomorrow, so I'll have a frantic 10 minute supervised break between exams where I'll cram as much as possible! Whether it'll actually be beneficial or not remains a mystery!! :smile:
Is anyone doing the tudor paper on crown and authority tomorrow? i am so stuck on knowing how and what to revise this close to the exam, especially because its a paper where you have to use sources!
Reply 186
How long should we spend on the 20 mark question????
Reply 187
Original post by ellalouiseanne
Is anyone doing the tudor paper on crown and authority tomorrow? i am so stuck on knowing how and what to revise this close to the exam, especially because its a paper where you have to use sources!

Yay, another person! Yep I'm doing that paper, I think at this point you should just go over exam technique e.g. cross referencing, evaluating the provenance of a source etc. etc.
I'm a little worried too!!!
Reply 188
Original post by LulaBelle
Yep, timing is my biggest worry I think! Wonder if I should do the 40 mark first just in case? :confused:
I don't think there is a 'right answer', just as long as you justify your arguments with the sources and knowledge and I think that'd be good enough! :smile:
Yeah I have a clash tomorrow, so I'll have a frantic 10 minute supervised break between exams where I'll cram as much as possible! Whether it'll actually be beneficial or not remains a mystery!! :smile:

Timing is my problem too, what I'm going to do is start by highlighting sources that agree and disagree for both the 20 and 40 mark, this should take around 3 mins. I will do the 40 mark first, as it's my stronger essay, and subconsciously think about my plan for the 20 mark. I usually spend 45 mins on behalf so I will spend around 30 mins on the a question and hopefully have 2 mins to spare (ill probably spend the 2 mins panicking at the start :tongue:)
Original post by Jay123786
Hi, anyone doing History, B2- Poverty, public health and the growth of gov in Britain, 1830-75? I'm having trouble revising for it, mainly remembering the info and putting it in my essays, I always have to use some notes which is not good especially since the exam is this wednesday! Any advice?

Ah I'm doing this exam too! I did it in january and they asked 2 public health questions for section B whereas I only revised poverty properly :frown:

Memorise the significance and weaknesses of each major act for Public Health
For poverty..go over the old poor law and compare it to the new poor law, what major changes happened, did the new poor law succeed in terms of what it wanted to achieve? Were workhouses entirely bad..or were there positive outcomes of the workhouse?

Here are a few main points:

Spoiler

Goodluck!! :smile:
Original post by Jay123786
Does anyone have tips, revision etc advice for History B? I'm doing 1830-75 Poverty and Public health and really need to know the factors that contribute to change and what also prevented it :s-smilie:

Poverty main points/ideas:

Spoiler

Public Health:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 191
Is anyone doing reform and representation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 192
Don't understand the people saying you need own knowledge in part a, you are meant to include none as all 20 marks are assigned to ao2 which is the sources, and through thorough cross referencing and evaluation you can get top marks with no own knowledge.

Additionally, of course you evaluate the one contemporary source for weight in section b, that is why consistently every paper there is one contemporary source which has a lengthy description and is biased to be critically analysed, and the other 2 sources are always plain so no evaluation. Of course you shouldn't spend ages on it but you should always refer to the provenance of the contemporary source in the second question to more effectively drive your argument and gain top marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Original post by Lawlser
Heath has only been asked ONCE in the entire series, so I think he'll make an appearance,

especially because in January they repeated Wilson who had only been asked once before, so I think they'll do the same for Heath,

Finger crossed, his period is LOVELY.

I really want Heath too, that's all I've been revising on, plus parts of Thatchers Fall and the Falklands war, and Churchills second government, but there's not a lot they can ask you about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just a quick post to say Good luck everyone!
Reply 195
Original post by River227
I really want Heath too, that's all I've been revising on, plus parts of Thatchers Fall and the Falklands war, and Churchills second government, but there's not a lot they can ask you about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ditto! The fall of Thatcher would be a brilliant question! so much to talk about :biggrin:

I think they'll do Thatcher/Attlee, and then Heath.

Do you have any electronic notes for the Falklands war you could send me because mine are very general :/
Original post by hollywils
Thanks! :smile: Really hoping that a suffrage question comes up and I wouldn't mind education either!
Wouldn't like one on the war or trade unions though :frown:

The last two papers have actually been really good.

But the rest just make me cringe, especially the impact that technology had on work opportunities. Just hope Edexcel continue the nice streak :frown:
Reply 197
Original post by simplysparky
The last two papers have actually been really good.

But the rest just make me cringe, especially the impact that technology had on work opportunities. Just hope Edexcel continue the nice streak :frown:

Really hoping so! I just would hate any question on trade unions or technology because there isn't much knowledge either way :frown: a question on eduction would be fab!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hollywils
Really hoping so! I just would hate any question on trade unions or technology because there isn't much knowledge either way :frown: a question on eduction would be fab!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really like Work or Education...

For Education you have points on the Acts, Dorothea Beale/Frances Mary Buss, Girls Public Day School Trust, but what else is there?
Reply 199
Original post by simplysparky
I don't really like Work or Education...

For Education you have points on the Acts, Dorothea Beale/Frances Mary Buss, Girls Public Day School Trust, but what else is there?

I suppose that's it really! I just personally think that would be a lot easier than stating the significance and impact of trade unions when in fact I think they did sweet fa despite what the book says! And technology is just boring haha. Which we could have had Januarys paper tomorrow :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest