The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620

But the downwards arrow you drew isn't perpendicular is it? Cause perpendicular is at 90 degrees to the windscreen. The one you drew is not at 90
Reply 621
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Don't drop Physics!

I got a B and 3 A's for my mocks for mechanics but in that exam I will be happy if i got a C I was shocked for the whole day yesterday :s-smilie:

I'll hopefully get a chance to retake it next year
where is the unofficial markscheme
Terrible paper... OCR need to sort it out and update their study materials... Even my calculations for physics a-level book didn't have that type of moment question... Very pissed off as i studied a hell of a lot. At least increase the time for exam... So i can scratch my head somemore u bastards!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 624
Original post by Piguy
Hopefully the boundaries will be similar to January 2013 (where 82% would score full UMS)

All the boundaries since 2010 are attached - funnily it's never been more than 80% for an A :biggrin:

wow, only 41 to get an A in Jan 2013?? hopefully the grade boundaries are similar for this years June then!
Original post by Dan_JR_12
But the downwards arrow you drew isn't perpendicular is it? Cause perpendicular is at 90 degrees to the windscreen. The one you drew is not at 90

The resultant weight acts vertically downwards and not perpendicular to the plane. The question essentially asked you to resolve the weight into components; both parallel and perpendicular to the slope.

I've tried to explain it using another diagram, like I said, you are right that perpendicular to the slope is cos90 or sin0, but the weight has components both parallel and perpendicular, therefore you won't use 0 or 90 degrees.
Original post by Sam_Coburn
Terrible paper... OCR need to sort it out and update their study materials... Even my calculations for physics a-level book didn't have that type of moment question... Very pissed off as i studied a hell of a lot. At least increase the time for exam... So i can scratch my head somemore u bastards!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude, I know I will get negged for this but it has to be said, the moment question was not difficult, you just had to use logic to deduce that the distance from the centre to the right side weight was (50-x), other than that it was a simple question. Don't rage at OCR because they didn't spoon feed you the data needed for the question
Original post by OllieGCSEs
Dude, I know I will get negged for this but it has to be said, the moment question was not difficult, you just had to use logic to deduce that the distance from the centre to the right side weight was (50-x), other than that it was a simple question. Don't rage at OCR because they didn't spoon feed you the data needed for the question

Some people find that difficult, it's great that you get it! But some don't, people have strengths and weaknesses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hannahm1995
Some people find that difficult, it's great that you get it! But some don't, people have strengths and weaknesses

Posted from TSR Mobile

I respect that, but I thought the way he talked was a bit extreme given the level of complexity to the question. I do see your point though
Reply 629
I personally found deriving the equation harder cz of how shot the time was, with a bit more time in that exam I wouldn't have made as many mistakes

Posted from TSR Mobile
dude the problem is me and others like you, found this question doable because we do maths- so we can spot these things more quickly, for someone who doesn't do AS maths the question would require more time to think and solve at slower pace. The same goes for some other challenging questions, they can be done with some thinking but the amount of time we were given to answer the questions simply did not allow for us to stop and think
Original post by ss2012
I want to do pharmacy too! but chemistry and physics are my only sciences and I'm scared of dropping physics for A2 in case I dont get into uni
do you do maths ?
Original post by madrevision
dude the problem is me and others like you, found this question doable because we do maths- so we can spot these things more quickly, for someone who doesn't do AS maths the question would require more time to think and solve at slower pace. The same goes for some other challenging questions, they can be done with some thinking but the amount of time we were given to answer the questions simply did not allow for us to stop and think

Ah, again, I wasn't trying to sound stuck up or denigrating, I just didn't think the way he spoke about OCR's exam was very fair
Ah, again, I wasn't trying to sound stuck up or denigrating, I just didn't think the way he spoke about OCR's exam was very fair
fair enough:smile: I was just stating why some people may feel more strongly about the questions than others
fair enough:smile: I was just stating why some people may feel more strongly about the questions than others

Yeah man, I understand :smile:

Nah i have a right to be annoyed, there was a lot of filtering through info in previous questions.. It would have been nice for a spoon feed. May have been simple but its the first time Ive seen a moment question like that... Was completely different to past papers... oh and i don't do maths. So yea studied a lot, have a right to be pissed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Top bloke, hit the nail on the head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sam_Coburn
Nah i have a right to be annoyed, there was a lot of filtering through info in previous questions.. It would have been nice for a spoon feed. May have been simple but its the first time Ive seen a moment question like that... Was completely different to past papers... oh and i don't do maths. So yea studied a lot, have a right to be pissed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do understand your point, but if every question was answerable by just doing all previous past papers then a lot of people (too many) would be getting full marks, and the tests would seem too easy - exams have to try and force the people sitting to think 'outside the box'. I'm sorry it tripped you, I'm sure it caught a lot of other people out too.
Reply 638
I did maths then dropped it cz I failed stats and didn't want to retake it. I'm starting to regret that now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 639
do you do maths ?

I did but I failed stats so I dropped the whole a level cz I refused to retake the stats module. I'm starting to regret that now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending