The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bambirina
Haha pulpwood plantation sounds nice and exotic ! :biggrin:

Oh the bac (French equivalent of A-level) is far away now ... the papers I have to write include a comparative study of the economical conditions of the French and Chinese middle classes, a comparative study of the legal systems (focusing on what their positions are towards euthanasia and murder), etc .. so yeah, I wish I could back to high school sometimes, it seems much easier now. But well, uni will be fun too :biggrin:
And anyway, there's absolutely NO WAY I will ever ever EVER have to write a paper on sexual health in China ! Never. Just never. We spent 15 minutes trying to explain a teacher the meaning of the word " sexy " the other day, so a paper on sexual health will definitely never happen haha

I love the random expressions we learn in Chinese, such as " to draw a sword and render help " and " to emerge in an endless stream " (these are used in everyday life).
Those papers sound interesting to read, but horrifying to write. That's rather cheered me up. My work feels much more manageable now. :smile: I think you should try to work a reference to Hepatitis B into one of them, just to see if you can, though! Seems like an interesting challenge.

I love the idea of learning interesting expressions. It feels like what language study is supposed to be about! I don't know very many yet, but I'm generally not advanced enough to be covering idioms yet. I actually borrowed this book last week though, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handbook-English-German-Idioms-Henry-Stern/dp/0155308653/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369148983&sr=8-1&keywords=0155308653 in an attempt to make my work more interesting!

Original post by Ronove
Just got back from my crazy-long Danish reading/writing exam. I'm fairly confident I'll have passed. Werhay! I only managed to sleep about three hours last night so I think I might just go die now...
:yay:

Hang on, you can read, never mind write, Danish on that little sleep?! You really are fluent!:king1:

I need at least 7 to read German, and 8 to write in German!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by A-Dog
Entschuldigung heiße mamma
:dots:Upon careful consideration, I think a miniature cat-girl may be the most appropriate response. Ich habe es ueberlegt.
:red:

EDIT: is she a fox-girl?
Original post by MangoFreak

:lolwut:
:dogt:
Es komme mir vor, dass die Edeltraditionen der Trollenbeiträge, die nicht nur schick, albern und ausgeklügelt sondern auch nicht aus Versehen sind, gestorben sind!

Let's ALL eat mangoes in solidarity!
(edited 10 years ago)
And now for a challenge- translating a cat-related maths joke into German!
The coefficient of friction is known as μ (pronounced mew ). Der Reibungskoeffizient nennt sich μ. The noise cats make seemed to be written down similarly in German, so, here goes!

Warum ist die Katze vom Dach heruntergefallen? Es gab nicht genug μ!

Why did the cat fall off the roof? There wasn't enough mew/μ!

Feel free to have a go with other languages!
(edited 10 years ago)
:eek: :lol:
Original post by Octopus_Garden
The coefficient of friction is known as μ (pronounced mew ). Der Reibungskoeffizient nennt sich μ. The noise cats make seemed to be written down similarly in German, so, here goes!

Gibt es ueberhaupt eine Moeglichkeit that I can sign up for AS + A2 German next year? Wissen Sie, ob es selbst Leute gibt who have done this before at the college?? :redface:
Fast-track it, you mean? I think that would be subject to discussion between you and the professional opinion of a tutor.

But as a non-professional, I think it would be a bad idea for you. GCSE and AS, maybe?
Fast-track it, you mean? I think that would be subject to discussion between you and the professional opinion of a tutor.

But as a non-professional, I think it would be a bad idea for you. GCSE and AS, maybe?

I wouldn't dare suggest that to the tutor...
They would think I'm having a laugh!! lol

Hmmm perhaps if I were to REALLY show them how brilliant I am on this pre-course thing coming up in 2 weeks...I'll probably get odd looks from the rest of the class...but I'm willing to do anything to convince my tutor :colone:
Go on the AS pre-course as well as the GCSE?

The cat fell off the roof because it didn't meow enough? :lol:
Hmmm that's also an option...aber I probably won't get my chance 2 shine in a non beginners class :rolleyes: Maybe I should just be patient and do 3 yearsssssss of college -_- Ich weiss nicht sicher, ob och das aushalten kann! Hmmm aber ja, ich soll es mir ueberlegen muessen!! :tongue:
Just go and sign up to the AS class so you (and the tutor) can make an informed decision about your capabilities and what you should cover over the summer.

It doesn't matter whether you're average, the class "dunce" or better than everyone else! What matters is whether you're up to the WORK itself, or can be with preparation!

Silly! Plus, you know that demonstrating commitment is good, right?
Just go and sign up to the AS class so you (and the tutor) can make an informed decision about your capabilities and what you should cover over the summer.

It doesn't matter whether you're average, the class "dunce" or better than everyone else! What matters is whether you're up to the WORK itself, or can be with preparation!

PRSOM! +_+
The class dunce!! XD. Das ist tatsaechlich wahr!
But on the other hand...you needed 3 years to get up to where you are now...and you study A LOT!:eek: Ich werde nicht genug Zeit haben, as I'm taking it alongside 3 other subjects! So with that in mind, I'll just do GCSE - AS - A2 :tongue: :tongue:

And the medal for the most persuasive PM writer on TSR goes toooooo...........
You've managed to sell the AS introduction course to me...I've signed up und ich bin fertig!!! :biggrin: Ich kann nicht warten, zu beginnen (a)

Nice one Octopus...gut getan? =D
Reply 1333
Original post by thatitootoo
You've managed to sell the AS introduction course to me...I've signed up und ich bin fertig!!! :biggrin: Ich kann nicht warten, zu beginnen (a)

Gemacht!!

Yay! ,,Gut gemacht"* ist vielleicht besser.

Ich stelle mich eine Öffentlichkeitsarbeitstelle in der Zukunft vor!

*cross-post
Original post by Ronove
Gemacht!!

Damnit! Gut gesehen! (well spotted?)
If that's wrong I'll just never show my face here again :tongue:

So if that's the case my last wish will be...

Ich wünsche, dass die Octopus_Garten jetzt 'Exalted and Worshipped' wird!

Ya watch this space ^^ :ahee:
Reply 1336

There has been (and will continue to be) a smattering of painful errors throughout the thread (not just from you) and I don't really think it's necessary to correct them, or we'd never dare to chatter amongst ourselves in anything but English - that one just stood out for some reason though, sorry! :colondollar: :tongue:

Dies ist das schlimmste Testament aller Zeiten!

Geh! Arbeite!
Original post by Ronove
There has been (and will continue to be) a smattering of painful errors throughout the thread (not just from you) and I don't really think it's necessary to correct them, or we'd never dare to chatter amongst ourselves in anything but English - that one just stood out for some reason though, sorry! :colondollar: :tongue:

Huh Are you talking about the 'gut getan' or did I yet make another cook-up?? :tongue:
Dies ist das schlimmste Testament aller Zeiten!

Geh! Arbeite!

Jaja! Ich soll, ich werde, ich gehe!!!

Tnx 4 ignoring that I referred to u as Octopus_GarTen earlier...I blame German :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending