The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History Unit 2 Wednesday 22nd May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by simplysparky
I don't really like Work or Education...

For Education you have points on the Acts, Dorothea Beale/Frances Mary Buss, Girls Public Day School Trust, but what else is there?

Universities, medicine NLCS, CLC and some minor schools like church schools and dame schools etc
Original post by hollywils
I suppose that's it really! I just personally think that would be a lot easier than stating the significance and impact of trade unions when in fact I think they did sweet fa despite what the book says! And technology is just boring haha. Which we could have had Januarys paper tomorrow :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I totally agree about trade unions. Any reference to them is just to do with the suffrage movement and even that's limited. Tbh, I'd rather do a question where you go into detail about the different Acts.

January 2013 was amazing, the later questions are supposed to be harder, but they seem to be getting easier?:s-smilie:
Original post by Robbie242
Universities, medicine NLCS, CLC and some minor schools like church schools and dame schools etc

Gotta love Higher Education.. Then I guess you can talk about how even those schools didn't really have an impact as there was limited access for working-class girls.
Thanks for the help:smile:
Reply 203
Haha, I totally agree about trade unions. Any reference to them is just to do with the suffrage movement and even that's limited. Tbh, I'd rather do a question where you go into detail about the different Acts.

January 2013 was amazing, the later questions are supposed to be harder, but they seem to be getting easier?:s-smilie:

They do seem to be getting a lot easier!! I downloaded the ums converter and the grade boundaries have also dropped recently despite the papers being easier?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any predictions for the Crimean, Boer and First World War? So worried about section B!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 205
Gotta love Higher Education.. Then I guess you can talk about how even those schools didn't really have an impact as there was limited access for working-class girls.
Thanks for the help:smile:

Yeah I always refer back when education is limited to the fact that oxford and cambridge the kinda role-model universities had not opened their degrees to women until 1920 and 1947 respectively, and showed reluctance to change - perhaps influenced over unis
Reply 206
What are people's approaches to the use of figures in the bart (b) question? In all my past essays, I've tended to round most numbers to the nearest hundred at least (e.g. I'll say, "Overall, the BEF took 189,000 German prisoners (instead of 188,700) and 2,800 guns (instead of 2,840) in 1918.
Does anyone know roughly how precise examiners want you to be?

I know this is pretty knit-picky, but the night before the exam I figure I should try and sort out any qualms I have now.
Reply 207
Original post by GreenBass
What are people's approaches to the use of figures in the bart (b) question? In all my past essays, I've tended to round most numbers to the nearest hundred at least (e.g. I'll say, "Overall, the BEF took 189,000 German prisoners (instead of 188,700) and 2,800 guns (instead of 2,840) in 1918.
Does anyone know roughly how precise examiners want you to be?

I know this is pretty knit-picky, but the night before the exam I figure I should try and sort out any qualms I have now.

Don't think I'm doing the same section as you but both of my teachers have said at AS examiners don't look for precision so rounding it up like you demonstrated above should be just as good! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
People keep mentioning perfect exam technique... gimme this technique?!
Reply 209
Original post by Lucy96
Any predictions for the Crimean, Boer and First World War? So worried about section B!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Predictions for Experience of Warfare:

Crimean War: Impact of war reporting - Fenton and Russell (probably not going to be anything to do with the Charge of the Light Brigade, as it's been done in various forms already)

Second Boer War: Concentration Camps and Guerrilla Warfare or Army and Social Reform

Western Front: Harder to gauge because there has been quite an even spread of topics, but I'd say Discipline in the Army (controversy with how strict it was) or BEF in 1918/German defeat (why the British were formidable).

Home Front: DORA or recruitment for the Army
Original post by Mr Faust
Predictions for Experience of Warfare:

Crimean War: Impact of war reporting - Fenton and Russell (probably not going to be anything to do with the Charge of the Light Brigade, as it's been done in various forms already)

Second Boer War: Concentration Camps and Guerrilla Warfare or Army and Social Reform

Western Front: Harder to gauge because there has been quite an even spread of topics, but I'd say Discipline in the Army (controversy with how strict it was) or BEF in 1918/German defeat (why the British were formidable).

Home Front: DORA or recruitment for the Army

Thank you so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 211
Original post by Chlo55
Is anyone else sitting the Edexcel AS unit two Britain and Ireland, 1867-1922 exam? On the 22nd May?
if so do you have any predictions on whats going to come up, or things I should focus my revision on the most?

Ahh so nervous for tomorrow! And no, my class and I we went through all the old exam questions but couldn’t identify what questions we might be asked. Loads of luck for tomorrow though :smile:
Can someone please give me the 2013 january exam for option c conflict and change ?? Or tell me the questions on womens rights on that paper ?
Reply 213
Any predictions for the changing position of women (option c)????
Reply 214
Original post by Lawlser
Ditto! The fall of Thatcher would be a brilliant question! so much to talk about :biggrin:

I think they'll do Thatcher/Attlee, and then Heath.

Do you have any electronic notes for the Falklands war you could send me because mine are very general :/

No sorry dude, I've only been using the edexcel book, which is pretty good I guess, and some teachers noted but they are hard to read haha, teacher has very scruffy writing :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 215
Original post by ellanokesy
anyone participating in the struggle that is the D unit on Ireland?
it is dreadful.
i had a complete mare last week and got dreadful food poisoning, not allowing me to do 3 of my exams, including unit 1, but i'm applying for 'special consideration' based on unit 2 and something else, so i really need to do well!
i've got some notes if anyone wants them :smile:

Goodluck for opption D tomorrow then :smile: hope it’ll all work out :smile:
Anyone doing Cold War paper?
Reply 217
thatcher thatcher milk snatcher
Reply 218
Original post by theworld
thatcher thatcher milk snatcher

hopefully!
Good luck everyone who's doing consensus and conflict 1945-1990
Sneaky feeling it will be Heath Attlee and Thatcher, maybe Macmillan!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending