The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds Catered- how good's the food?

I'm looking for catered accommodation on campus for next year.

I'd like to know how well using the Refectory and having the meal card works - do you get enough quantity and quality for your money? I don't like the idea of having to pay extra if I'm extra hungry and go over the budget...

And how does it compare to the food at Devonshire Hall?

Thanks!

I've got an unconditional for Zoology 2013 :smile:
Original post by Oodles
I'm looking for catered accommodation on campus for next year.

I'd like to know how well using the Refectory and having the meal card works - do you get enough quantity and quality for your money? I don't like the idea of having to pay extra if I'm extra hungry and go over the budget...

And how does it compare to the food at Devonshire Hall?

Thanks!

I've got an unconditional for Zoology 2013 :smile:

Congrats on the offer!

Well, I can't compare it to devonshire (I'm on campus and catered) but the food in the Refectory (or Refec, if you're hip) is pretty decent.

Breakfast - Cereal, fry up, fruit salads, yoghurts, croissants, fruit juice, porridge etc. etc.

Lunch - Sandwiches, subway type baguettes made for you, pizza, lots of evening things

Dinner - Pizza, Hot meat bap, chips, pasta dish, two random main dishes, Street Food section (lots of different cultures food), Jacket Potato and fillings, Salad Bar, Dessert and a guy that makes noodles for you.

Now there's a bit of overlap because you can only use your meal cards 8-11 then 2-7 so you could buy a sandwich for breakfast if you wanted, or you could get something dinnery for lunch at 2. At the weekends you get less money and can only use it between 10-2.

This brings me onto your point about how quantity. I have a few friends who stretch their meal cards to three meals a day, getting porridge in the morning, a sandwich for lunch and a basic meal for dinner. However, the meal card is only meant to last for 2 meals. I have breakfast at the Refectory, buy lunch elsewhere, and have dinner and the Refec. Alternatively, you could have breakfast at your hall, and the other two at the Refec. This way I never go hungry or have to be reserved in what I buy.

The food is decent quality and I like having the refectory. However, you may get bored of it by the end of the year. Still, it's good food, and you don't have to cook. It's a win.

Also, if you think the £9.70 a day is a lot, the prices in the refectory are inflated, so it's not really £9.70 in real terms.

See http://www.leeds.ac.uk/catering/mealplan.htm for more information.

Out of interest, what halls were you thinking?

Hope this helps!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Thanks this is all super helpful!

I was fairly sure I wanted catered but signing away what I'm going to eat for a year without this information was a bit unnerving haha.
it sounds good and reasonable, and I like the flexibility :smile:

i'm thinking Lyddon, where are you?
Original post by Oodles
Thanks this is all super helpful!

I was fairly sure I wanted catered but signing away what I'm going to eat for a year without this information was a bit unnerving haha.
it sounds good and reasonable, and I like the flexibility :smile:

i'm thinking Lyddon, where are you?

I'm at Charles Morris. Haha yeah I know what you mean, but there's plenty of choice, and the convenience is amazing!
Reply 4
Thank you for this thread - very useful! I've applied for catered accommodation in Lyddon Hall so it's nice to have a bit more of an idea of exactly what I'm letting myself in for haha :L

I have an Unconditional Offer for Zoology too! :smile:
The Catered food is quite good, I visited leeds last year. But weirdly enough some of the food was cooked but was cold :/, but none the less delicious!

Also the prices are a bit steep. I bought a slice of pizza, chips and a drink for just under £5
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Galileo Galilei
The Catered food is quite good, I visited leeds last year. But weirdly enough some of the food was cooked but was cold :/, but none the less delicious!

Also the prices are a bit steep. I bought a slice of pizza, chips and a drink for just under £5

Hmm that's odd, that's never happened to me! The prices are expensive but with the meal card you're not paying in cash, so it's not too bad. The prices are inflated, but so is the amount you're given to spend each day, if that makes sense.

It only stings you if you pay in cash.
Reply 7
Hey, I am thinking of choosing Charles Morris as my first choice but then I am scared that I wont like the food! I am a vegetarian and eat pretty healthy...are there like salad options at lunch and jacket potatoes etc?
Reply 8
Hey guys,

Im from Australia and am hopefully coming to Leeds University in September. I was thinking about applying for Charles Morris but I noticed that not many people on other threads are talking much about it. I understand the whole food thing and how that works but I was just wondering about the living environment and the social scene? What are some high and low points of Charles Morris. Also, if I understood this correctly, I noticed that Charles Morris has 2 seperate buildings (Storm Jameson and Dobree and Whetton, sorry about spelling). Does this mean when I apply for accomodation I can be put in either? or will I be able to select Storm Jameson when I apply?

Thanks so much.
Reply 9
Hey, I'm thinking of applying for Charles Morris and although I know quite a bit about how the food card works now, I was jus wondering about one more thing. On a visit day to the uni, in the refectory I noticed they had an area with bottled drinks, snacks and even tinned spaghetti hoops (?!), can you buy all of these on the meal card? I'm interested to know because it will be good if I can spend any unused money for the day on stocking up for back at my room :smile:
Reply 10
Can anybody tell me what the food at Devonshire is like? There isn't much information on it...
Reply 11
Does anyone know if Dopree and Whetton is as nice as Storm? I only ask because Storm looked perfect in every way ha :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by GeoffReid
Does anyone know if Dopree and Whetton is as nice as Storm? I only ask because Storm looked perfect in every way ha :smile:

When I visited I can't remember them looking as nice, I only went into one and I'm not sure whether it was Dobree or Whetton, but it wasn't up to Storm Jameson's standards :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by DomMcGregor
we should start a facebook group for freshers

I think there is already one :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by jloliver33
When I visited I can't remember them looking as nice, I only went into one and I'm not sure whether it was Dobree or Whetton, but it wasn't up to Storm Jameson's standards :frown:

I think it says on the accommodation website that Dobree and Whetton has been recently refurbished...I wish I'd visited it now whilst I was at Storm. What were the differences?

On the upside, I posted a poll on the Leeds freshers 13 fb group and Central village, James Baille and Henry Price seem to be the most popular so far :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by GeoffReid
I think it says on the accommodation website that Dobree and Whetton has been recently refurbished...I wish I'd visited it now whilst I was at Storm. What were the differences?

On the upside, I posted a poll on the Leeds freshers 13 fb group and Central village, James Baille and Henry Price seem to be the most popular so far :smile:

I'm not sure which I was that I went in, but it did seem okay, just not as nice as Storm J, and most of the rooms had that thing where a bathroom is shared between two rooms (like Henry Price) if I remember rightly, and that was what put me off. I wish that on the application you could write not just Charles Morris, but also your preferred choice within that because I'd say they are fairlyyy different!
Ooo, thats good though, because I think I'm really hoping to get into Storm J now, or at least Charles Morris! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by jloliver33
I'm not sure which I was that I went in, but it did seem okay, just not as nice as Storm J, and most of the rooms had that thing where a bathroom is shared between two rooms (like Henry Price) if I remember rightly, and that was what put me off. I wish that on the application you could write not just Charles Morris, but also your preferred choice within that because I'd say they are fairlyyy different!
Ooo, thats good though, because I think I'm really hoping to get into Storm J now, or at least Charles Morris! :smile:

Yeah, I've read about that shared bathroom thing somewhere, that won't work for me either heh. I've seen shared student bathrooms before, they're disgustingg. I know, I would honestly be so happy if I got Storm! Is it August we find out where we've been allocated?

Looks like Charles Morris is getting more popular; it's catching up with CV and the others on my poll. It's a shame it isn't first come, first serve..

Quick Reply

Latest