The Student Room Group

Leicester Economics - Strange Observation

I'm thinking of applying for Leicester through adjustment so i decided to do a lil research and found something strange :s-smilie:

They offer BA economics aswell as BA Banking & Finance

These 2 courses are identical, all the modules are the same except for like 3 in the whole 3 years

For BA economics..
19% of students for 1st class
38% got 2:1

However for BA Banking & Finance (pretty much exact the same course)
Only 10% got 1st class
20% got 2:1

Why do you think the results are so different when they're the same courses? Especially the fact that 35% of Banking & Finance students passed without honours

Are they taught differently or something?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Different candidates. You'd expect economics candidates to do better than a banking & finance. Simply because Economics, well respected degree and very competitive course. Whereas Banking & Finance, sounds a new degree, not many people know about and hardly taught in any top uni.
Reply 2
As above. If the courses are the same, then it has nothing to do with that, it is clearly down to the candidates.
Original post by CoolStoryBroo
I'm thinking of applying for Leicester through adjustment so i decided to do a lil research and found something strange :s-smilie:

They offer BA economics aswell as BA Banking & Finance

These 2 courses are identical, all the modules are the same except for like 3 in the whole 3 years

For BA economics..
19% of students for 1st class
38% got 2:1

However for BA Banking & Finance (pretty much exact the same course)
Only 10% got 1st class
20% got 2:1

Why do you think the results are so different when they're the same courses? Especially the fact that 35% of Banking & Finance students passed without honours

Are they taught differently or something?

Didn't you got offers from Coventry & Aston already ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Prospective UK

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just Coventry but don't wanna go there
Reply 5
Original post by Prospective UK

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say Leicester is better than either of those to be honest.
Reply 6
Could you please tell me where I can find the same statistics for Business Management at King's College London?
Original post by w0007
Could you please tell me where I can find the same statistics for Business Management at King's College London?

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/study/10003645-UBSH3SSBM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending