Original post by ADAOBI123
oooooo revision:colone:

Wanna join in? :biggrin:
Original post by MathsNerd1
Wanna join in? :biggrin:

yes please :biggrin:
Reply 82
Original post by ladybug.hugsxoxo
Guys I really want an a in this was 3 marks off a b and made them up in my coursework.. Havent started revising yet. Any tips on how to prepare during the next 24hours? Xxx I really need an A! (A)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, the best way is to firstly have a go at some past papers and identify the areas that you are consistently dropping marks in.
Then simply target and focus your revision to making sure that you have these areas thoroughly covered! :smile:
yes please :biggrin:

Okay then, explain trend in reactivity as you travel down group 2, make sure you go into detail as that would normally be worth 3-4 marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know its soluble in non polar solvents such as hexane, but I'm not too sure about the second part :-/

Second part is right, double checked in book :smile:
Okay then, explain trend in reactivity as you travel down group 2, make sure you go into detail as that would normally be worth 3-4 marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As you go down group 2 the reactivity decreases. This i because there are more shells, so electron shielding will have no effect. This will also mean that nuclear attraction will also decrease down the group. Moreover, it is much easier to remove an electron from the outer shell.

I think I covered it :confused:
Original post by yodawg321
Second part is right, double checked in book :smile:

Okay, I've just never included that in my answers so I just got confused a bit, that's all :smile:
As you go down group 2 the reactivity decreases. This i because there are more shells, so electron shielding will have no effect. This will also mean that nuclear attraction will also decrease down the group. Moreover, it is much easier to remove an electron from the outer shell.

You might of got mixed up with Group 7 :s-smilie:

I got :

Gets more reactive as you go down.
Increased AtomicRadius
IncreasedShielding
Decreasing NuclearAttraction
Although there's increasing nuclear charge the increasing shielding and radius outweighs this.
Easier to remove electron from outer shell. TyTy
Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, you might have got confused a little. I'll give you a hint and see if you can change and improve your answer. Group 2 are metals which want to lose electrons.

Have another try :smile:
Original post by yodawg321
You might of got mixed up with Group 7 :s-smilie:

I got :
Gets more reactive as you go down.
Increased AtomicRadius
IncreasedShielding
Decreasing NuclearAttraction
Although there's increasing nuclear charge the increasing shielding and radius outweighs this.
Easier to remove electron from outer shell. TyTy
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that all seems correct but there isn't any increase in nuclear charge as they are all in the same group, so all have the same charge :smile:
Reply 90
What is the exact definition of a Dative Bond?
Reply 91

Not quite. Reactivity actually increases down group 2. You're right that there are more shells but this means that there is more electron shielding down the group as there are more inner-shell electorns to repel the outer-shell electrons. Also, the increase in shells means that the atomic radius increases. Both reduce the electrostatic attraction between the nucleus and the outer-shell electrons making it easier for the group 2 elements to lose their outer two electrons down the group (this is what they aim to do to achieve a full otuer shell fo electorns/elec. config. of a noble gas).
Nuclear charge does increase down the group but it's outweighed by the increase in atomic radius and electron shielding. Hope that clarifies it -sorry it was a bit of a rant:smile:
Okay, you might have got confused a little. I'll give you a hint and see if you can change and improve your answer. Group 2 are metals which want to lose electrons.

Have another try :smile:

Okay,

As you go down group 2 the reactivity increases. This is because the atomic radii increases, so they will be more shielding. This will also mean that the nuclear attraction decreases too. This will mean that it will be easier to lose an outer electron.
Original post by niniesta96
Not quite. Reactivity actually increases down group 2. You're right that there are more shells but this means that there is more electron shielding down the group as there are more inner-shell electorns to repel the outer-shell electrons. Also, the increase in shells means that the atomic radius increases. Both reduce the electrostatic attraction between the nucleus and the outer-shell electrons making it easier for the group 2 elements to lose their outer two electrons down the group (this is what they aim to do to achieve a full otuer shell fo electorns/elec. config. of a noble gas).
Nuclear charge does increase down the group but it's outweighed by the increase in atomic radius and electron shielding. Hope that clarifies it -sorry it was a bit of a rant:smile:

Its okay, thanks though :biggrin:
Original post by Junaid150
What is the exact definition of a Dative Bond?

A shared pair of electrons which has been donated by one of the bonding atoms
Reply 95
Actually nuclear charge does increase because there are more protons in the nuclei of the elements' atoms down group 2.
(edited 10 years ago)
Okay,

As you go down group 2 the reactivity increases. This is because the atomic radii increases, so they will be more shielding. This will also mean that the nuclear attraction decreases too. This will mean that it will be easier to lose an outer electron.

Yeah that sounds a lot better :smile: Ask me a question now?
Reply 97
Yeah, that all seems correct but there isn't any increase in nuclear charge as they are all in the same group, so all have the same charge :smile:

Actually the nuclear charge does increase down the group as the elements' atoms have more protons in their nuclei.
Yeah that sounds a lot better :smile: Ask me a question now?

Hmmmmmmm

Describe how van der waals forces arise ? :wink:
Original post by niniesta96
Actually the nuclear charge does increase down the group as the elements' atoms have more protons in their nuclei.

Of course! Sorry I was having a bit of a moment, so the nuclear charge that does increase won't effect the overall result too much?

Latest

Trending

Trending