The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1820
Original post by ubi1
Eurosport cost like £5 a month?

I've got the channel on tv, it is one of the 'free' sports channels.
Reply 1821
Andy Murray has pulled out of the French Open, guess his focus is now on the grass season
Murray withdraws from the FO! Expected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Murray OUT of Roland Garros
Reply 1824
Probably for the best. He would have likely got to the semis at most. He better win WImbledon to make up for this. :P
This is the first time since Wimbledon 2007 that Murray has missed a Grand Slam event. It was expected, but it is for the best as it was clear based on his previous clay performances that he really did not have a great shot at the RG title. As for Del Potro, a decision will be reached tonight or tomorrow morning as to whether he will play.
If JMDP does NOT play, then the top seedings for RG will go something like this:

1. Djokovic, Novak
2. Federer, Roger
3. Nadal, Rafael
4. Ferrer, David
5. Berdych, Tomas
6. Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried
7. Gasquet, Richard
8. Tipsarevic, Janko

BTW - I think actually Wawrinka has confirmed that he's not playing RG either
This could make the draw very interesting. We could have Federer-Nadal and Djoko-Ferrer semis, or Federer-Ferrer and Djoko-Nadal semis. If the latter is drawn, Federer could have a good shot at reaching the final, and in doing so would take back the No. 2 ranking once again from Murray - but it's not the likeliest scenario.
I'm fancying Berdych more now with the seedings! I think he might even be the biggest threat to Novak, just because Nadal has the inferiority against him. So in that sense I think Berdych could be a key piece in Nadal winning (I do expect him to anyway, it's just I think Berdych might be a part of the jigsaw!)
Original post by Krish4791
This could make the draw very interesting. We could have Federer-Nadal and Djoko-Ferrer semis, or Federer-Ferrer and Djoko-Nadal semis. If the latter is drawn, Federer could have a good shot at reaching the final, and in doing so would take back the No. 2 ranking once again from Murray - but it's not the likeliest scenario.

Well, we all know the draw is a bit rigged so it really depends which final they want, Fedal or Nadal vs Djokovic.

Ideally i think Fed would a QF against the 7/8 seed with Nadal and Djokovic on the more brutal side of the draw.
This French Open. I mean really, Murray gone, Del Potro gone, Wawrinka gone - that's a third of the top ten players. :/
Djokovic//Ferrer on one side of the draw and Nadal/Federer on the other side.

Djokovic seeded to meet Berdych in the QF would spice things up very well too.
Original post by Rakas21
Well, we all know the draw is a bit rigged so it really depends which final they want, Fedal or Nadal vs Djokovic.

Ideally i think Fed would a QF against the 7/8 seed with Nadal and Djokovic on the more brutal side of the draw.

That would be good, but it's quite evident that a Djoko-Nadal final would be more competitive and entertaining than Fedal, and that would be what the French organisers want.

However, what might be entertaining is putting Novak and Rafa in the same half, let them fight it out and see who needs it more, and if Nole prevails, then we could perhaps be treated to a Djokovic-Federer final, which hasn't happened in years.
Original post by TopHat
This French Open. I mean really, Murray gone, Del Potro gone, Wawrinka gone - that's a third of the top ten players. :/

Joke is that after RG, Wawrinka drops his points and so actually drops back out of the Top 10 properly, letting Tipsarevic back in

Btw, what are you planning to do now that your man is out of RG?
Original post by TopHat

Aye. Are we sure there's no other reason like low prize money, it just seems as if normally they'd make sure they got there.

That would be good, but it's quite evident that a Djoko-Nadal final would be more competitive and entertaining than Fedal, and that would be what the French organisers want.

However, what might be entertaining is putting Novak and Rafa in the same half, let them fight it out and see who needs it more, and if Nole prevails, then we could perhaps be treated to a Djokovic-Federer final, which hasn't happened in years.

They'd go for which one brings the most prestige and money, as great as Djokovic is Federer is still viewed as akin to a God and the one that Nadal has to beat over his career.

One other thing to remember is that despite being poor on clay this must surely present a great opportunity for a deep run from the likes of Tomic, Dimitrov, Raonic, Nikishori or even Hewitt (he's not being too bad recently). It would certainly be interesting to see Tomic, a player ranked in the 40's aged just 20 but having a QF, QF, R4 to his name in GS events.
Reply 1834

Nole is going for career slam and Rafa is also chasing history, but then Nole stopped Rafa at monte carlo playing one of the best first sets against rafa in recent years on clay.Moreover one could say that Nole in Monte Carlo was perphaps too early for Rafa and now winning 3 consecutive clay titles has given him the confidence and time and this time Rafa may be hoping to face nole as Rafa deep inside knows him None of the big guns have beaten him in his Beloved tournament that he owns and beating Rafa at the french surely nole will go on to win the french. I will make my final judgment on whos the favorite after the quarters.
Just thought about Tomic when i made my post and it took my mind back to this match. Not 100% from Djokovic but an entertaining match and Tomic has a beautiful forehand.

[video="youtube;d8wwggDjy7M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=d8wwggDjy7M[/video]

Down the line between 18:15 and 18:25 is immense.
This is 18 months later and pretty good, some incredible saves from Djokovic.

[video="youtube;GMiGh70-WPM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GMiGh70-WPM[/video]
Can't sleep and breaking my selfenforced exile from this thread...Firstly disappointed that Murray not playing RG but it is for the best hopefully if he is fully rested and well for Wimbledon I think he should rightly deserve the favourite tag and will hopefully prove it.

On another note aDel Potro plus Wawrinkw retirements just take a huge chunk away from tournament and sadly really is a missed chance for players. I mean for Del Potro again injury or in this case an infection strikes him down and I mean with the Big 4 looking slightly shaky I think this will be GS of the dark horses (although still one of Big 4-Murray winning) and del Potro has always been pretty handy on clay remember 08 was it when he played Federer and last year ai think he led hi 2 sets to love...As for Wawrinka this year as a whole seems to be playing amazing tennis so this was his opportunity to burst his way into the party get decent run to the semis or something

As for the draw I think they will ensure a Fedal semi with then a Djokovic-Nadal final
I think also with Nadal yes his run of form has been amazing but judging by his unwillingness to talk about his knees post Rome I think it will be interesting to see how he copes with potentially 7 best of 5 set matches given semis and finals could be full 5 setters for him. Although despite my slight doubts over his ability to withstand that still think he will win RG although judging by how Djokovic sounded during Rome he wants it bad and I think he will really really push Nadal as tbh last year we all knew in the back of our heads I think that Nadal was not going to lose...

Also usual candidates for upsets but I think biggest dark horses are Berdych and Dimitrov Janowicz and mayb Goffin ( where the hell is he? remember his run last year from being lucky loser) and with regards to Rakas 21 is Tomic actually playing RG? I read somewhere a few days ago his dad said he isn't although don't know how reliable that was

For some strange reason getting this strange feeling that Federer won't make it to the semis I don't know to be honest just feel if he runs into Berdych or maybe Tsonga he might not make it but hopefully he will

So yup that's my verbal diarrhoea of predictions most will probably be wrong as for the women's side Serena will win I mean unless she runs into Razzano whatever her name was and has another nervous breakdown or Hollywood comes calling and gives her a role in a movie there is no way she is not winning it. I mean the gap between her and rest if the tour is staggering did anyone see the Sharapova match.. It was so one sided ...

Now back to revising for my exam in Friday, hopefully will be able to resist watching tennis between now and the 2nd Wednesday of RG...
Original post by Rakas21

One other thing to remember is that despite being poor on clay this must surely present a great opportunity for a deep run from the likes of Tomic, Dimitrov, Raonic, Nikishori or even Hewitt (he's not being too bad recently). It would certainly be interesting to see Tomic, a player ranked in the 40's aged just 20 but having a QF, QF, R4 to his name in GS events.

Hewitt? Please. He just lost to Andujar at the Nice open. The others, sure, but Hewitt. I think not :rolleyes:
Reply 1839
Nadal, there's no doubt about it
He won 31 of his last 33 matches on the clay this year
He won 9 of his 10 matches against top 10 players
I'll follow blindly the tips of Sportytrader app for the final winning in Roland Garros
Vamos Rafa

Latest