The Student Room Group

AS-Level English Literature OCR may 17th

is anyone doing doing emily dickinson poems or the turn of the screw? any predictions on what poems might come up?
Reply 1
The's another thread for the exam but I'm also doing Turn of the Screw. I hope repressions will come up
Reply 2
Original post by Ndella
The's another thread for the exam but I'm also doing Turn of the Screw. I hope repressions will come up

i've seen a thread but it seems like not many people are doing these texts. unfortunately, i don't think repression will come up as it was already in the june or January exam
Reply 3
Yup I did Emily Dickinson and the turn of the screw .
I thought the poetry was good but not sure about the turn of the screw. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Spartz
Yup I did Emily Dickinson and the turn of the screw .
I thought the poetry was good but not sure about the turn of the screw. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was not too pleased with it because my least favourite poem came up. which question did you answer for the turn of the screw?
Reply 5
I done the first one on political fable didn't even know what it meant but I just explored the evilness of quint and Jessel and then sexual repression blah blah, wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Spartz
I done the first one on political fable didn't even know what it meant but I just explored the evilness of quint and Jessel and then sexual repression blah blah, wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i did the first one too! i had no idea what political fable meant i wrote about repression, class distinction, victorian values and thoughts on servants and such. I don't think i directly answered the question but i just wrote everything i could remember meh
I did Jane Eyre and Dickinson, anyone else did these too?
Reply 8
Original post by Radio.Active
I did Jane Eyre and Dickinson, anyone else did these too?

I did Jane Eyre, I picked the "mystery novel" question, what about you? :smile:

For poetry I did Yeats, they chose such a hard poem, it was written by him in like 1919/1920 and under the pressure of the exam I stupidly thought this was during WW1 so I wrote loads about that :frown: Does anyone know if that will significantly affect my answer, provided I answered the question well?
Reply 9
Yeah same I wrote about sexual oppression and governess as malevolent force etc.. It was a bit dodgy but I think boundaries will be low cause many found it hard.
For the poetry what did you link to? I linked I felt a Funeral and it was it death only cause I knew them haha. What did u write about them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Spartz
Yeah same I wrote about sexual oppression and governess as malevolent force etc.. It was a bit dodgy but I think boundaries will be low cause many found it hard.
For the poetry what did you link to? I linked I felt a Funeral and it was it death only cause I knew them haha. What did u write about them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I flopped the poetry section. i linked it to because i could not stop for death and i said that the poem is a reflection of her personal life and emotional torment and she experienced the death of her loved ones which is why she was depressed and wrote about death. i bull****ted all the through. what did you get in the coursework? x
Reply 11
Tbh English is all about bull****ting and i think I got an A but the teachers won't tell us but she gave me a clue saying it's 'high' wbu? And are you dropping English next year?
I did Jane eyre and Yeats - loved the Jane eyre question about 'rebellion and anger' but Yeats !! The poem!! -I had nothing to say about it and the question was quite difficultly worded!! I love English lit but this exam will have brought my grade crashing down :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by Spartz
Tbh English is all about bull****ting and i think I got an A but the teachers won't tell us but she gave me a clue saying it's 'high' wbu? And are you dropping English next year?

yeah i got an A (just) but i don't think i did as well in the exam. No, i'm not, are you?
Reply 14
Nope I'm carrying it on, hopefully the boundaries will be low (y)
Original post by danielm1206
I did Jane Eyre, I picked the "mystery novel" question, what about you? :smile:

For poetry I did Yeats, they chose such a hard poem, it was written by him in like 1919/1920 and under the pressure of the exam I stupidly thought this was during WW1 so I wrote loads about that :frown: Does anyone know if that will significantly affect my answer, provided I answered the question well?

I also picked the ''mystery novel' question. At first I chose the first one but then soon after starting my introduction I decided to do the second one.
I didn't finish it though. I spent too much time on Section A. Ah well, I wrote enough (2 pages and a half) but with no conclusion (no time).
Reply 16
*replies over two weeks after exam*
General consensus being Emily Dickinson question was hard?! I found it extremely hard seen as the one poem I did'nt like and study much for came up!! Reckon boundaries will be low?? my answer was pathetic I just spoke a load of bullsh*t and probably loads of grammar errors. Last year it was 40 for a C and like 53 for an A:angry:!!hopefully will drop this year!!!
Reply 17
Loads of people found this exam. I come from a sixth Form where English pass level is 98% (A-C) so the grade boundaries should be low

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Hi, do any of you remember what was the Emily Dickinson question for June 2013 please? I can see on the examiner report that it was on 'one need not be a chamber' but what were you supposed to discuss?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending