The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Ronove
Sarah doesn't need you to tell her to become a housewife, she can make her own choices about what she wants her life to be.

Different jobs and different bosses require different things as well. If Sarah's job/contract means that she has to have a work phone and be contactable, she has to answer the work phone. If your dad is in a high enough position or in a particular area of work whereby he doesn't need to have a work phone lying around, lucky him. It doesn't mean Sarah has the option to do the same.

I just wish she would stop working so hard. She never has much time for herself because she is with her son, at the moment I feel like she couldn't care less about me. She is always grumpy and sometimes takes her frustration out on me. I was trying to make a I'm Sorry card, I went to use these little glitter things my step brother has she saw me making the card with the glitter and had a go at me for that. I try and make a big cookie, I didn't even get time to start before she went "get out of my Kitchen I don't want you to make a mess" I feel like I can't do anything right and I don't know what to do:frown:I have ended up in the corner twice today because she thinks I am doing bad when I am trying to be good
(edited 10 years ago)
You made a few posts recently that showed how you were reflecting on the situation maturely, and I was really disappointed that you blew the chance to talk to Sarah. Don't give up on that - try again! Make her a cup of tea occasionally. Give her a hug even. And about the card and cookies... if you want to say sorry, just say "I'm really sorry" - it will mean a lot more than gifts.

I would also show this thread to your brother and maybe to your father, and ask if they can help you. Some bits are grim reading, but other bits do you real credit. Overall, I think it shows you recognise you made some bad choices in the past, and you want things to change, but you don't know how to make that happen. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by roar:)
I just wish she would stop working so hard. She never has much time for herself because she is with her son, at the moment I feel like she couldn't care less about me. She is always grumpy and sometimes takes her frustration out on me. I was trying to make a I'm Sorry card, I went to use these little glitter things my step brother has she saw me making the card with the glitter and had a go at me for that. I try and make a big cookie, I didn't even get time to start before she went "get out of my Kitchen I don't want you to make a mess" I feel like I can't do anything right and I don't know what to do:frown:I have ended up in the corner twice today because she thinks I am doing bad when I am trying to be good
Reply 82
Original post by Pastaferian
You made a few posts recently that showed how you were reflecting on the situation maturely, and I was really disappointed that you blew the chance to talk to Sarah. Don't give up on that - try again! Make her a cup of tea occasionally. Give her a hug even. And about the card and cookies... if you want to say sorry, just say "I'm really sorry" - it will mean a lot more than gifts.

I would also show this thread to your brother and maybe to your father, and ask if they can help you. Some bits are grim reading, but other bits do you real credit. Overall, I think it shows you recognise you made some bad choices in the past, and you want things to change, but you don't know how to make that happen. Good luck! :smile:

I sent her a text message saying I was sorry and the response was "Gosh what is it with teens and phones they can't do anything with out them" i spoke to my brother about the text, and everything, They are probably her pregnancy hormones. Hopefully I will find a time to apologise proparly, I cant seem to do anything right
I sent her a text message saying I was sorry and the response was "Gosh what is it with teens and phones they can't do anything with out them" i spoke to my brother about the text, and everything, They are probably her pregnancy hormones. Hopefully I will find a time to apologise proparly, I cant seem to do anything right

You definitely did do something right by apologising, but it is always better to do that face to face. In my opinion anyway. Have another go at talking to Sarah, but ask her if you can do it when there won't be any interruptions. Good luck!
Reply 84

Sounds more like she was accepting the apology and trying to stop things being awkward by making a joke, to me. I would advise stopping 'telling on her' all the time to your dad and brother, she will know that you are doing it - your dad at least will tell her in most cases, she is his life partner.
Reply 85
Sell a cow and buy some magic beans; hope for the best :wink:
Reply 86
Apologies.. I hear you, I'm immature. It'll get better
"It is so embaressing being put in the corner that is what she does with her 3 year old."

Highlight of my week, thanks for making me laugh OP!!

Talk to your dad or tell Sarah that you're boss around here and you won't let her boss you around.
I remember in primary school I learnt the word "****" and this person told me that it means "okay" and me being so innocent, I believed it. Then I said it in front of my parents and got in so much trouble.

Dude, you have freedom of speech but there's a time for everything. You can't just casually swear, if you are upset about something be mature and talk about why rather than using foul language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 89
I DON'T act like a 3 year old. My step brother acts like a 3 year old because he is 3. I don't throw tantrums like he does, It isn't so bad being put in the corner for him because he is little and deserves it when he acts up. I am older and don't deserve it. I am treated like a young child. It bugs me so much

To be honest, it seems to me like you're throwing a tantrum on TSR...
Reply 90
Original post by LeonVII
"It is so embaressing being put in the corner that is what she does with her 3 year old."

Highlight of my week, thanks for making me laugh OP!!

Talk to your dad or tell Sarah that you're boss around here and you won't let her boss you around.

I tried that once! Put this way I never really did it again!:tongue:
Reply 91
Hey :smile:

I really do understand what you're saying and why you feel like you do.
I've had step-parents from both sides and when I was growing up I really hated them telling me what to do.. I used to feel like you said.. that's not my parent so why should I listen??

But here's the thing.. Sarah is a part of your life now whether or not you want her to be and whether or not you like her/listen to her/want her to be part of your life.. she is going to be.. so really you have two choices.. you can either be bitter about it and about her and things will continue as they are..

or you can make the best of the situation.

I know it's tough to have this new person in your life but she makes your Dad happy, right? and I'd bet your Dad wants you guys to get along too. You want him to be happy, right?

I know it's probably the last thing you want to do, but really please give it a go... spend time with her. Okay, I'm not saying go all out and over the top and go for a big day out with her and be bezzies, but really.. make the first move and make an effort with her, even if just for your Dad's sake. If she's making food, ask if you can help, ask her how her day has been, be grown-up about it, if she's with the 3 year old help her with him.. That will also show her that you can be trusted with him.

Try to stay calm if she does something that annoys you, she's probably stressed out by some things you do as well. If her rules annoy you, try to talk to her about them but NOT when you guys are arguing, and explain your point of view to her and listen to her point of view in return.

Sometimes it's easier to cause arguments/do things to wind her up than to try and get along with her but at the end of the day, she will still be there and the situation won't have changed.

I don't know if I've really said what I want to say, but please just try act grown-up about it, I know this isn't your ideal situation but it's what you've got, so you might as well try and get along with her rather than arguing forever..

I wish you all the best <3
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by sj:)
Hey :smile:

I really do understand what you're saying and why you feel like you do.
I've had step-parents from both sides and when I was growing up I really hated them telling me what to do.. I used to feel like you said.. that's not my parent so why should I listen??

But here's the thing.. Sarah is a part of your life now whether or not you want her to be and whether or not you like her/listen to her/want her to be part of your life.. she is going to be.. so really you have two choices.. you can either be bitter about it and about her and things will continue as they are..

or you can make the best of the situation.

I know it's tough to have this new person in your life but she makes your Dad happy, right? and I'd bet your Dad wants you guys to get along too. You want him to be happy, right?

I know it's probably the last thing you want to do, but really please give it a go... spend time with her. Okay, I'm not saying go all out and over the top and go for a big day out with her and be bezzies, but really.. make the first move and make an effort with her, even if just for your Dad's sake. If she's making food, ask if you can help, ask her how her day has been, be grown-up about it, if she's with the 3 year old help her with him.. That will also show her that you can be trusted with him.

Try to stay calm if she does something that annoys you, she's probably stressed out by some things you do as well. If her rules annoy you, try to talk to her about them but NOT when you guys are arguing, and explain your point of view to her and listen to her point of view in return.

Sometimes it's easier to cause arguments/do things to wind her up than to try and get along with her but at the end of the day, she will still be there and the situation won't have changed.

I don't know if I've really said what I want to say, but please just try act grown-up about it, I know this isn't your ideal situation but it's what you've got, so you might as well try and get along with her rather than arguing forever..

I wish you all the best <3

Thanks she is taking me out tomorrow night just the two of us, I am not sure where yet though. I am quite excited. I think my problem was, was that I never remembered my real mum and I never realised what a mother daughter relationship was. I guess I am going to get on now!!!:biggrin:
Thanks she is taking me out tomorrow night just the two of us, I am not sure where yet though. I am quite excited. I think my problem was, was that I never remembered my real mum and I never realised what a mother daughter relationship was. I guess I am going to get on now!!!:biggrin:

Good for you! If you find it's getting emotional, take a deep breath and count to three before replying. I hope it goes well. :smile:
Reply 94
As everyone else has said, try to not to swear in front of the three year old, but 13 is to old to be put in the corner!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you cant confide in anyone within your family, try talking to a teacher at school. Teachers are surprisingly good at listening to their students if the child is going through a hard time at home.. they will listen and take whatever you say seriously, they will then alert the appropriate person.

Hope this helps, in the meantime, try being as good as you can.
This reminds me of my friends step mum. My friend refers to her as 'the bitch'. When talking about her he calls her the bitch. And he has been using that as a reference to her, he just says it so casually like 'yeah I am just alone at home with the bitch now which sucks, Im hoping the bitch makes something good for dinner'
Reply 97
Original post by Hopsin rapper
This reminds me of my friends step mum. My friend refers to her as 'the bitch'. When talking about her he calls her the bitch. And he has been using that as a reference to her, he just says it so casually like 'yeah I am just alone at home with the bitch now which sucks, Im hoping the bitch makes something good for dinner'

I called her that once, I didn't think she would hear but she did. I got into trouble when I got home for that one. :tongue:
Reply 98
Original post by Pastaferian
Good for you! If you find it's getting emotional, take a deep breath and count to three before replying. I hope it goes well. :smile:

So do I, I will let you all know how it goes. My step-mum has also agreed to leave her work phone at home so we wont be disturbed. I really want to know what we are doing but when i ask she just taps the side of her nose and winks at me.
Reply 99
Original post by christopher23
If you cant confide in anyone within your family, try talking to a teacher at school. Teachers are surprisingly good at listening to their students if the child is going through a hard time at home.. they will listen and take whatever you say seriously, they will then alert the appropriate person.

Hope this helps, in the meantime, try being as good as you can.

This is awful, awful advice. The stepmother in this case does not sound like she has been doing anything wrong, except perhaps for thinking it's OK to physically place the OP in the corner when she (stupidly) refuses to go in the corner. To go and report that to someone at school means that the teacher involved may feel they have a duty to notify social services, since they are generally not fit to make a judgement call on alleged abuse. This would almost certainly result in an escalation, ending with the OP living elsewhere, a lot of stress for everyone involved, and both parents gaining a grudge against the OP due to her putting the other children at risk of being removed (however unlikely it would be to happen, it's still a horrific feeling for the parents to be investigated).

Latest

Trending

Trending