The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2380
Has anyone got any creative interpretations for 'The River God' 'Les Grands Seigneurs' and 'Case History:Alison (head injury)'?
i would REALLY appreciate it!
And for the actual essay, do we have to continuously compare the two poems throughout the essay, or do we do it in chunks, if you know what i mean?
Reply 2381
Original post by Jess_Hills
how can you make that assumption when you haven't seen the paper?

all the other poems have already come up and In Paris With You, Brothers and Sister Maude are only for the foundation paper.
Original post by shu003
FOR ALL THOSE DOING THE RELATIONSHIPS CLUSTER:

The four poems that haven't yet come up are Sonnet 116, Ghazal, Born Yesterday and Coy Mistress. I believe the most likely ones to come up are going to be Sonnet 116 and Born Yesterday. When comparing the poetry you need to cross reference between the two poems. I would recommend using the "peals" technique

P: Point
E: Evidence
A: Analyse
L: Link to SMILE
S: switch

So basically every other paragraph you alternate poems. Do 3 similarities and 3 differences for the 2 poems and use PEALS on each paragraph to answer. So in a paragraph you would state a point (eg: Sonnet 116 uses the theme of time to express love blah blah) use evidence by stating a short quote, analyse it(state what effect it has on the reader and basically how it makes the poetry work) Link to either structure, meaning etc (so "this is further supported by the structure of the poem") and switch by going on to the next paragraph and writing about a similarity or difference (similarly Coy Mistress also utilizes the theme of time to express desire.) Do 5 minutes planning for section A and then 6 minutes on each paragraph.

Links I would suggest would be Sonnet 116 and Hour, Coy Mistress and either Ghazak or In Paris With You, Born Yesterday and Nettles or Hour and Ghazal and Coy Mistress. I worked this out from a combination of my teacher, finding techniques on YouTube and doing some maths and common sense/looking at potential links myself haha. As far as unseen goes just read the poem twice and then analyse the structure, meaning, imagery, language and effect on the reader

Good luck everyone!

Hey thanks for that - really useful!
However , do you have any idea which structure to use for the unseen poetry section?
What were you meant to write for question 21:

About the ending of An Inspector Calls, and how does the way Priestley writes this affects your views.
Please, please, please give me your views
Thanks
Can someone give me a possible question for Out of the Blue to answer
Original post by randlemcmurphy
What were you meant to write for question 21:

About the ending of An Inspector Calls, and how does the way Priestley writes this affects your views.
Please, please, please give me your views
Thanks

I did this question it was like the curtain falling shows that either this could be left as a cliff hanger and could be postivie and that they will change or it could be negative as would suggest like a guilting it will cut off the heads of the birling a which resulted in the Second World War before of their violence and capitalist isn

The sharp could suggest the inspector being hard and also Interputed so like the inspector before will be more powerful than the birling a and will have no escape from responsibility also said that the Inspector cuts off which shows the birlings have lost now and that the inspector dodnt want to hear anything which could be used to bribe him as it shows power in society doesn't let u get away with moral responsibility

I also said about guilty that they still hadn't changed and stuff like they were worried all there stuff would be taken from them and then Sheila and Eric hasn't changed completely and needed to as there children would be post war and is the reason why today in 2913 there is no war as these children have learnt which shows the inspectors lesson was learnt

Also said that the inspector could be a ghost suggested in his surname google which is unpleasant and that he killed a girl to try and chnage the life's of the birlings to prevent any more Eva an. John smiths being killed

And that the first inspector was pay back for the First World War and the second is for the Second World War

Posted from TSR Mobile
yup... to his coy mistress, and sonnet 116 are most likely to appear
most people are predicting ghazal
it just depends
anybody got a clue on what the question will be like??
on language, strong feelings or any other theme
mr bruff is a good online utube poetry teacher
im not sure on wether he does all the clusters, however, his analysis is A/ A*
im doing the relationships cluster
Reply 2388
Original post by ThatGirlx
Hey thanks for that - really useful!
However , do you have any idea which structure to use for the unseen poetry section?

I would use a technique called SMILE.

S: Structure (change of idea in each stanza to indicate a joyful pace etc)
M: Meaning (what the poet is intending and why they employ the structure or other techniques
I: Imagery (like nature to represent timelessness)
L: Language (Poet uses agressive language to indicate _)
E: Effect on reader (explain how it makes the reader respond)
Reply 2389
Original post by button.
I don't think the question specifically said the naval officer, but it asked about the end of the novel, so writing about the naval officer was fine:smile: yeah, I'm going the fact that not many people did it will be to my advantage as well - it's easier for your answer to seem original!
That sounds really good what you have written, mine was really different to that but hopefully still alright - I think the question was quite open and could have been taken in a number of different ways.

Oh right cool! yeah yours sounds good!
what poetry cluster are you doing thursday, if you are doing one?
Reply 2390
Cluld someone please provide me to some revision notes / videos to conflict??

Thanks
Reply 2391
Original post by jack97

Thanks

someone gave out this link, forgot who.. http://freeeschool.blogspot.com.au/ but its really helpful. :smile:
Original post by SS_Ldn
Well All the other named poems have come up apart from Portrait of a Deaf Man, Casehistory, River God and LGS so it will proably I'm guessing be one of these at least I think

Yup, even though they're my least favourite poems because our class didn't go into much detail on these :frown:
Reply 2393
Original post by fs1996
Oh right cool! yeah yours sounds good!
what poetry cluster are you doing thursday, if you are doing one?

Yeah, hopefully it will be okay:/ I'm doing the relationships cluster, you?
Original post by jack97

Thanks

there is a reviosn guide and links to several videos on my post here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42718490#post42718490

we are talking about what may come up in conflict
i think it will be OOTB and Hawk roosting
Does anyone have an unannotated online copy of the Relationships cluster?
Thanks
Reply 2396
anyone else doing pride and prejudice, any predictions?
Original post by ThatGirlx
Does anyone have an unannotated online copy of the Relationships cluster?
Thanks

look on bitesize

they have it there i think
Original post by ryanb97
look on bitesize

they have it there i think

Thanks - Good luck for tomorrow:biggrin:
Reply 2399
Does anyone have sample responses for the poetry cluster?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending