The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ergo30
Did you try and ring up universities?
They are sometimes willing to give you some clinical experience.

I've got a placement through school but because I'm on that I can't do anything else through the university/Nhs apparently. (That's what the co-ordination told me)

The only thing they said I could do would be contact GPs and my GP doesn't allow it. Wish I knew someone that would let me shadow without going through procedures!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 181
Original post by Officegirl4
I've got a placement through school but because I'm on that I can't do anything else through the university/Nhs apparently. (That's what the co-ordination told me)

The only thing they said I could do would be contact GPs and my GP doesn't allow it. Wish I knew someone that would let me shadow without going through procedures!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, that's very odd, I never shadowed my own Dad for work experience btw, that would be odd on so many levels. I still had to go through the procedure of formal letter, interview etc. :smile:
It's a headache but we all have to go through it. I even had to go through a background check for UCL. :rolleyes:

My GP group practice was the same - they thought it would cause confidentiality problems, as I'd be likely to know patients or vice versa. However, others with the same problem addressed it by approaching GP's in the next town - close enough for travel purposes, but far enough away to address the confidentiality problem. You have to make lots of enquiries in order to get one opportunity.

You also need to recruit all your friends and family to help with your search. I spent a week away from home because I was able to get a placement through a relative who lived 150 miles away.

Good luck!
I envy you so much! I have no connections what so ever

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile: You really don't need connections, although that does make life a whole lot easier. Just be ruthless and write to absolutely every GP in the town next to yours (confidentiality problems). Include references too. Out of the 10 I contacted, only 1 reluctantly said yes. Keep trying!!!
Reply 184
Original post by sadiex1
how are u finding A-level Bio?

it';s ok at first was one edge but it all right i've done IGCSE biology and got an A grade few UMS of an A*s . but i really want to do medicine :biggrin: am i good enough ???
Reply 185
Original post by muna88
it';s ok at first was one edge but it all right i've done IGCSE biology and got an A grade few UMS of an A*s . but i really want to do medicine :biggrin: am i good enough ???

what grade do you get in IGCSE biology?
I am right in thinking 2014 Medicine hopefuls are the ones currently in year 11? As I'm currently in year 11..or am I a 2015 medicine hopeful?! Very confused haha!
Original post by ffionhanathomas
I am right in thinking 2014 Medicine hopefuls are the ones currently in year 11? As I'm currently in year 11..or am I a 2015 medicine hopeful?! Very confused haha!

It's year of entry. So we are current year 12 :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by g.k.galloway
It's year of entry. So we are current year 12 :smile:

Ohhh! I'm a bit earlier then :tongue:
Thank you very much for your help!
Ohhh! I'm a bit earlier then :tongue:
Thank you very much for your help!

Nothing wrong with being prepared! That's what this game is all about :biggrin:

You'll be writing your UCAS application in 2014, hoping to start uni in 2015 (i.e., "2015 entry"). But some of your peers will take a gap year and start in 2016. Still confused? :tongue:

Anyway, this thread is mainly for people in the year above you, with a smattering of people like me who are in Y13 or beyond. But stick around - you can probably get some good hints and tips here. Good luck with your studies!
Roughly how much of my personal statement should be about work experience? Thinking of starting my personal statement soon but only have one or two reach things to reflect on, my main work experience is in summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, when contacting GPs for work experience is it better to do it by letter or over the phone (can't seem to find any email addresses)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, when contacting GPs for work experience is it better to do it by letter or over the phone (can't seem to find any email addresses)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Letter seems more professional and formal, but is there a guarantee they'll read it ? :P
For mine, I called them and asked who I could talk to for work experience and then got the email off them whilst on the line.
Roughly how much of my personal statement should be about work experience? Thinking of starting my personal statement soon but only have one or two reach things to reflect on, my main work experience is in summer.

There is a library of 100+ sample medical personal statements on TSR, plus advice on writing your own, including advice on how to structure it (which you should follow). There is also a 'PS Helper' service, although it's not open yet for this year's rush. Look for them in the wiki (link is in my sig and in the top right corner of this screen). I wrote 1/3 on my medical placements, 1/6 on volunteering, and 1/4 on other life experiences - all these sections included reflections on what I experienced.

To the advice on TSR, I would add that you should start by listing all the things you have achieved, and all the personal qualities that you'd like the med school to know about you, and at the end of the whole exercise I would check that your final draft hasn't missed anything important (stuff goes missing during edits - KEEP ALL YOUR DRAFTS!). Your first draft should include everything you want to say without worrying about character / line limits, and without worrying too much about getting the phrasing exactly right. You'll (re)write the work experience section after your summer work experience, and then you can start honing it, cutting bits that don't tell the reader much about you, and phrasing everything for maximum impact. Ask several people for opinions but make your own mind up about what changes you make (not all reviewer opinions are compatible with each other).

Both can work - it depends on how confident you feel about phoning. If you do phone them, ask to speak to the Practice Manager in a GP Group Practice - don't ask the receptionist if they can help you (they are experts in saying 'no', in my experience). And don't phone in the morning, as the switchboard will be under siege from people who are actually ill, or think they are :smile:

Your local GP may not be helpful, due to confidentiality (you may know the patients, or vice versa), so try neighbouring towns if you can. If you aren't 'local', say so. Don't rely on letters/phone calls either - recruit all your family, friends and any other contacts to try to find something for you. If anyone is visiting their GP, get them to ask on your behalf. Be ruthless about getting help.

Good luck!
Hi, this sept I want to apply for medicine, I've organised my work placement, and will be starting soon (hospital setting) and I've also done lots of charity work and organised my own events, I think I will get okay grades in the summer but I'm also on programmes that mean my conditional offer would be reduced say from three A's to two A's and a B. I need advice on what Universities are the most safest to apply to, I like Manchester, Leeds, York, Newcastle, Sheffield, Birmingham, Nottingham, Hull, Keele and so on. I prefer the research intensive universities over the more traditional ones. Ideas?
Reply 196
Original post by safiyasaeed
Hi, this sept I want to apply for medicine, I've organised my work placement, and will be starting soon (hospital setting) and I've also done lots of charity work and organised my own events, I think I will get okay grades in the summer but I'm also on programmes that mean my conditional offer would be reduced say from three A's to two A's and a B. I need advice on what Universities are the most safest to apply to, I like Manchester, Leeds, York, Newcastle, Sheffield, Birmingham, Nottingham, Hull, Keele and so on. I prefer the research intensive universities over the more traditional ones. Ideas?

Aberdeen? Glasgow?
Original post by Pastaferian
You'll be writing your UCAS application in 2014, hoping to start uni in 2015 (i.e., "2015 entry"). But some of your peers will take a gap year and start in 2016. Still confused? :tongue:

Anyway, this thread is mainly for people in the year above you, with a smattering of people like me who are in Y13 or beyond. But stick around - you can probably get some good hints and tips here. Good luck with your studies!

Nope I understand now, thank you very much for your help :biggrin:

Yes, I shall definitely stick around!
Hi everyone :smile:
I'm sure a lot of us have had the main exams out of the way and a few to go after half term, but soon it's all about getting prepared for UCAS applications in September. Good luck to everyone applying for 2014 entry. Is anyone else considering applying to Imperial College? I'm absolutely in love with the uni :biggrin:
Original post by Potential Medic
Hi everyone :smile:
I'm sure a lot of us have had the main exams out of the way and a few to go after half term, but soon it's all about getting prepared for UCAS applications in September. Good luck to everyone applying for 2014 entry. Is anyone else considering applying to Imperial College? I'm absolutely in love with the uni :biggrin:

I'm either going to apply to Cambridge or Imperial as I only want to risk one BMAT uni. I will decide once I see if I get the UMS average 'requirement' for Cambridge.
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest