The Student Room Group

AS/A2 WJEC English Language LG1/LG4 24-May & 3-June 2013

Would anyone like to discuss LG1 or LG4?
Essay structure?
These videos might may be useful for revision: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDC1DB15082544F5B
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Nerd2
Would anyone like to discuss LG1 or LG4?
Essay structure?
These videos might may be useful for revision: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDC1DB15082544F5B

I don't have a clue about structure and how to apply to question. My eng teacher is rubbish I need help for lg1
Reply 2
Original post by raychael95
I don't have a clue about structure and how to apply to question. My eng teacher is rubbish I need help for lg1

Do you have the CGP English Language book? They give a brief description on how to structure your essay and what to include. If you don't have it, I'll upload some paragraphs from the book on here.
Reply 3
Ooh could you please upload paragraphs please as I don't have the book, thank you so much
Reply 4
Ooh could you please upload paragraphs please as I don't have the book, thank you so much

20130521_213823.jpg
20130521_211838.jpg
20130521_211914.jpg

20130521_214019.jpg
20130521_214027.jpg
20130521_214105.jpg
Sorry about the lighting, my flash wasn't working. Ignore the "attached thumbnails" below
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
This is great, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
This is great, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here are the most recent papers available on the WJEC site, its the Summer 2012 paper.
Btw, are taking the LG4 paper this year as well?

Good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Thank you, no I'm only taking lg1. Have you got any other tips that would be useful, also would u say the specification is helpful?
Reply 8
Thank you, no I'm only taking lg1. Have you got any other tips that would be useful, also would u say the specification is helpful?

The main thing is to learn as much of the language framworks as possible, like pronouns, adjectives word classes as well as others.

Go through all the past papers and the mark schemes, every year there is a different text, it might be political text, court room text. or a leaflet for a product, it could really be anything. Go through the mark schemes will give you an idea of the type of points you need to look out for in the text when you presented with a certain type of text. For example typical features of a charity appeal, would be the use of the pronoun "we", the text would probably say "together we can help change...", then you need to discuss the affect this has on the reader, such as it includes them, makes them feel as though they personally make can make a difference.
Make sure you go through all the past papers, even if it is quick glance!

I haven't had a chance to look at the specification properly, you should defiantly give it a read and familiarise yourself with it.
Also don't forget to make every point relevant, you need to explain what affect it has on the reader. Also time yourself properly.
I did this exam about 2 years ago now! I can barely remember much from my first year of college. I just about managed to get a B in this exam, so I'm probably not the best person to ask for advice lol

How did your coursework go? That was my favourite part about English Language, the coursework was easy, but unfortunately as it was on computers, a lot of the class, myself included were easily distracted.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Thank you, this is great advice. I only got a 'C' for my coursework, I don't have the best english teachers, they didn't help me that much. But the coursework was still really fun
Reply 10
Thank you, this is great advice. I only got a 'C' for my coursework, I don't have the best english teachers, they didn't help me that much. But the coursework was still really fun

No problem. Come on here after the exam on Friday and we discuss the texts.
Reply 11
Okay will do
Reply 12
My teacher has advised this structure..
-Graphology
-Syntax
-Lexis
-Figurative language
:smile:
Reply 13
Ooh thank you, what comes under figurative language? I thought graphology came under figurative language
Suddenly concerned at the mention of graphology ... considering my exam is Friday and I don't know what it means >.> <.<
Reply 15
Ooh thank you, what comes under figurative language? I thought graphology came under figurative language

Figurative language (figures of speech):
- Similes
-Metaphors
-Personification
-Metonymy
-Oxymoron
Figurative speech is part of everyday language. I think you may find them in political language, especially when a politician wants to mask a certain situation or take the seriousness out of a situation. Maybe when a politician says something like "We are as a nation, one big family."
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by mollie-kelly
Suddenly concerned at the mention of graphology ... considering my exam is Friday and I don't know what it means >.> <.<

Graphology is just the study of the appearance of text. I wouldn't worry that much about it, there is not an a lot you can say about it most of the time.

Typeface (font)- Can sometimes tell you about the tone of the text. A child's book sometimes may have a more youthful and "fun" kind of font, whereas an article from say The Times will generally be quite standard, Times New Roman or Ariel or something like that.

Bold, italics and underlining text, can place emphasis on certain words or part of the text.
Any capitalised words can have a similar effect, for example "SHOUT!"

Then there can be graphics (images), these can break up a text, help illustrate and develop meaning. There is a lot of pictures in kids books for that same reason. I remember when I analysed a text for a dogs' charity, there were a bunch of pictures of miserable dogs dotted around the text, obviously there to draw upon your sympathy.

That's all I can all I say at the moment on graphology, might add a few things tomorrow, I've got to go revise for my politics exam now.

EDIT: Don't forget to use words like "typeface" and "graphics", when talking about font and images, they just sound more linguistic.
(edited 10 years ago)
Thank you very much for your help! :smile:
Reply 18
Also, does anyone know what pragmatics is?
Reply 19
Also, does anyone know what pragmatics is?

Pragmatics is how the social conventions, context, personality, and relationships influence the choices people make about their language.

For example, in terms of relationship, you would be expected to address your parents as dad and mom. Also you would be maybe expected to refer to your teachers as Sir or Miss.

In terms of social conventions, you may use slang when speaking to your peers, but your formality would be different to say if you were in a court room, where you're expected to use formal language.

In basic terms, it's just the way your language differs in different social conventions and with different people.

Quick Reply

Latest