The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by jojo1995
No, i haven't booked mine yet, i don't really plan on doing so until around results day in august just incase i decide to go the graduate entry way instead :redface:

aww, bless - you must be so emosh right now - i had my leavers mass the other day ... i cant believe it will all be over soon :tongue: im going to miss school.

Fair point, although I'm sure that won't be necessary :biggrin:

We do have a 'Leavers' Day' once exams are finished so we'll all be seeing each other at least one more time - I think the tears will probably start spilling then! I know, it's so hard to believe how everything's gone so quickly, I remember starting sixth form as if it was yesterday! I will miss it too, but I'm definitely ready to leave as well.
im thinking of reapplying for medicine in 2013.

Ive got an offer from eastern europe but am deciding to re apply.

what should i focus on ?
Reply 342
Original post by kimsiclez
Anyone booked their UKCAT yet?

Today was our last day of lessons, ever. Such a weird feeling but at the same time it hasn't quite hit me that we're never going back!

I booked mine a couple of weeks ago :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 343
Original post by cheesypuff
im thinking of reapplying for medicine in 2013.

Ive got an offer from eastern europe but am deciding to re apply.

what should i focus on ?

I'm interested in applying to Eastern Europe! Where did you apply and what is the entry criteria and what is application process? Do enlighten me please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 344
If I don't get a job as a HCA what other jobs should I be looking for? Any ideas? I understand that it could job but generally are there any other jobs that would contribute to a good application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 345
Original post by Nandos94
Hey, when I send my PS off, I said I would do x,y and z. I was able to still talk about it at interview, as long as the work experience you've already got, you're able to speak enough about it, it's all okay. You just need enough to get an interview, after that, the floor is yours. Despite this, I got a job as a HCA after I sent off my UCAS, so I wasn't even able to put that into my PS, although at interview I brought it in, and they seemed impressed. So it will still be worth it, but don't do work experience for the sake of doing work experience, do it because you find it interesting and you want too do it and learn from it.

Thank you! :smile: that really helped! When did you get the HCA job and did you work full time? I'm just not sure to do full time...where am I going I find the time to fit in all my volunteer work prepare for UKCAT etc....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone.. I am also applying for the 2014 entry.. but not strictly as a reapplicant. But I think I can make good use of this thread. :smile:
Reply 347
Original post by DinaRayy
If I don't get a job as a HCA what other jobs should I be looking for? Any ideas? I understand that it could job but generally are there any other jobs that would contribute to a good application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It could be absolutely anything! As long as you enjoy it and can justify it.

I did tutoring and then extra volunteering and work experience :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DinaRayy
Thank you! :smile: that really helped! When did you get the HCA job and did you work full time? I'm just not sure to do full time...where am I going I find the time to fit in all my volunteer work prepare for UKCAT etc....

No worries :smile: I got my job in October, worked full time till March. I still found time to go out, volunteer weekly (for most weeks), play sports. You can still work, because if you have Long Days, and nights for most of your shifts, you'll only work like 3 days a week. Alternatively, you can request all the days you volunteer on, as offs, so you don't get shifts on those dates. You should be able to work around it, but obviously it depends on hospitals ect.
Reply 349
Is anyone here considering putting down a fifth option this year? I can't say I really thought about doing it last year and I can't seem to find much information about what/where would be best to do.

Worst case scenario, if we're forced to do grad entry would it be best to look at unis that do Biomed and can allow transfers from medicine after the first year? If so, does anyone know which unis do this (or something similar!) or where I would be best off finding out about this?

Hope everyone's A2s are going well.
where to get a job that pays incredibly well? IT HAS TO BE LEGAL:tongue:
Reply 351
where to get a job that pays incredibly well? IT HAS TO BE LEGAL:tongue:

Tutoring pays incredibly well. I get about £20/hr for tutoring maths
Reply 352
Original post by Kev.1995

That seems like a really good idea. How do you advertise though? can you just say 'I am a student who achieved blah blah at A-level able to help out with...'?
Reply 353
Original post by kimsiclez
Is anyone here considering putting down a fifth option this year? I can't say I really thought about doing it last year and I can't seem to find much information about what/where would be best to do.

Worst case scenario, if we're forced to do grad entry would it be best to look at unis that do Biomed and can allow transfers from medicine after the first year? If so, does anyone know which unis do this (or something similar!) or where I would be best off finding out about this?

Hope everyone's A2s are going well.

Leicester, Newcastle have biomed transfers and there's the bradford clinical science transfer. Those are the only three i've heard of but I reckon other universities will do transfers as well :smile:
Reply 354
Original post by richtea5
That seems like a really good idea. How do you advertise though? can you just say 'I am a student who achieved blah blah at A-level able to help out with...'?

I only do it because people I know have told other people who have come to me. But yeah that'll be okay. If you get an A/A* at level you're bound to know your stuff. Plus having just come out from the exam we more or less know all the techniques and what you actually do need to know :smile:

Hey thats a great idea! Where do you register to become a tutor,i.e what website?

How did you advertise?
Hey thats a great idea! Where do you register to become a tutor,i.e what website?

How did you advertise?

Yeah Id like to know this too, I got these good A levels and they are not helping me at all until i get into med school :tongue: so i thought about tutoring as well :biggrin:
Reply 357

20?? I need to have a chat with my employer.
Original post by raveen789
Yeah Id like to know this too, I got these good A levels and they are not helping me at all until i get into med school :tongue: so i thought about tutoring as well :biggrin:

if you find out something out tutoring can you please tell me :biggrin:?
Original post by raveen789

if you dont mind me asking what is your situation with medical school:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest