The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ADAOBI123
would that come up on the exam ? :s-smilie:

There could always be the possibility of it appearing, but quite unlikely really. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MathsNerd1
There could always be the possibility of it appearing, but quite unlikely really. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

phew, but I'll look over it later on :smile:
Original post by ADAOBI123
phew, but I'll look over it later on :smile:

Same here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
One thing i do not understand is that SF6 has bond angles of 90 degrees. could someone please explain why that is?
I've done all the past paers, but does anyone know where I can get more questions for free online? (particularly calculations) Thanks :smile:
Original post by Dr. Django
I've done all the past paers, but does anyone know where I can get more questions for free online? (particularly calculations) Thanks :smile:

http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/OCR%20Chemistry%20A/Unit%201/Unit%201%20resources.html

This helped for me
Original post by Dr. Django

Welcome
Original post by gettingcreamy
One thing i do not understand is that SF6 has bond angles of 90 degrees. could someone please explain why that is?

I'm not sure why really, just that is forms 4 bonds in the same plane and 2 vertically opposite eachother which gives the bond angle of 90 degrees between each bond.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169

because if the angle was any smaller the electrons wouldn't be as far apart as possible, and the same for if the angle was bigger - as it would mean the electron is getting closer to a different electron (the angle increases on one side and decreases on the other). Remember electrons repel each other as much as possible. Hope this helps :smile:

Imagine the molecule as a 3D shape and not 2D.
http://www.3dchem.com/inorganics/SF6.jpg

In this way you can see that the molecule has 90 degree bond angle between each atom.
Original post by Tom Winfield
Imagine the molecule as a 3D shape and not 2D.
http://www.3dchem.com/inorganics/SF6.jpg

In this way you can see that the molecule has 90 degree bond angle between each atom.

Thanks. Good one :biggrin:
Bond angles and shapes are fine for the most part, but i was doing a paper that was about hydrazine and they asked for the bond angle of "N-H-N" or something like that... thats when it got confusing. Also in the january 2013 paper a similar question came up with the "O-B-O" bond angle or whatever.
Reply 173
anyone know where the mark scheme for the specimen paper is ?
I just came out of psychology and have this whole topic to do in a few hours. No part paoers although I done them in january and was getting a's but in actual exam I got a D. Test is much harder than past papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 175
can someone please explain hydrogen bonding?
Original post by Shanze S
anyone know where the mark scheme for the specimen paper is ?

Just scroll underneath the questions. The mark scheme is there
Question

Explain the decrease in atomic radius across each period?
Predict and explain whether a sodium ion is larger or smaller than a sodium atom.
Why does the boiling point increase from Sodium to Aluminium?
I use a nifty mneumonic which is weird- SSPIRD - similar shielding,protons increase,radii decreases and FIE increases - down groups I just say radius,sheilding,shells and protons increases but FIE decreases

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 179
I'm going to have a hard time waking up for this exam :frown: My sleeping patterns are soo bad!

Latest

Trending

Trending