The Student Room Group

Human Biology OCR F222, 3rd of June 2013

Anyone here sitting F222 this June? Haven't seen any threads on this so I thought I'd start one myself :biggrin:

Any predictions for this exam coming? If anyone on here is even sitting it haha,

Good Luck to anyone who is! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by RB136444
Anyone here sitting F222 this June? Haven't seen any threads on this so I thought I'd start one myself :biggrin:

Any predictions for this exam coming? If anyone on here is even sitting it haha,

Good Luck to anyone who is! :smile:

Yep, I'm not looking forward to it too much. I've been doing the past papers and they seem to be a bit wooly in terms of solid content - and more focused on the suggest style of question.

I got an A in my mock, so I'm hoping I can pull the cat out of the bag :\

Im thinking that cancer will feature as the first long marker... Possibly the six phases of tumour growth because of the Melanoma pre-release. I'm also thinking some stuff on respiratory illness, as there wasn't much of that in the last two past papers.

How are you feeling for it? Any tips?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Hii!! I'm taking it too! I'm dreading it - how are you guys finding the advanced notice papers?
And how did you find f221 yesterday ?
Reply 3
Original post by Ulfr
Yep, I'm not looking forward to it too much. I've been doing the past papers and they seem to be a bit wooly in terms of solid content - and more focused on the suggest style of question.

I got an A in my mock, so I'm hoping I can pull the cat out of the bag :\

Im thinking that cancer will feature as the first long marker... Possibly the six phases of tumour growth because of the Melanoma pre-release. I'm also thinking some stuff on respiratory illness, as there wasn't much of that in the last two past papers.

How are you feeling for it? Any tips?

I know what you mean, I hate the sugget questions, luckily they're only worth 1-2 marks each>_< But well done! I've been going through some of the past papers and I've made some revision cards throughout the year but I still feel behind on it :/

I've made a list of everything I need to revise, and I'm ticking off as I go along, but I'm kind of feeling good about it yet worried haha, how about you? And in terms of tips I think the best is doing past papers & making model answers for the long questions and learning them :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by LittleSE
Hii!! I'm taking it too! I'm dreading it - how are you guys finding the advanced notice papers?
And how did you find f221 yesterday ?

My friend did the F221 resit though, and she said something about electrolytes coming up and she had no idea what they were xD But then neither do I.. How did you find it? I did F221 in January and I didn't sleep at all before the exam xD I was so tired I even missed out a question and luckily I still got a C but I want an A! So I hope to get an A in this exam and then I'm gonna retake the first one next year. And the advanced notice papers aren't too bad, my lecturer made our class a list of questions of which could come up for each and she said most of the ones they predict do come up about 98% of the time :biggrin:
Reply 5
Found the January 2013 paper but don't know where the mark scheme is! http://ifitsgreenitsbiology.wordpress.com/2013/01/10/january-exams-2013/
Any ideas? even if its an unofficial one
Reply 6
Original post by RB136444
My friend did the F221 resit though, and she said something about electrolytes coming up and she had no idea what they were xD But then neither do I.. How did you find it? I did F221 in January and I didn't sleep at all before the exam xD I was so tired I even missed out a question and luckily I still got a C but I want an A! So I hope to get an A in this exam and then I'm gonna retake the first one next year. And the advanced notice papers aren't too bad, my lecturer made our class a list of questions of which could come up for each and she said most of the ones they predict do come up about 98% of the time :biggrin:

Yes yes electrolytes did come up - they're to do with maintaining water potential in the blood..
I found it okay but obviously I'm nervous about the result.. I'd love an A too! You're so lucky you got to take one in jan - my college is cancelling all jan exams!
Really? Do you think you could tell me some of the predicted questions?!
Reply 7
can you guys tell me what questions may come up for case study 1 and 2. Im really desperate
Reply 8
Hi i too taking the exam...friends i need the model papers can anyone send????????Thank \s in advance:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by LittleSE
Yes yes electrolytes did come up - they're to do with maintaining water potential in the blood..
I found it okay but obviously I'm nervous about the result.. I'd love an A too! You're so lucky you got to take one in jan - my college is cancelling all jan exams!
Really? Do you think you could tell me some of the predicted questions?!

All colleges are stopping January exams which sucks :frown: But sure! If you give me your email I'll send them to you :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
I think the problem I am identifying from the past papers is not necessarily the lack of knowledge, but more that when they ask vague question they want specific, detailed answers; and when they ask specific questions they want a vague outline as well as specifics.

i think the most useful thing is just going to be writing down anything that is relevant - even if you're not sure what the question is asking for.

I'm half expecting to questions about viral/ bacterial structure and related topics judging from the pattern of questions

edit:

also, if you use a term such as Differentiate or Pyknosis, briefly outline what it is.
(edited 10 years ago)
24%of the bases in a DNA sample were adenine. What is the % of cytosine? can anyone help me out with this???????
Reply 12
Original post by junaid_k17
24%of the bases in a DNA sample were adenine. What is the % of cytosine? can anyone help me out with this???????

24% is Adenine, which means another 24% is Thymine (As they pair up together), so that together is 48% meaning there is 52% left for both Cytosine and Guanine, and so the % of Cytosine would be 26% :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Rettajean
Hi i too taking the exam...friends i need the model papers can anyone send????????Thank \s in advance:smile:

What do you mean my model papers? :smile:
Describe the role of enzymes in the semi-conservative replication of DNA? would the answer be that dna helicase breaks the hydrogen bonds between the bases, this unzips the double helix. free nucletides then fix onto the complementary exposed bases. dna polymerase then joins the nuceotides together, it forms a phosphodiester bond between the phosphate group of one and the 5-c sugar of another.

should i also add than dna helicase repairs the dna backbone?
Reply 15
Describe the role of enzymes in the semi-conservative replication of DNA? would the answer be that dna helicase breaks the hydrogen bonds between the bases, this unzips the double helix. free nucletides then fix onto the complementary exposed bases. dna polymerase then joins the nuceotides together, it forms a phosphodiester bond between the phosphate group of one and the 5-c sugar of another.

I'm pretty sure that would be right :biggrin: and also maybe you can put in that there are enzymes that proof-read the DNA, to check that it has replicated/copied accurately and if there has been a mistake it will correct it :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Ulfr
I think the problem I am identifying from the past papers is not necessarily the lack of knowledge, but more that when they ask vague question they want specific, detailed answers; and when they ask specific questions they want a vague outline as well as specifics.

i think the most useful thing is just going to be writing down anything that is relevant - even if you're not sure what the question is asking for.

I'm half expecting to questions about viral/ bacterial structure and related topics judging from the pattern of questions

edit:

also, if you use a term such as Differentiate or Pyknosis, briefly outline what it is.

I know what you mean, I never know what I need to take out of a question that doesn't need too much detail and how much to put in when it does, it's so annoying, and I'm so sick of bloody suggest questions I hate them so much! And I'd love for questions to come up on viral/bacterial structure it's what I know best haha xD
Reply 17

You could talk about the lagging strand and the need for DNA ligase as a result of the Okazaki fragments. You also might need to specify that DNA polymerase proof-reads the polynucleotide chain in the five prime to three prime direction.
Reply 18
hey

what sort of things are you researching for the case study?
Reply 19
Original post by syders123
hey

what sort of things are you researching for the case study?

It might not be a wise move but I'm not googling anything. I'm just going hardcore on stuff connected to the case studies:

non- infectious diseases and chronic illness
cancer
clinical trials
epidemiology
etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending