The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry, unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sharif Chowdhury
Omg, I didn't even realise you could do that, I feel silly now... haha, you learn something new every day.

Indeed you do :biggrin:
Original post by Chewy29
Has graphene appeared on the spec and if it has what the hell is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its basically like graphite. It came up on the June 2012 paper.
I always trip up on the deduce this isotope question, help/:
Reply 43
Here's a picture illustrating the order in which electron subshells fill. Sorry for my bad paint skills xD
Learn how to draw this diagram and you'll never forget the order of subshells.

Original post by x-Sophie-x
5s2 4d10 5p1

There aren't f blocks yet. At least thats what I think :smile:

Cheers all! I think I've got it down. :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by studentindistres
I always trip up on the deduce this isotope question, help/:

Post up the question :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by NabRoh
Could someone explain to me how shells are filled up using Indium as an example?
Does the 4th shell have an f block (14?)?

So if we went up to the 6th shell would it be:

1s22s22p63s23p64s23d104p6...1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^2 3p^6 4s^2 3d^10 4p^6 ...

What comes next?

I just remember the following:
1s
2s 2p
3s 3p
4s 3d 4p
5s 4d 5p
6s 4f 5d 6p

It makes a sort of L shape :wink:

2 electrons in S
6 in P
10 in D
14 in F
Reply 46
Hello fellow unit 1ers

Does anyone know an easy way to remember the shapes of molecules both with lone pairs and bond angles and stuff?? I always memorize them and forget them like a week later its really annoying :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mattj94
I have created revision notes for this exam and they can be found on my website http://www.mattsrevision.com/chemistry-in-action/

Matt

Thanks for the notes Matt :smile:
Original post by NabRoh
Could someone explain to me how shells are filled up using Indium as an example?
Does the 4th shell have an f block (14?)?

So if we went up to the 6th shell would it be:

1s22s22p63s23p64s23d104p6...1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^2 3p^6 4s^2 3d^10 4p^6 ...

What comes next?

Not 100% sure if this is right...

1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p6 5s2 (orbitals with a higher energy are filled first)

Please correct me if i am wrong :smile:

also yes the 4th shell has an f orbital.... apply the formula 2(n^2)
2(n^2)= 2(4^2)= 32 electrons in the 4th shell
1 4s orbital + 1 4p orbital + 1 4d orbital + 1 4f orbital= 32 atomic orbitals
Reply 49
Original post by a.jiwa
Hello fellow unit 1ers

Does anyone know an easy way to remember the shapes of molecules both with lone pairs and bond angles and stuff?? I always memorize them and forget them like a week later its really annoying :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found it helpful creating a table like the one in Matt's revision notes (http://www.mattsrevision.com/chemistry-in-action/), I don't know I just find it more useful :biggrin: It sticks more because when I try and remember it again, I just think of the order I put the info in on the table!
Reply 50
Original post by Paulineuh
I found it helpful creating a table like the one in Matt's revision notes (http://www.mattsrevision.com/chemistry-in-action/), I don't know I just find it more useful :biggrin: It sticks more because when I try and remember it again, I just think of the order I put the info in on the table!

Thanks for that! ! I'll have a go hope it works! :yy:
Reply 51
Original post by sofiamalik_1995
Not 100% sure if this is right...

1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p6 5s2 (orbitals with a higher energy are filled first)

Please correct me if i am wrong :smile:

also yes the 4th shell has an f orbital.... apply the formula 2(n^2)
2(n^2)= 2(4^2)= 32 electrons in the 4th shell
1 4s orbital + 1 4p orbital + 1 4d orbital + 1 4f orbital= 32 atomic orbitals

So there is a 4f orbital? This goes against what everyone else said... :s-smilie:
Reply 52
Original post by sofiamalik_1995

Original post by gooner1886

No F orbitals yet.
We dont need to know about f orbitals in unit 1 chemistry :tongue:

According to the mark scheme, no f orbitals... :rolleyes:
Reply 53
I'm taking this exam for the first time. Because our stupid school insists we get better results if we do both units in the summer Urgh! :angry:

I hate periodicity the most :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly the same! And then I end up with 8 units in june so it's harder! :angry:
Reply 54
Original post by Chewy29
Has graphene appeared on the spec and if it has what the hell is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not on the spec, but I think it has come up in the past but as an application type question as it is similar to graphite

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
people,
for AS AQA do we need to know about the anomalous electron configurations of chromium and copper?

I just had a read through the old text book and it does mention it there but im not sure if its on specification or if aqa will decide to be nasty and throw it in the exam?

The text book says :
Copper and chromium electron configurations do not follow the pattern and are anomalous:

- Chromium is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s1 3d5
NOT 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d4

- copper is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s1 3d10
NOT 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d9

The explanation of this which i didnt fully understand according to ye olde text book is:
The reason for these anomoules is that both cases the outer sub levels are either full or half full and the structures shown are of lower energy and represent more stable arrangements..

has ANYONE seen this come up in a past paper?
Reply 56
Original post by a.jiwa
people,
for AS AQA do we need to know about the anomalous electron configurations of chromium and copper?

I just had a read through the old text book and it does mention it there but im not sure if its on specification or if aqa will decide to be nasty and throw it in the exam?

The text book says :
Copper and chromium electron configurations do not follow the pattern and are anomalous:

- Chromium is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s1 3d5
NOT 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d4

- copper is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s1 3d10
NOT 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d9

The explanation of this which i didnt fully understand according to ye olde text book is:
The reason for these anomoules is that both cases the outer sub levels are either full or half full and the structures shown are of lower energy and represent more stable arrangements..

has ANYONE seen this come up in a past paper?

I personally haven't seen it on a past paper and I've done nearly all from 2002 and 2006-2013 :s-smilie: I've just been looking at the spec and it doesn't show anything about knowing the copper and chromium specifically :smile: Hopefully AQA won't throw that in tomorrow's exam :frown: The explanation doesn't really make sense to me lol
Reply 57
please can someone explain this to me, i think i'm having a blonde moment ?!
i was doing a past paper and i cannot work out this 1 mark question hahah :

Norgessaltpeter was the first nitrogen fertiliser to be manufactured in Norway.
It has the formula Ca(NO3)2
Norgessaltpeter can be made by the reaction of calcium carbonate with
dilute nitric acid as shown by the following equation.

CaCO3(s) + 2HNO3(aq) Ca(NO3)2(aq) + CO2(g) + H2O(I)

In an experiment, an excess of powdered calcium carbonate was added to 36.2 cm3
of 0.586 mol dm–3 nitric acid.

Calculate the amount, in moles, of HNO3 in 36.2 cm3 of 0.586 mol dm–3 nitric acid.
Give your answer to 3 significant figures.
Reply 58
Original post by Paulineuh
I personally haven't seen it on a past paper and I've done nearly all from 2002 and 2006-2013 :s-smilie: I've just been looking at the spec and it doesn't show anything about knowing the copper and chromium specifically :smile: Hopefully AQA won't throw that in tomorrow's exam :frown: The explanation doesn't really make sense to me lol

Yeahhh i dont remember seeing it anywhere and hopefully they dont thorw it in! i think ill probably have memorized the explanation just to be safe however if they ask me to apply it i have no idea what the explanation actually means either :confused:

aaah well, im doing the shapes now and its working well thanks to your earlier suggestion, best of luck for tomorrow and thanks for your help!
Can anybody explain the effect surface area has on the boiling points of hydrocarbons?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending