The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry, unit 1

Is anyone doing the re-sit next thursday? I am and the topics I really hate is periodicity I hate the trends and I remember the january paper asked about the SECOND ionisation energy like who even learns about the 2nd one.... And probably organic chemistry :/

Btw, can someone explain the "shielding" effect please? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Shielding effect - the ionisation enthalpy will be lower if there are more electrons. The attraction between the protons in the nucleus and the outer shell electrons will be less (as there are electrons in the way!).

Can't help with the rest, as I do OCR B (Salters)
Reply 2
Got this on Thursday. I need an A. Got a D the last time :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by SharminaSyeda
Is anyone doing the re-sit next thursday? I am and the topics I really hate is periodicity I hate the trends and I remember the january paper asked about the SECOND ionisation energy like who even learns about the 2nd one.... And probably organic chemistry :/

Are you on AqA I take it? If so as am I and I shall be doing the resit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am also resitting this exam.
I am predicted a B since I achieved an A at GCSE but, I got an E in the Chem 1 January paper!
It's not because I didn't put in any effort/revise or whatever cause I in fact spent most of my time on chemistry out of all of my subjects. I'm just obviously not very good at it haha!
I'm hoping to get at least a C in the retake but, I don't think it's likely since AQA keep being really horrible and putting in questions that even chemistry teachers struggle to answer!
However I am dropping chemistry at the end of this school year so, it isn't my priority anymore!
Good luck to everyone sitting the retake and the Chem 2 paper later on :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Dingo749
Are you on AqA I take it? If so as am I and I shall be doing the resit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup AQA :smile:
I'm taking this exam for the first time. Because our stupid school insists we get better results if we do both units in the summer Urgh! :angry:

I hate periodicity the most :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by x-Sophie-x

Is Periodicity all that stuff about Ionisation Energies and Electron Shells etc.
Original post by Dingo749
Is Periodicity all that stuff about Ionisation Energies and Electron Shells etc.

Yep unfortunately so :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I have created revision notes for this exam and they can be found on my website http://www.mattsrevision.com/chemistry-in-action/

Matt
The best way to revise for U1 chem is to learn markscheme answers, there are some questions which pop up every year
Original post by mattj94
I have created revision notes for this exam and they can be found on my website http://www.mattsrevision.com/chemistry-in-action/

Matt

Hi Matt,

They're really good!! :smile: do you by any chance have unit 2 notes aswell please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by lady123
Got this on Thursday. I need an A. Got a D the last time :frown:

so did i ! i was shocked as i thought i had done ok :frown: i also would like an A but i'll settle for a B
Reply 13
Original post by TheLightBulb
Hi Matt,

They're really good!! :smile: do you by any chance have unit 2 notes aswell please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!
I've not done any yet, though I will try to get them done in time for the exam.

Matt
Original post by mattj94
Thanks!
I've not done any yet, though I will try to get them done in time for the exam.

Matt

Thank you Matt !! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Tabby.1.2
so did i ! i was shocked as i thought i had done ok :frown: i also would like an A but i'll settle for a B

I was so certain I was gonna get an A too but...
I'm retaking it as well. Got a D in January even though I thought I did LOADS better. I really REALLY need an A.
Reply 17
Original post by x-Sophie-x
I'm taking this exam for the first time. Because our stupid school insists we get better results if we do both units in the summer Urgh! :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same for me, so much more pressure having both unit exams together
Reply 18
Original post by SharminaSyeda

The more shielding (due to more electron shells) = higher atomic radius = further away the outer electrons are from the nucleus (so lower attraction between e- and nucleus) = the lower the IE

I'm re-sitting this exam too, I got an E in the January paper, I was surprised seeing as I really love periodicity questions and all however, I do think the equations are my weak spot :frown:

Does anybody know how many decimal places they want the answers to? *sucks at Maths*

Original post by mattj94

Matt

These are really helpful! Hopefully you can put up Unit 2 ones too! :biggrin: Thank you Matt! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Paulineuh
The more shielding (due to more electron shells) = higher atomic radius = further away the outer electrons are from the nucleus (so lower attraction between e- and nucleus) = the lower the IE

I'm re-sitting this exam too, I got an E in the January paper, I was surprised seeing as I really love periodicity questions and all however, I do think the equations are my weak spot :frown:

Does anybody know how many decimal places they want the answers to? *sucks at Maths*

These are really helpful! Hopefully you can put up Unit 2 ones too! :biggrin: Thank you Matt! :smile:

Re. decimal places - they usually tell you how many they want e.g. when calculating RAM they say "answer to 1 decimal place"

For the moles questions I would say its a safe bet to give your answers to 3 significant figures. They have penalised less than 3 in the past :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending