The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by This Excellency
Not really. As they explained before, most of the revenue on this site comes from advertising. Only a tiny bit comes from subs.

Interesting :beard: Most of their revenue comes from ads, but subs don't see ads. Therefore if they lowered sub fees, then more people would become subs and far fewer people would see adverts and thus would result in a loss in add revenue? So it would be in TSR's interest to increase the price of sub so less people are subs and therefore more people will be viewing the adverts? :holmes:

That is my analysis :pierre:

Original post by ranbow99
I never watched pokemon :getmecoat:)

Neither did I :mmm: :five:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SecretDuck
I have a feeling
they'll change their plans midway then. Otherwise
it will only be mods and ex mods who will have
the subs.

Haha. I can imagine the shout box without subs :rofl:
Original post by The Epicurean
Interesting :beard: Most of their revenue comes from ads, but subs don't see ads. Therefore if they lowered sub fees, then more people would become subs and far fewer people would see adverts and thus would result in a loss in add revenue? So it would be in TSR's interest to increase the price of sub so less people are subs and therefore more people will be viewing the adverts? :holmes:

Neither did I :mmm: :five:

They did say that they want to increase sub revenue as well. And don't they have sponsored features which subs can also see? :holmes:
Original post by This Excellency
Haha. I can imagine the shout box without subs :rofl:

It will just be the Modbox then :rofl:
They did say that they want to increase sub revenue as well. And don't they have sponsored features which subs can also see? :holmes:

Gawd >_< You do economics don't you? You need to teach the TSR owners about price elasticity :mmm: If they want to increase sub revenue, then surely a decrease in price or greater sub benefits would be the ay to draw in more subs and thus increase sub revenue :yep:

I can't remember seeing any sponsor features...but then again, even as a non-sub, I can't see adverts due to my ad-blocker :smug:
Gawd >_< You do economics don't you? You need to teach the TSR owners about price elasticity :mmm: If they want to increase sub revenue, then surely a decrease in price or greater sub benefits would be the ay to draw in more subs and thus increase sub revenue :yep:

I can't remember seeing any sponsor features...but then again, even as a non-sub, I can't see adverts due to my ad-blocker :smug:

I would pay 6.99 a month if they included coloured usertitles and smileys in usertitles, among other things.
But nooooo, mods only! :facepalm:
I would pay 6.99 a month if they included coloured usertitles and smileys in usertitles, among other things.
But nooooo, mods only! :facepalm:

A forum I used to be in before TSR, they used to have their own forum currency. With the currency you could buy things like usertitle changes, change username, change username colour and other similar additional features. But it also had some really cool features although they were expensive. Like you could change someone elses avy, or change someone elses usertitle which were both funny things to do :mmm: I'm pretty sure people would sub for features like that :lol:
I never watched pokemon :getmecoat:

At least you'll have money for your holiday :h: Where are you going?

I'm ok thanks :smile:

Nor did I, I played it on gameboy colour though... Best. Game. Ever. :tongue:

true dat, but I already do :mmm: flying to Poland and then travelling across into Germany and flying back from Berlin :smile:

good :smile: You got any exams atm?
A forum I used to be in before TSR, they used to have their own forum currency. With the currency you could buy things like usertitle changes, change username, change username colour and other similar additional features. But it also had some really cool features although they were expensive. Like you could change someone elses avy, or change someone elses usertitle which were both funny things to do :mmm: I'm pretty sure people would sub for features like that :lol:

Facepunch? :holmes:
Facepunch? :holmes:

Never heard of it :erm:
Never heard of it :erm:

I made an account there but never posted. It's pretty **** though. :tongue:
Arghhhh :crazy:

Went out 10 mins ago to buy some fast food, had the cash in my hand ready to pay but the guy forgot to take it. I thought he would take it at the end but when I got my food, he was serving the next customer. Because he didn't take the money at the beginning, I forgot to pay and just before I stepped out, I realised and gave him the money.

The smile on his face was priceless :rofl: he would have been in a ****hole if I was a bad boy and left :mmm:

It's a decent analysis except that although overall revenue from ads is greater than sub fees, the money they get from 1 sub is greater than the proportion of money they get from the 1 user seeing ads.

Everyone on here increases ad revenue but only subs increase sub revenue...
^is male

Come on guys, describe!!!!!
Original post by Stevo F
Nor did I, I played it on gameboy colour though... Best. Game. Ever. :tongue:

true dat, but I already do :mmm: flying to Poland and then travelling across into Germany and flying back from Berlin :smile:

good :smile: You got any exams atm?

I never had a gameboy either :emo:

Sounds good :h: Berlin is a cool city :bigsmile:

Yeah, currently procrastinating :ninja:
(edited 10 years ago)
^didn't have a gameboy??! :shock: :zomg: you poor, poor child :console:

Really looking forward to it :bigsmile:

just talking to me boosts your IQ :smug: I'm sure you'll do fine in your exam :h: :hugs:
Describe ppl :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
^Is telling people to describe when he she's not doing it herself :mmm:
^ Yeah, I was playing with polly pockets instead :mmm:

Hope you have a good time :h:

Haha that would be amazing :mmm: Thanks :hugs:

^^ Is going to be banned if he doesn't describe? :lolwut:
I never had a
gameboy either :emo:

:noo:

Are you kidding me? I still have my gameboy adavnce SP with pokemon fire red. I can give it to you if you want? :cookie: