The Student Room Group

English Language B AQA Unit 1

Helloooo,

The 2013 Exam is next Friday morning (24th May);

I was wondering whether anyone can briefly and clearly explain what's included in A01, A02 and A03 - the mark scheme confuses me! :confused:

I know part A involves A01, A02 and A03
and part B involves just A02 and A03

So yeah, brief notes on what you need to do to achieve the marks in the three bands: A01, A02 and A03, would be very much appreciated!

Hannah :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by HannahBanana1995
Helloooo,

The 2013 Exam is next Friday morning (24th May);

I was wondering whether anyone can briefly and clearly explain what's included in A01, A02 and A03 - the mark scheme confuses me! :confused:

I know part A involves A01, A02 and A03
and part B involves just A02 and A03

So yeah, brief notes on what you need to do to achieve the marks in the three bands: A01, A02 and A03, would be very much appreciated!

Hannah :smile:

Hey
So basically I've just written this up
For categorising texts, your right.. it includes AO 1 AO2 and AO3
AO1: Is the use of language methods including terminology, linguistic features and clarity/systematic. This AO is out of 16 marks
AO2: Is the range of discussion and choice of grouping and how well your texts fits.. Also out o 16 marks
AO3= Contextual awearness, so context features that manipulate the language used.

Section b - Power/tech/gender have different AO's
AO1= Concepts and issues relating to the topic. This is out of 16 marks
AO2= Contextual awearness again.. However this is out of 32 marks.

I suggest for categorising texts you 1) Make a point, using terminology 2) Elaborate on that point using concepts such as register or reasons why its in that grouping and 3) explain the context of that text.
If you do that throughout the essay for every point you make.. you will be fine
Original post by Selina17
Hey
So basically I've just written this up
For categorising texts, your right.. it includes AO 1 AO2 and AO3
AO1: Is the use of language methods including terminology, linguistic features and clarity/systematic. This AO is out of 16 marks
AO2: Is the range of discussion and choice of grouping and how well your texts fits.. Also out o 16 marks
AO3= Contextual awearness, so context features that manipulate the language used.

Section b - Power/tech/gender have different AO's
AO1= Concepts and issues relating to the topic. This is out of 16 marks
AO2= Contextual awearness again.. However this is out of 32 marks.

I suggest for categorising texts you 1) Make a point, using terminology 2) Elaborate on that point using concepts such as register or reasons why its in that grouping and 3) explain the context of that text.
If you do that throughout the essay for every point you make.. you will be fine

Thankyou!! :smile:
Reply 3
for the language and social contexts bit you wont need any A01 and your not marked on it. but remember theories for it
any tips for the friday morning exam? *stressed*
Original post by bm96
for the language and social contexts bit you wont need any A01 and your not marked on it. but remember theories for it
any tips for the friday morning exam? *stressed*

To prepare I'm going to look at all the past papers and their sources, and think of essay structures for each one.
What are you going to do?
Are the questions the same in every exam?

x
Reply 5
Can someone help me with grouping texts, I always get really confused?

When grouping texts, can you just be like.. (For example) Texts A & B are both representations of speech.
But then when I pick out a feature, I always feel like I have to say "this shows it is a representation of speech because...

Do I not have to do that or can I just pick out the features? If anyone understands what I mean, I can't phrase it very well :-(
So nervous for this exam. I got a B in it last year, if I get an A this time though, I'll have an A* overall! Such pressure :tongue: really not confident with Section B. Not particularly confident with section A either though to be fair. Minimal exam practice done so far to be fair.. I think a few section As and only one section B :redface: been revising theory loads but it's not helping me approach transcripts at all :confused: I am praying for a representations text on gender, not a transcript, but it's looking unlikely because it's been representations for ages now.

Original post by chellls
Can someone help me with grouping texts, I always get really confused?

When grouping texts, can you just be like.. (For example) Texts A & B are both representations of speech.
But then when I pick out a feature, I always feel like I have to say "this shows it is a representation of speech because...

Do I not have to do that or can I just pick out the features? If anyone understands what I mean, I can't phrase it very well :-(

No you don't have to do that :smile: just pick out the features, but try to keep them linked to the topic of the group. I can find an example of an essay that might help you if you want?
Reply 7
Original post by when she was 22
So nervous for this exam. I got a B in it last year, if I get an A this time though, I'll have an A* overall! Such pressure :tongue: really not confident with Section B. Not particularly confident with section A either though to be fair. Minimal exam practice done so far to be fair.. I think a few section As and only one section B :redface: been revising theory loads but it's not helping me approach transcripts at all :confused: I am praying for a representations text on gender, not a transcript, but it's looking unlikely because it's been representations for ages now.

No you don't have to do that :smile: just pick out the features, but try to keep them linked to the topic of the group. I can find an example of an essay that might help you if you want?

Oh okay good! Yeah that would be great! I might look on that marked by teachers or whatever.

Is transcripts just the conversations? I quite like these best and I don't like representations haha!
Original post by chellls
Oh okay good! Yeah that would be great! I might look on that marked by teachers or whatever.

Is transcripts just the conversations? I quite like these best and I don't like representations haha!

What are representations?!?!

i like power :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by HannahBanana1995
What are representations?!?!

i like power :smile:

I find some of the power things really difficult! Apparently most people prefer power over gender though :smile: Representations of speech are when you get like a transcript of speech that comes from like a TV script etc :smile:
Original post by chellls
I find some of the power things really difficult! Apparently most people prefer power over gender though :smile: Representations of speech are when you get like a transcript of speech that comes from like a TV script etc :smile:

Hahaaa, it probably helps that I did my coursework around power and political speeches!

Ah thank you! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by when she was 22

Can you use grammar as a grouping? I really want to but don't know how too..
Reply 12
Can you use grammar as a grouping? I really want to but don't know how too..

I wouldn't pre plan your groups! Sometimes they're just not relevant :smile:
I did this exam last year. Got full UMS, despite (or because of) being drugged up to the eyeballs on flu medication. Got some tips, if you want 'em

For Text Grouping (the bane of my life)
Avoid grouping by framework. Don't just say "Texts A, D and G all use semantics in x way". Rather, make frameworks the basis of your analysis for each group you make, saying how it affects/influences/pertains to your chosen grouping
Try and use each text at least once (and indeed, talk about some more than once. Just don't repeat yourself), and avoid if you can having groups of one.
Talk about graphology only when you have nothing else to talk about, unless it's absolutely crucial.
I can't remember all the groups I did for the exam, but some good ones are: Use of non-standard English (useful if you have a transcript; I did this group with some speech, a Robert Burns poem, and a graphic novel); by purpose; by audience. Possibly another is 'dual-role', though you might find this overlapping with purpose.
AO3, if I remember correctly, is context, and this is really important. Talk about context of production (who made it, why) and context of reception (where will it be seen, by whom, how etc)

For language and power
Fairclough rocks everything. Synthetic personalisation will normally be apparent. His 'Shared Resources' (essentially a posh pragmatics, stuff the reader and text both know to create an intimacy) might also be.
Modality is good to talk about, both strength and types. Deontic modality expresses duty or obligation (you should save the rainforest); epistemic modality expresses probability (it will happen/it could happen). Talk about how strong the modal verbs are; stronger verbs, more forceful text. Weaker verbs, more subtle and persuasive
Sentence types: strong declaratives to assert, strong imperatives to command
High pronoun frequency, particularly second person (ie, Fairclough again). If they use a case study (eg, Bob is homeless) expect many references to the name itself.
Emotive language
Try and be systematic. Some tell you to work through the text top to bottom. I preferred doing a paragraph on a theme, working my way through the text and drawing connections. When the theme is exhausted, next paragraph.

Sorry there isn't any more. It's been a year and I remember very little about the exam due to aforementioned drugging up.
Best of luck
Hello, im doing this exam tomorrow. Could anyone tell me exactly how the paper is layed out or give me an example? I know pretty much what the sections involve but i havent yet seen a paper so am unsure of how its going to be layed out.
Reply 15
Original post by sophiealyssa
Hello, im doing this exam tomorrow. Could anyone tell me exactly how the paper is layed out or give me an example? I know pretty much what the sections involve but i havent yet seen a paper so am unsure of how its going to be layed out.

all the unit 01's :smile:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/a-level/english-language-b-2705/past-papers-and-mark-schemes
Reply 16
Original post by Grauniad
I did this exam last year. Got full UMS, despite (or because of) being drugged up to the eyeballs on flu medication. Got some tips, if you want 'em

For Text Grouping (the bane of my life)
Avoid grouping by framework. Don't just say "Texts A, D and G all use semantics in x way". Rather, make frameworks the basis of your analysis for each group you make, saying how it affects/influences/pertains to your chosen grouping
Try and use each text at least once (and indeed, talk about some more than once. Just don't repeat yourself), and avoid if you can having groups of one.
Talk about graphology only when you have nothing else to talk about, unless it's absolutely crucial.
I can't remember all the groups I did for the exam, but some good ones are: Use of non-standard English (useful if you have a transcript; I did this group with some speech, a Robert Burns poem, and a graphic novel); by purpose; by audience. Possibly another is 'dual-role', though you might find this overlapping with purpose.
AO3, if I remember correctly, is context, and this is really important. Talk about context of production (who made it, why) and context of reception (where will it be seen, by whom, how etc)

For language and power
Fairclough rocks everything. Synthetic personalisation will normally be apparent. His 'Shared Resources' (essentially a posh pragmatics, stuff the reader and text both know to create an intimacy) might also be.
Modality is good to talk about, both strength and types. Deontic modality expresses duty or obligation (you should save the rainforest); epistemic modality expresses probability (it will happen/it could happen). Talk about how strong the modal verbs are; stronger verbs, more forceful text. Weaker verbs, more subtle and persuasive
Sentence types: strong declaratives to assert, strong imperatives to command
High pronoun frequency, particularly second person (ie, Fairclough again). If they use a case study (eg, Bob is homeless) expect many references to the name itself.
Emotive language
Try and be systematic. Some tell you to work through the text top to bottom. I preferred doing a paragraph on a theme, working my way through the text and drawing connections. When the theme is exhausted, next paragraph.

Sorry there isn't any more. It's been a year and I remember very little about the exam due to aforementioned drugging up.
Best of luck

Wow thank you for this! Quick question, what are some examples of non-standard english? (just incase I use it and then end up writing about the wrong thing!)
Reply 17
Hi does anyone have any ideas on what will come up for language and gender tomorrow? For example a transcript or extract etc? I hope it's a transcript, if not I may cry!haha
Reply 18
Original post by Sm96
Hi does anyone have any ideas on what will come up for language and gender tomorrow? For example a transcript or extract etc? I hope it's a transcript, if not I may cry!haha

Im going to do gender tomorrow aswell.. i think
its bad of me but i only started revising gender yesterday as i was sure i was going to do power,. but then i thought its harder to get a high grade in power becuase it is the most popular choice, sho that your competing with more students around the UK.
Anyone have predictions of gender? I reaallly want an extract and not a speech
Btw.. how are you revising gendeR?
Im revising theories and theorists and key words, along with annotating past questions. I have noticed that the last 2 exam papers have used extracts and the 3 years before that was a speech so its really difficult to predict.
Reply 19
Im going to do gender tomorrow aswell.. i think
its bad of me but i only started revising gender yesterday as i was sure i was going to do power,. but then i thought its harder to get a high grade in power becuase it is the most popular choice, sho that your competing with more students around the UK.
Anyone have predictions of gender? I reaallly want an extract and not a speech
Btw.. how are you revising gendeR?
Im revising theories and theorists and key words, along with annotating past questions. I have noticed that the last 2 exam papers have used extracts and the 3 years before that was a speech so its really difficult to predict.

Yeah that's why I've chosen to do language an gender too! And I'm revising by doing theories and annotating past questions too so at least we're not alone haha but that's basically all I'm going to do tonight except from planning my structures of the answers.. Ah right that does make it hard to predict then :/ hope it's a good question whatever it is though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending