The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature Unit 2B Theory - Thursday 23rd May

Anyone else doing this exam tomorrow? I couldn't find a thread for this exam so I thought I'd make one.

The play I studied was Blood Brothers and the novel was A Christmas Carol.

Just in case anyone wants a help for the Blood Brothers (play) essay questions...

- Imagine you are... : when I practiced this is I added quotations that the character actually said e.g. for Mrs Lyons you might say 'witch' when talking about Mrs Johnstone.

- Give advice to the actor/actress playing the role of...: I didn't actually practice one of these (I've already decided if this or the imagine you are comes up I'm just going to do the second questions option - hopefully both aren't the imagine you are/give advice). But our teacher gave us an example of an A* answer.
In this the person wrote for an actor playing Mickey: 'Mickey should be portrayed as a vibrant character who lacks an interest in education and is in love with Linda. Later on he should be portrayed as a character who feels inadequate and emasculated as he is unable to fend for himself let alone Linda.' That was their opening paragraph. After that they used quotations to like he should be 'shocked' by the offer of sweets because he lives in a harsh world were people do not share...

- Why is ... important to the play as a whole? (Might be a theme or character)

Last year for Blood Brothers the essay questions were:

i) Imagine you are Linda. Some time after the events of the play you think back over your relationships with Mickey and Edward. Write down your thoughts and feelings. Remember how Linda would speak when you write your answer.

OR

ii) At the end of the play, the Narrator suggests that superstition could be one of the causes of the tragic deaths of Mickey and Edward. To what extent do you agree?

The themes that you should probably know about for Blood Brothers are:
- Guns and violence
- Superstition
- Love and friendship
- Debt to be paid
- Use of songs (not really a theme but you get the picture)
- Class
- Dreams

For A Christmas Carol the themes you should probably know are:
- Unfair Society
- Sadness, loss and loneliness
- Regret
- Greed
- Love
- Generosity of spirit and charity

For all the themes I've mentioned I've got notes so if anybody needs them - just ask!

I know people are doing different plays and novels but whatever you're doing as long as you read the books again before the exam as well as the annotated notes, you should be fine.

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do the ACC and BB as well, I would graciously appreciate the notes!

Here's my favourite quotes from ACC and BB:

"he carried his own low temperature always about with him" - I just have so much to write about that quotation
"who'd tell the lambs in spring what fate the future seasons would bring?" - the Narrator! A lot to comment on: pathetic fallacy + link to fate, rhetorical question, emotive imagery, dramatic irony... brilliant stuff
Reply 2
Original post by jjpneed
I do the ACC and BB as well, I would graciously appreciate the notes!

Here's my favourite quotes from ACC and BB:

"he carried his own low temperature always about with him" - I just have so much to write about that quotation
"who'd tell the lambs in spring what fate the future seasons would bring?" - the Narrator! A lot to comment on: pathetic fallacy + link to fate, rhetorical question, emotive imagery, dramatic irony... brilliant stuff

Of course - which ones? It's because I wrote down the notes in a mindmap.

I took absolutely ages making the notes. The only way I can learn all the notes is by doing a gazillion mindmaps with a million quotations. How are you learning your notes?
Reply 3
Original post by blue.racoon59
Of course - which ones? It's because I wrote down the notes in a mindmap.

I took absolutely ages making the notes. The only way I can learn all the notes is by doing a gazillion mindmaps with a million quotations. How are you learning your notes?

I wrote them all down on an A4 sheet or two, and read it every night before bed haha. It worked for me last year, and for RE.

Alternatively, I plan essay questions on themes or characters. Applying the knowledge seems to help me remember them, with the added bonus of a planned question possibly coming up in the exam.

Do you have any notes for generosity of spirit? That would be great

EDIT: Of course, if you had any questions, I would be much obliged
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm doing Lord of the Flies and A View from the Bridge and i'm not feeling very confident about them, anyone else doing one or both of them and willing to just go over the key themes and things to revise for?
Reply 5
Original post by jjpneed
I wrote them all down on an A4 sheet or two, and read it every night before bed haha. It worked for me last year, and for RE.

Alternatively, I plan essay questions on themes or characters. Applying the knowledge seems to help me remember them, with the added bonus of a planned question possibly coming up in the exam.

Do you have any notes for generosity of spirit? That would be great

EDIT: Of course, if you had any questions, I would be much obliged

Okay generosity of spirit and charity was mixed in mine so sorry if there's things you don't think are relevant. Here's what I've got:

Stave 1 - "No beggars implored him to bestow a trifle" - It's well known S was not charitable
- "the clerk's fire was so very much smaller that it looked like one coal" - S doesn't replenish his/Bob's fire
- donation collectors, he refused because he thinks that he has done his part by supporting "prisons", "Union workhouses"
he thinks that because he's done the minimum, that's enough
-calls them "idle" because if they worked they wouldn't need charity
too greedy to be charitable (makes excuses to not help more)
- Fred says Christmas is the only time "when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely"
C.D's generosity involves more than just giving of money - it requires goodwill + compassion
- v. reluctant to give Bob leave
- Marley warns S he's not paying enough attention to fellow man "Mankind was my business
M learned too late + other ghosts who didn't help put now want to "cried piteously at being unable to assist a wretched woman"

Stave 2 - reflects on own years as miserable, lonely youth - regrets not being more charitable to young caroler
- remembers the charity + kindness with which Fezziwig approached his neighbors and employees - most cherished aspect of personality
- made life easier
- "The happiness he gives, is quite as great as if it cost a fortune"
- doesn't do this for Bob

Stave 3 - G of Christmas Present with cornucopia- like torch - generosity personified
- F believes if he wishes S a M.C every year it will inspire S to be more giving "If it only puts him in the vein to leave his poor clerk fifty pounds"

Stave 4 - Despite stinginess of uncle, F is generous + giving - although he is poor he will do what he can to lend aid where needed - "If I can be of any service to you in any way"
- S promises G of Christmas YTC that he has learned - "I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year
- will make part of everyday life
- importance of Christmas spirit, charity + kindness of season

Stave 5 - buys largest turkey + sends to Cs without revealing origin
- pays young boy to tell poulterer to bring the turkey
- paying for a cab to take turkey to C home (ALL above never before exhibited such charity)
- donation collectors: promises to donate a great sum to noble cause "A great many back - payments are included in it"
- Bob C - "I'll raise you salary, and endeavor to assist your struggling family" - Tiny T didn't die, became a second father to T.T

Charity presented in the carol philosophy - "to think of people below them as fellow passengers to the grave"

Okay that's all my notes. I made them after looking at an A* example of essay by teacher so I trust the notes. If you don't understand anything just quote me and ask.

What questions? As in past paper Q for ACC and BB?
Reply 6
Original post by benny1152
I'm doing Lord of the Flies and A View from the Bridge and i'm not feeling very confident about them, anyone else doing one or both of them and willing to just go over the key themes and things to revise for?

Unfortunately I can't but maybe speak on this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2359603

The person on there is also studying Lord of the Flies.
Unfortunately I can't but maybe speak on this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2359603

The person on there is also studying Lord of the Flies.

Alright thank you! It's so annoying that we're doing WJEC, can't we do AQA like most of the other people on TSR :frown:
Reply 8
Okay generosity of spirit and charity was mixed in mine so sorry if there's things you don't think are relevant. Here's what I've got:

Stave 1 - "No beggars implored him to bestow a trifle" - It's well known S was not charitable
- "the clerk's fire was so very much smaller that it looked like one coal" - S doesn't replenish his/Bob's fire
- donation collectors, he refused because he thinks that he has done his part by supporting "prisons", "Union workhouses"
he thinks that because he's done the minimum, that's enough
-calls them "idle" because if they worked they wouldn't need charity
too greedy to be charitable (makes excuses to not help more)
- Fred says Christmas is the only time "when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely"
C.D's generosity involves more than just giving of money - it requires goodwill + compassion
- v. reluctant to give Bob leave
- Marley warns S he's not paying enough attention to fellow man "Mankind was my business
M learned too late + other ghosts who didn't help put now want to "cried piteously at being unable to assist a wretched woman"

Stave 2 - reflects on own years as miserable, lonely youth - regrets not being more charitable to young caroler
- remembers the charity + kindness with which Fezziwig approached his neighbors and employees - most cherished aspect of personality
- made life easier
- "The happiness he gives, is quite as great as if it cost a fortune"
- doesn't do this for Bob

Stave 3 - G of Christmas Present with cornucopia- like torch - generosity personified
- F believes if he wishes S a M.C every year it will inspire S to be more giving "If it only puts him in the vein to leave his poor clerk fifty pounds"

Stave 4 - Despite stinginess of uncle, F is generous + giving - although he is poor he will do what he can to lend aid where needed - "If I can be of any service to you in any way"
- S promises G of Christmas YTC that he has learned - "I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year
- will make part of everyday life
- importance of Christmas spirit, charity + kindness of season

Stave 5 - buys largest turkey + sends to Cs without revealing origin
- pays young boy to tell poulterer to bring the turkey
- paying for a cab to take turkey to C home (ALL above never before exhibited such charity)
- donation collectors: promises to donate a great sum to noble cause "A great many back - payments are included in it"
- Bob C - "I'll raise you salary, and endeavor to assist your struggling family" - Tiny T didn't die, became a second father to T.T

Charity presented in the carol philosophy - "to think of people below them as fellow passengers to the grave"

Okay that's all my notes. I made them after looking at an A* example of essay by teacher so I trust the notes. If you don't understand anything just quote me and ask.

What questions? As in past paper Q for ACC and BB?

Wow that's great, thanks. And by questions, I meant more in the sense of pooling ideas... aka if you want me to give you my interpretation of themes/characters etc.
Reply 9
Alright thank you! It's so annoying that we're doing WJEC, can't we do AQA like most of the other people on TSR :frown:

Is AQA easier? I'm sorta okay with WJEC. But boy am I glad I'm finishing the WJEC english lang exam this year! After changing it for two years so that we do the narrative and descriptive writings in a controlled assessment not in the actual exam, they've changed it back! Probably didn't like how many more people found it easier to do the stories in their classroom and with notes. - - Evil WJEC.
Reply 10
Original post by jjpneed
Wow that's great, thanks. And by questions, I meant more in the sense of pooling ideas... aka if you want me to give you my interpretation of themes/characters etc.

Welcome and yes please. By the time I made a mindmap for BB Love and Friendship I was so tried so I just couldn't be bothered doing it extensively like the others. Therefore, I haven't got great notes on that would you please help me with that? Thanks. :smile:
Reply 11
Welcome and yes please. By the time I made a mindmap for BB Love and Friendship I was so tried so I just couldn't be bothered doing it extensively like the others. Therefore, I haven't got great notes on that would you please help me with that? Thanks. :smile:

I haven't really done this theme either! To be honest, I didn't really consider it a theme? The only themes that have ever come up in the past 10 years or so of the WJEC paper are superstition and class.
Is AQA easier? I'm sorta okay with WJEC. But boy am I glad I'm finishing the WJEC english lang exam this year! After changing it for two years so that we do the narrative and descriptive writings in a controlled assessment not in the actual exam, they've changed it back! Probably didn't like how many more people found it easier to do the stories in their classroom and with notes. - - Evil WJEC.

Well with AQA they get copies of the books for the exams and also because there are many more people doing AQA english there is less TSR support for WJEC. It's not the difficulty itself per se, i'm fine with that
Reply 13
Original post by jjpneed
I haven't really done this theme either! To be honest, I didn't really consider it a theme? The only themes that have ever come up in the past 10 years or so of the WJEC paper are superstition and class.

Wow - I didn't even notice that. Unless you count songs as a theme that is true. Hmm..well then I'm still going to learn all my notes on themes - otherwise it makes all the time I spent on doing these mindmaps seem like a waste of time and at least I can gather info from the themes if I needed to beef up a essay.

Which questions have come up for ACC so far? I know transformation came up for sure. It's just that I've lost my sheet which says which ones came up.
Thanks
Reply 14
Well with AQA they get copies of the books for the exams and also because there are many more people doing AQA english there is less TSR support for WJEC. It's not the difficulty itself per se, i'm fine with that

It would definitely mean less time memorizing quotations! Anyways good luck for tomorrow. :wink:
Reply 15
Wow - I didn't even notice that. Unless you count songs as a theme that is true. Hmm..well then I'm still going to learn all my notes on themes - otherwise it makes all the time I spent on doing these mindmaps seem like a waste of time and at least I can gather info from the themes if I needed to beef up a essay.

Which questions have come up for ACC so far? I know transformation came up for sure. It's just that I've lost my sheet which says which ones came up.
Thanks

Yeah, all the themes you mentioned interlink in some way or another, so it's certainly not a waste of time.

And for ACC: 2012 paper (only one that has been formally sat): Importance of Bob Cratchit to the novel, and which of the three spirits had the greatest impact on Scrooge.

For the specimen paper (I would surmise it is a resource to be used as a mock, nevertheless, I would assume that the questions on this won't come up on the formal exam tomorrow): how does Dickens present the hardships of life in 19th century London, and how does Dickens present the changing character of Scrooge.

Aka, no themes have explicitly appeared, so I'm revising them :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by jjpneed
Yeah, all the themes you mentioned interlink in some way or another, so it's certainly not a waste of time.

And for ACC: 2012 paper (only one that has been formally sat): Importance of Bob Cratchit to the novel, and which of the three spirits had the greatest impact on Scrooge.

For the specimen paper (I would surmise it is a resource to be used as a mock, nevertheless, I would assume that the questions on this won't come up on the formal exam tomorrow): how does Dickens present the hardships of life in 19th century London, and how does Dickens present the changing character of Scrooge.

Aka, no themes have explicitly appeared, so I'm revising them :smile:

Thanks - I think I'll go and revise for a while - after all the exam is tomorrow. Good luck and I guess we'll moan/celebrate about the questions tomorrow. :wink:
It would definitely mean less time memorizing quotations! Anyways good luck for tomorrow. :wink:

Thank you I'll need it, I REALLY need that A! Good luck to you too you too my friend :smile:
Reply 18
Thanks - I think I'll go and revise for a while - after all the exam is tomorrow. Good luck and I guess we'll moan/celebrate about the questions tomorrow. :wink:

Haha indeed... quite nervous, best of luck
Reply 19
Anyone else doing this exam tomorrow? I couldn't find a thread for this exam so I thought I'd make one.

The play I studied was Blood Brothers and the novel was A Christmas Carol.

Just in case anyone wants a help for the Blood Brothers (play) essay questions...

- Imagine you are... : when I practiced this is I added quotations that the character actually said e.g. for Mrs Lyons you might say 'witch' when talking about Mrs Johnstone.

- Give advice to the actor/actress playing the role of...: I didn't actually practice one of these (I've already decided if this or the imagine you are comes up I'm just going to do the second questions option - hopefully both aren't the imagine you are/give advice). But our teacher gave us an example of an A* answer.
In this the person wrote for an actor playing Mickey: 'Mickey should be portrayed as a vibrant character who lacks an interest in education and is in love with Linda. Later on he should be portrayed as a character who feels inadequate and emasculated as he is unable to fend for himself let alone Linda.' That was their opening paragraph. After that they used quotations to like he should be 'shocked' by the offer of sweets because he lives in a harsh world were people do not share...

- Why is ... important to the play as a whole? (Might be a theme or character)

Last year for Blood Brothers the essay questions were:

i) Imagine you are Linda. Some time after the events of the play you think back over your relationships with Mickey and Edward. Write down your thoughts and feelings. Remember how Linda would speak when you write your answer.

OR

ii) At the end of the play, the Narrator suggests that superstition could be one of the causes of the tragic deaths of Mickey and Edward. To what extent do you agree?

The themes that you should probably know about for Blood Brothers are:
- Guns and violence
- Superstition
- Love and friendship
- Debt to be paid
- Use of songs (not really a theme but you get the picture)
- Class
- Dreams

For A Christmas Carol the themes you should probably know are:
- Unfair Society
- Sadness, loss and loneliness
- Regret
- Greed
- Love
- Generosity of spirit and charity

For all the themes I've mentioned I've got notes so if anybody needs them - just ask!

I know people are doing different plays and novels but whatever you're doing as long as you read the books again before the exam as well as the annotated notes, you should be fine.

Good luck!

Blood brothers notes/quotes?!?

Quick Reply

Latest