The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olympiad
No, the exam board have said poems which are only for the foundation tier. Look at the OP

Posted from TSR Mobile

what's the OP
Original post by ryanb97
my 1st post : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42718490#post42718490

thanks.. i think i will need it :biggrin:

:biggrin:

how do you think you did in unit 1 ... on monday?

ryan

Unit 1 went okay I guess..
I was happy with Eric coming up in AIC and Slim coming up in OMAM
Wbu?
Does anyone know any comparisons that can be made between 'To His Coy Mistress' and 'Ghazal' from the relationships cluster?

I know they are both about the desperate need for fulfillment and possession of the other person
Any similarities and differences?

Thanks
do you think ghazal will come up?
Anybody got good points to compare sonnet 116 & sonnet 43?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2425
Original post by shu003
FOR ALL THOSE DOING THE RELATIONSHIPS CLUSTER:

The four poems that haven't yet come up are Sonnet 116, Ghazal, Born Yesterday and Coy Mistress. I believe the most likely ones to come up are going to be Sonnet 116 and Born Yesterday. When comparing the poetry you need to cross reference between the two poems. I would recommend using the "peals" technique

P: Point
E: Evidence
A: Analyse
L: Link to SMILE
S: switch

So basically every other paragraph you alternate poems. Do 3 similarities and 3 differences for the 2 poems and use PEALS on each paragraph to answer. So in a paragraph you would state a point (eg: Sonnet 116 uses the theme of time to express love blah blah) use evidence by stating a short quote, analyse it(state what effect it has on the reader and basically how it makes the poetry work) Link to either structure, meaning etc (so "this is further supported by the structure of the poem") and switch by going on to the next paragraph and writing about a similarity or difference (similarly Coy Mistress also utilizes the theme of time to express desire.) Do 5 minutes planning for section A and then 6 minutes on each paragraph.

Links I would suggest would be Sonnet 116 and Hour, Coy Mistress and either Ghazak or In Paris With You, Born Yesterday and Nettles or Hour and Ghazal and Coy Mistress. I worked this out from a combination of my teacher, finding techniques on YouTube and doing some maths and common sense/looking at potential links myself haha. As far as unseen goes just read the poem twice and then analyse the structure, meaning, imagery, language and effect on the reader

Good luck everyone!

Thank you so much.:smile:
Original post by junaid97
For the relationship cluster you only have to study Ghazal, Sonnet 116 (which I think will surely come up), To His Coy Mistress and Born Yesterday. I suggest you also study other poems to compare with these

Are you certain these are the poems
Likely to come up ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
what poems do you think will come up for character and voice
What do you believe the chances are of 'My Last Duchess' coming up in the Character and Voice section of the exam? It has already appeared twice (I believe, from memory). Does that indicate that there is a good chance of it coming up again since they must like to use this poem, or that it probably won't come up this year?
Original post by RichardPG
What do you believe the chances are of 'My Last Duchess' coming up in the Character and Voice section of the exam? It has already appeared twice (I believe, from memory). Does that indicate that there is a good chance of it coming up again since they must like to use this poem, or that it probably won't come up this year?

Really hope it doesn't come up, I hate it.. If you understand the structure, theme or have any ideas of relevance to this poem, please help!!:-(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VickyHendry
Really hope it doesn't come up, I hate it.. If you understand the structure, theme or have any ideas of relevance to this poem, please help!!:-(

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I could help, but I posted that comment because i'm in the same situation as you :tongue: not a clue what any of it is on about. We'll just have to hope it doesn't make an appearance tomorrow... or that if it does the other question is a lot easier!!
Reply 2431
Original post by elliec_
I'm doing Moon on the tides, Character and voice
Does anyone have any tips on how to do notes on these poems that won't take up like a side of A4

Also, can someone please give me ANY tips on unseen poetry
My class has had an absolute nightmare with teachers and we've only had half a lesson on it
anything will be appreciated!!

CHARACTER & VOICE: Just write a few words for each: Theme, Language devices, structure and form. And which poem it links to within the section (E.g. Singh Song and Checking Out Me History: They explore the same themes).

UNSEEN POETRY:
First of all you read the poem, probably twice. Then, look at the whole poem and think: "what is the poem about?". This is the small picture. Is there a plot? Is it like a story? If so, then what is that story? If not, then look at the language used? Perhaps consider who it's aimed at.

Then, think about the BIG picture. What is the poem ACTUALLY about? How does it relate to society? COMMON THEMES: Pride, Women, Economic Depression, Prejudice & Racism, Isolation, Loss and Death. There are loads more.

Then look at language devices, structural devices and form. Is it a sonnet (suggests love)? Is it a dramatic monologue? How has space been used (indents used?)?

Then, analyse the language as normal.

In the write up: Refer to all of your ideas and link them together.

N.B. You have 30 minutes on the unseen poetry section. That is about 5 minutes to plan (Yes, all of the above!), and 25 minutes to write.

Hope that helped! Feel free to reply with comments or PM me.

:smile:
Reply 2432
I wish I could help, but I posted that comment because i'm in the same situation as you :tongue: not a clue what any of it is on about. We'll just have to hope it doesn't make an appearance tomorrow... or that if it does the other question is a lot easier!!

These have not come up for AGES! They are likely.

Les Grands Seigneurs -
The River God -
Casehistory: Alison -
On a potrait of a deaf man -
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ryan075
These have not come up for AGES! They are likely.

Les Grands Seigneurs -
The River God -
Casehistory: Alison -
On a potrait of a death man -

Lets hope so, I would be very happy indeed if LGS or River God came up tomorrow. :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
I've only revised sonnet 116 and sonnet 43, I'm going to cry if they don't appear

Posted from TSR Mobile

the structure of my last duchess has no individual stanzas, this could be representative of his everlasting power, he begins talking about 'his' last duchess which shows that he is indeed very possessive and is evident in other parts of the poem , towards the end of the poem he changes subject and talks about a different piece of art, this is ambiguous, it could mean that he enjoys having a collection of art as he controls the amount of power he has over it and how much money and power he has because he can afford and own such art, however it could just him showing that the painting and discussion of his last duchess is a distraction and shows how insignificant he is and how much he lacks emotion as we believe he killed her.
Through out the poem he tries to use chatty language, again this is ambiguous as it could be him trying to show the visitor that he tried and acted his best around her and was very nice to her and may want the visitors sympathy, or it could be him trying to make the visitor feel uneasy by him being chatty and casual about something as serious as death shows that he has so much power that he can literally do anything and get away with it and that something such as killing someone does not even show just how much power he has. If you want anymore help with character and voice poems i am more than ready to help :smile:
Reply 2436
guys if you dont understand the structure and stuff use bite size. but these videos really helped me.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FiEDx5thG8 it gives a modern translation for use who dont understand the language it also analysis all the poems .
Original post by unique_freak
the structure of my last duchess has no individual stanzas, this could be representative of his everlasting power, he begins talking about 'his' last duchess which shows that he is indeed very possessive and is evident in other parts of the poem , towards the end of the poem he changes subject and talks about a different piece of art, this is ambiguous, it could mean that he enjoys having a collection of art as he controls the amount of power he has over it and how much money and power he has because he can afford and own such art, however it could just him showing that the painting and discussion of his last duchess is a distraction and shows how insignificant he is and how much he lacks emotion as we believe he killed her.
Through out the poem he tries to use chatty language, again this is ambiguous as it could be him trying to show the visitor that he tried and acted his best around her and was very nice to her and may want the visitors sympathy, or it could be him trying to make the visitor feel uneasy by him being chatty and casual about something as serious as death shows that he has so much power that he can literally do anything and get away with it and that something such as killing someone does not even show just how much power he has. If you want anymore help with character and voice poems i am more than ready to help :smile:

Thank you!! +rep :smile:
Reply 2438
Let's hope so, I would be very happy indeed if LGS or River God came up tomorrow. :biggrin:

Yeah they would be alright actually tbh.

Just a bit of revision here:

LGS is about treatment of women and status [Links to The Last Duchess]

River God is about Arrogance, being shunned by society and having an omnipotent rule, as in a dictatorship [Links to Ozymandias]

Agreed?
Original post by Olympiad
Anybody got good points to compare sonnet 116 & sonnet 43?

Posted from TSR Mobile

in both poems love is presented as infinite and eternal 'until the edge of doom' and 'after death'
sonnet 116 conveys how love is constant and doesn't 'alter when it alteration finds' the repitition shows the ongoing and constancy. sonnet 43 explores the spiritual side as it includes religious imagery and childhood faith
•sonnet 43 uses juxtoposition of caesura and enjambment to ; caesura(pauses, dashes) , she is philosophical with her words as she collects her thought ( pensive) and enjambment is the outburst of her emotions because she can't contain her feelings, she overflows with the use of words almost as if she is breaking free.
Furthermore anaphora is a rhetorical device used in the bible .. It's makes the poem sound as if its a prayer 'I love thee' and you could back this up with the religious imagery..
•. Sonnet 116 'true minds' grow old together .. If love supersedes the physical aspect it won't bend to 'sickles compass' ...the rhyming couplet and indentation at the end signifies Shakespeare attitude to this poem is confident with what he has written .. As he questions the reader of any errors than he has never wrote and no man has ever loved this indicates he is certain to what he is saying

Hope this has helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending