The Student Room Group

Higher Geography

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by katys1996
If anyone is looking for a good revision site I've been using this one for my Biosphere soils (I've also used Nessie162's notes to, so thank you)
https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/er/HigherGeographyMCHS/
I haven't checked out the other topics but I think its quite useful for what I've seen so far. It's also the only place I've found material for RBM too.

Thats my schools page haha.

And I'm struggling badly. I'm crashing geography this year and did badly in the prelim as i didn't study for it. I'm stuggling to study it. I've been trying to write out answers then learn them but it isnt working.
Reply 41
Original post by hendycfc
Thats my schools page haha.

And I'm struggling badly. I'm crashing geography this year and did badly in the prelim as i didn't study for it. I'm stuggling to study it. I've been trying to write out answers then learn them but it isnt working.

Is it! What are the odds haha
Writing out answers sometimes doesn't work for me either, I a few suggestions as to different revision techniques that work for me.
I have flashcards for things like RBM (all the different benefits and problems of water management) or for Malaria (all the different ways to eradicate and the effectiveness of that method).
I use flashcards mostly for essay writing, so any long answers I'd use flashcards. (So the 50 mark paper 2 question)

You could try highlighting the keywords out of an answer as well, so for something like the formation of a river highlight words like "Pools" "Riffles" "Hydraulic Action" "Attrition" ect. make sure you remember the keywords and then the answer should somehow come back to you as you're rewriting it.

Another suggestion, It probably only works for RBM but for anyone else who's doing it, I don't know if my teacher came up with this or everyone knows it but a way to remember the Benefits and Problems of RBM is:
FRAPSWIM
Flood Control
Recreation
Agriculture
Power
Sediment Control
Wildlife
Industries
Municipal Water Supply

And for the problems:
WWWEGS
Water Waste
Water Loss
Water Politics
Environmental damage
Groundwater Loss
Salinity

Hope these suggestions help someone!
Reply 42
Am hoping its gonna be a good paper:redface:
Reply 43
Original post by katys1996
Is it! What are the odds haha
Writing out answers sometimes doesn't work for me either, I a few suggestions as to different revision techniques that work for me.
I have flashcards for things like RBM (all the different benefits and problems of water management) or for Malaria (all the different ways to eradicate and the effectiveness of that method).
I use flashcards mostly for essay writing, so any long answers I'd use flashcards. (So the 50 mark paper 2 question)

You could try highlighting the keywords out of an answer as well, so for something like the formation of a river highlight words like "Pools" "Riffles" "Hydraulic Action" "Attrition" ect. make sure you remember the keywords and then the answer should somehow come back to you as you're rewriting it.

Another suggestion, It probably only works for RBM but for anyone else who's doing it, I don't know if my teacher came up with this or everyone knows it but a way to remember the Benefits and Problems of RBM is:
FRAPSWIM
Flood Control
Recreation
Agriculture
Power
Sediment Control
Wildlife
Industries
Municipal Water Supply

And for the problems:
WWWEGS
Water Waste
Water Loss
Water Politics
Environmental damage
Groundwater Loss
Salinity

Hope these suggestions help someone!

Thanks a lot. Yeah, I like the bit with RBM! :tongue:
Reply 44
We use SWIMFRAP too, I've also tried to make my own for other topics but they dont work very well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by humza100
We use SWIMFRAP too, I've also tried to make my own for other topics but they dont work very well

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've only done it for RBM but for Soils I use:
What, Where, Weather (climate), Ao, A, B, C
Reply 46
Anybody got the last 30 marks worth of a model answer for Rural Land Resources for the Yorkshire Dales?
Reply 47
For Development and Health, for the differences between countries I use

Climate
Population
Politics
Entrepreneurial spirit
Disasters
Colonies
Resources
Education
Strategic location
Tourism

I have a named example for all and it's usually only 10 or 12 marks so I usually get full marks as you just have one thing per country because I use different countries for each example :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by CSM1996
For Development and Health, for the differences between countries I use

Climate
Population
Politics
Entrepreneurial spirit
Disasters
Colonies
Resources
Education
Strategic location
Tourism

I have a named example for all and it's usually only 10 or 12 marks so I usually get full marks as you just have one thing per country because I use different countries for each example :smile:

Ooo that does look useful! I wonder if theres a way to somehow incorporate that into the answer I usually write :tongue:
Reply 49
Does anyone have an efficient way of learning the soil diagrams?
Reply 50
Original post by ChrissyH
Does anyone have an efficient way of learning the soil diagrams?

I just redraw them again and again - simple versions, detailed versions. just find what suits you.
Earlier on some soil profile diagrams were posted.
Reply 51
Geography and chemistry revision begins tomorrow :frown: :frown: So behind and it is like a week until the exam woopsies :lol:
done no geography revision yet, better start, too busy concentrating on chemistry :tongue:
Was just wondering, does anyone have any notes on the formations of deltas, estuaries and levee's? My teacher hasn't given us notes on them, so stressing a little! Any help would be appreciated!:smile:
Reply 54
Original post by strawberrylove
Was just wondering, does anyone have any notes on the formations of deltas, estuaries and levee's? My teacher hasn't given us notes on them, so stressing a little! Any help would be appreciated!:smile:

I don't have any notes on them either but it is unlikely that they will ask you specifically for one of them! They will probably say "Describe the formation of a lower course feature... then give you options like an ox-bow lake, delta :smile:
Original post by CSM1996
I don't have any notes on them either but it is unlikely that they will ask you specifically for one of them! They will probably say "Describe the formation of a lower course feature... then give you options like an ox-bow lake, delta :smile:

Ah right okay! Yeah I get you now, how are you feeling about geography? There's soooo much content!:/ I still 3 subjects left to revise for so annoying:frown:
Reply 56
Ah right okay! Yeah I get you now, how are you feeling about geography? There's soooo much content!:/ I still 3 subjects left to revise for so annoying:frown:

Eh although I haven't revised, pretty confident. Paper 2 is basically the same questions every year (hopefully the SQA keep it like that) and Paper 1 I can bs my way through it. I got 95% in the prelim, so if it all goes pear-shaped, I can hopefully try get an appeal :~) how are you feeling?? And tell me about it, I have chemistry the day after which I am totally unprepared for :frown:
Original post by CSM1996
Eh although I haven't revised, pretty confident. Paper 2 is basically the same questions every year (hopefully the SQA keep it like that) and Paper 1 I can bs my way through it. I got 95% in the prelim, so if it all goes pear-shaped, I can hopefully try get an appeal :~) how are you feeling?? And tell me about it, I have chemistry the day after which I am totally unprepared for :frown:

I'm trying to revise but I feel so unmotivated after my biology exam:/ yeah paper 2 is great such easy marks! Our school is doing rural land resources and development and health. Wow amazing mark, well done! I got an A in the prelim so I hope I can get an appeal if I need one. I think I'm gonna need an appeal as I'm so unprepared and there's just too much content in geography! :frown:
Also if anyone wants to message me, my teacher always predicts the questions that come up.. She's been spot on for the last 7 years so if you want to know just message me:smile: just a suggestion ahah :smile:
Reply 59
Also if anyone wants to message me, my teacher always predicts the questions that come up.. She's been spot on for the last 7 years so if you want to know just message me:smile: just a suggestion ahah :smile:

or you could just post it here ;D Imma message you anyways as any predictions are good enough for me! haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending