The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Search geog 3 2013
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jade10128
Thanks, very useful!
And I agree with your comment on tectonics essay; not many predictions so far!

No worries :smile: Yeah I'm not entirely certain but based on previous papers, it's likely to be on volcanic events rather than seismic which cropped up in Jan 13's paper. However again I cannot be adamant on that :P
Original post by HenryLinguistic
No worries :smile: Yeah I'm not entirely certain but based on previous papers, it's likely to be on volcanic events rather than seismic which cropped up in Jan 13's paper. However again I cannot be adamant on that :P

You got, or heard, any predications on ecosystems 25 mark questions (7,8 and 10)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 463
Original post by HenryLinguistic

Yeah same, I doubt seismicitity will come up alone. Reckon it'll either be relating volcanicity/plate theory.
There is limited things they can ask us for tectonics - yet they word the questions so awkwardly sometimes its difficult to understand what they are actually asking for. Damn AQA.
Reply 464
When they say relate to seismic events, That's just mean earthquakes and not volcanoes? Cause volcanoes are referred to as vulcanicty?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 465
'Planetary surface winds' guys, what do they mean by that? is that the anabatic/katatbatic winds thing or whatever?

EDIT: actually do they mean westerlies, trade winds and polar easterlies?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 466
sorry another question, 'atmospheric pressure and the upper atmosphere circulation', what do they mean by that? does that just come under the tri-cellular model etc
Reply 467
Original post by Gary
When they say relate to seismic events, That's just mean earthquakes and not volcanoes? Cause volcanoes are referred to as vulcanicty?

Posted from TSR Mobile

pretty sure seismic events just means earthquakes
Reply 468
Original post by Gary

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seismic events = earthquakes, tsunamis
so yep
Reply 469
Original post by JenniS
sorry another question, 'atmospheric pressure and the upper atmosphere circulation', what do they mean by that? does that just come under the tri-cellular model etc

the general atmospheric circulation is represented by the tricellular model consisting of hadley, ferrel and polar cells etc
not sure what 'upper atmosphere circulation' is?
from what I understand the tricellular model is the atmospheric system generalised/simplified
But its more complex than that, which is the planetary surface winds
This is a simplified version of them: http://content.answcdn.com/main/content/img/McGrawHill/boating/f0154-01.png
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 470
Original post by Jade10128
the general atmospheric circulation is represented by the tricellular model consisting of hadley, ferrel and polar cells etc
not sure what 'upper atmosphere circulation' is?

do you know about rossby waves?
Reply 471
Original post by JenniS
do you know about rossby waves?

waves that occur in the westerlies in mid latitudes?
But they can occur in both northern and southern hemispheres can't they?
Perhaps we should wait for a pro to enter the forum lol! Weather confuses me alot, sorry I can't be of more help.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi guys, just found this thread. It might have been touched upon, but have any predictions been made with regard to the Plate Tectonics, World Cities and Contemporary Conflicts& Challenges questions? And the 40 mark essays for Cities & Challenges?
Original post by sheldorofazaroth
You got, or heard, any predications on ecosystems 25 mark questions (7,8 and 10)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tropical Equatorial Rainforest Biome questions seem to be fairly frequent within recent specimens, do I'd expect that to come up.. but haven't looked fully into ecosystems yet so not entirely sure
Original post by jacktomos95
Hi, you have got a bit confused. think of it of being the opposite so in the summer it brings warm wet weather and in the winter it brings cool dry weather.

The dry season is the winter not the summer as the sun pulls the ITCZ to the north towards the Tropic of Cancer and visa versa.

And regarding wind when the ITCZ is over the land wind is blow in from sea which brings warm air as it travels across and when the band is over the ocean it brings cool air as it travels over land because of the differences of insulation warming of land to sea.

Hope this helps a bit more :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well now I feel like an idiot -.- I would have probably gotten the reasons right if I had written 'warm and wet' andstead of warm and dry.. I kept looking back at it to make sure it made sense.... :frown: But thanks :smile:
Reply 475
hey, slightly new to this! but dose anyone have any tips for writing the 40 marks essay?! I'm not a A*/A student, hoping to get a C really! I've only done one 40 marker as my teaches refuse to mark them :/ and I got 18/40 :frown: any help would be appreciated on learning all the context?! struggling majorly! don't know how I did it at AS
Reply 476
Original post by mols0756
hey, slightly new to this! but dose anyone have any tips for writing the 40 marks essay?! I'm not a A*/A student, hoping to get a C really! I've only done one 40 marker as my teaches refuse to mark them :/ and I got 18/40 :frown: any help would be appreciated on learning all the context?! struggling majorly! don't know how I did it at AS

scroll about 3/4 of the way down this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1912173&page=5 and someones uploaded a 40marker writing guide, hope it helps
Reply 477
Original post by JenniS
scroll about 3/4 of the way down this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1912173&page=5 and someones uploaded a 40marker writing guide, hope it helps

thankyou! :smile:
Reply 478
Original post by V95
oh ok, i went to it too haha, yeah there are waaaay too many! which topics are you doing? :smile:

heyyy :smile:

Regarding the conference, did David Redfurn say or hint out which questions are likely to come up ??
Reply 479
Original post by mols0756

how did you do at AS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending