The Student Room Group

Cambridge or Birmingham for medicine?

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice...

I am in year 13 and doing the IB. I applied to Cambridge for medicine last October, but was rejected without interview. This would have been because I did not have a high enough predicted score (39) and I did not do well enough on the BMAT exam. However, I did get an offer at Birmingham for medicine. Unfortunately, I became ill just before this May exam session and have decided to postpone all of my exams for November 2013 and take a gap year.

My problem is that I really do want to study at Cambridge, mainly because of the traditional course. I am a very independent learner and I feel that I would be suited to the traditional course more. I also like the idea of a thorough science-based course, the tutorials and supervisions and the third year research opportunities. I would like to decline my offer from Birmingham and reapply to Cambridge this year, with 42+ predicted grades.I would still reapply to Birmingham and this time next year, I could make a choice about which is best for me.

I feel that now I have had experience of applying for medicine, I would be a much stronger candidate this time round.I would also have another chance at the BMAT, which I'm sure that I will do well in this time. I could also get a job as a healthcare assistant and generally boost my application.

Does anyone have any advice? I know it seems crazy to throw away an offer from a very good university, but I feel that it would also be wrong to not give myself another chance of getting into Cambridge, when I have wanted to go there for so long!

Any advice? Thank you in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by Amsterdam11
Hello

I am in year 13 and doing the IB. I applied to Cambridge for medicine last October, but was rejected without interview. This would have been because I did not have a high enough predicted score (39) and I did not do well enough on the BMAT exam. However, I did get an offer at Birmingham for medicine. Unfortunately, I became ill just before this May exam session and have decided to postpone all of my exams for November 2013 and take a gap year.

My problem is that I really do want to study at Cambridge, mainly because of the traditional course. I am a very independent learner and I feel that I would be suited to the traditional course more. I also like the idea of a thorough science-based course, the tutorials and supervisions and the third year research opportunities. I would like to decline my offer from Birmingham and reapply to Cambridge this year, with 42+ predicted grades.I would still reapply to Birmingham and this time next year, I could make a choice about which is best for me.

I feel that now I have had experience of applying for medicine, I would be a much stronger candidate this time round.I would also have another chance at the BMAT, which I'm sure that I will do well in this time. I could also get a job as a healthcare assistant and generally boost my application.

Does anyone have any advice? I know it seems crazy to throw away an offer from a very good university, but I feel that it would also be wrong to not give myself another chance of getting into Cambridge, when I have wanted to go there for so long!

Have you asked Birmingham if they would consider you after you'd declined their offer? I think you should probably ring up and ask about that because otherwise you wouldn't have a chance there. As well as this ask Cambridge whether they accept reapplicants they have already rejected once as some universities do not.

If Cambridge say they will consider you and your heart is set on it then go for it, no point in spending 5 years at Birmingham wishing you were somewhere else!
Reply 2
Thank you for the advice Lizzi232 :smile: does anyone else have any thoughts?
I'm pretty sure Birmingham don't consider re-applicants. I will link you to a source for that if I find it.

But if you really want to go to Cambridge definitely reapply for it. I'm sure they will consider you, but you better check with them.

(I prefer traditional teaching as well)

Just be certain your academics are top notch compared to everyone else, and nail that BMAT! Especially section 2. And you need to be prepared to do a lot of extra study for the very academic interview you will get. They could ask you nearly anything.

Anyway, I wish you all the best.

Ps. check with Birmingham whether your offer for next year's application cycle must be accepted this year. Could you not decide to accept it next year after the decision from Cambridge comes out?
I would try and stick to the offer that you've got personally, its your decision though
Reply 5
Birmingham don't accept reapplicants.

I think it very much boils down to whether you want to attend Cambridge or want to do medicine, because there is no guarantees you'll even reach interview at Cambridge, let alone an offer. Cambridge is a fantastic place to study and i completely understand why you want to go there but integrated courses such as Birmingham offer just as much scope for independent learning and in-depth science research. Putting aside university biases, i think it would be silly to reject a medical offer for a university when there's no guarantees you'll get another again.
Reply 6
Original post by gozatron
i think it would be silly to reject a medical offer for a university when there's no guarantees you'll get another again.

Ultimately it all boils down to this, which is spot on.

(I've never studied at Cambridge or B'ham so I'm being entirely neutral here).
Reply 7
'Repeat medicine application - We will not consider anyone whose application to Birmingham medical school has been rejected previously following interview. Otherwise, we will consider those applying for medicine for a second time. This fact is often not apparent until interview but, even at this stage, an applicant must provide good evidence that their application is stronger. '

From the bham website. You can reapply, but there is no guarentee you'll get another offer. Even if you make it to interview at Cambridge, whos to say you will do well and get an offer? Oxbridge have a unique and competitive interview process.
Reply 8
As everyone's said , you'd be kicking yourself if you re-applied and didn't get in anywhere next year - it may not happen, but it could. You have a Medicine offer which is hard enough as it is, regardless of the university you will still graduate as a doctor - to reject one just to try for a specific one next year is risky as hell and I don't think anyone would recommend it...
Reply 9
Original post by Amsterdam11
Hello

If you think you'll have a very strong almost unrefusable application next year then decline Birmingham. I'm a more traditional learning person myself, i don't like CBL much from the cases we've had at my uni.

But if you decline Birmingham don't reapply there next year. If you were accepted and you apply again they would be crazy to offer you again when its quite clear they aren't your first choice.
Reply 10
Birmingham may be more integrated than Cambridge, and certainly the courses are different, but I'd still describe Bham as "traditional", eg: 2 years preclinical heavy basic sciences +++exams, then clinical years. There are many strong options for intercalation with research opportunties at Bham.

It is certainly not a PBL school (there is a tiny amount) and is more traditionally academic than many medical schools, certainly in the first 2 years.

Also - if you are taking a gap year (and therefore have a deferred Bham place surely?), is it not possible to accept your deferred offer at Birmingham, and still apply to Cambridge this year?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Pigling
Birmingham may be more integrated than Cambridge, and certainly the courses are different, but I'd still describe Bham as "traditional", eg: 2 years preclinical heavy basic sciences +++exams, then clinical years. There are many strong options for intercalation with research opportunties at Bham.

It is certainly not a PBL school (there is a tiny amount) and is more traditionally academic than many medical schools, certainly in the first 2 years.

Also - if you are taking a gap year (and therefore have a deferred Bham place surely?), is it not possible to accept your deferred offer at Birmingham, and still apply to Cambridge this year?

Nope.
Reply 12
Original post by Ronove
Nope.

Why? You cannot apply through UCAS whilst already holding accepted offer(s), and cannot have more than one UCAS account?

(I believe you, I'm just curious).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Pigling
Why? You cannot apply through UCAS whilst already holding accepted offer(s), and cannot have more than one UCAS account?

(I believe you, I'm just curious).

A deferred offer you hold is still there as your active UCAS application, and you can't have a second UCAS application unless your first one is closed.
Reply 14
I seriously think you should take your offer and go to Birmingham. Cambridge is a fantastic university but like other's have said, there's a bit of a "lottery" that goes into Oxbridge admissions. You can always pursue a masters degree or D.Phil at Cambridge after you qualify as a junior doctor. Studying at Cambridge is an amazing experience but try to see the bigger picture - at the end of the day, the medical school you graduate from has little bearing on your future. The more important thing is to do well wherever you are.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending