The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reubenkinara
Because, I think: n!=(n+1)!(n+1)!n! =\dfrac{(n+1)!}{(n+1)!}

You sure about that bro? :erm:
Reply 2061
Don't mention it. Though, undoubtedly one of the more seasoned mathematicians on here will find some discrepancy with what I've written!

mmm..seasoned...sorry I love food haha! oh wells its all good

Original post by Felix Felicis
It comes from the gamma function:

Γ(z)=(z1)!=0tz1etdt0!=Γ(1)=0etdt=[et]0=1\Gamma (z) = (z-1)! = \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\infty} t^{z-1} e^{-t} dt \Rightarrow 0! = \Gamma(1) = \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-t} dt = \left[ - e^{-t} \right]_{0}^{\infty} = 1

At least I think. Where are you L'art? :tongue:

Sorry, I failed to understand any of that LOOL, never seen them signs haha, long story short 0!=1 I shall remember that
uhm... Where are you art?.. me lost
Original post by tigerz
mmm..seasoned...sorry I love food haha! oh wells its all good

Sorry, I failed to understand any of that LOOL, never seen them signs haha, long story short 0!=1 I shall remember that

Hmmm. Try this link.
Original post by tigerz

Don't worry, it's unlikely you will have, but if you get bored, it's called the Gamma function, have a read :tongue:

And I'm referring to another TSR user - he's an amazing mathematician and in love with the beta and gamma functions. xD
It comes from the gamma function:

Γ(z)=(z1)!=0tz1etdt0!=Γ(1)=0etdt=[et]0=1\Gamma (z) = (z-1)! = \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\infty} t^{z-1} e^{-t} dt \Rightarrow 0! = \Gamma(1) = \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-t} dt = \left[ - e^{-t} \right]_{0}^{\infty} = 1

At least I think. Where are you L'art? :tongue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_product
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factorial#Definition

It seems to be defined rather than proven, and any 'proofs' I have come across have been shifty at best.

e.g. Where n!n=(n1)!\displaystyle\frac{n!}{n}=(n-1)!
Let n = 1 and 1!1=1=0!\displaystyle\frac{1!}{1}=1=0!
But the equation itself necessarily assumes that n2n\geq2 so that (n1)(n-1) can actually be a factor.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2065
Hmmm. Try this link.

Thank you :smile: I will spend my Friday night reading that haha :wink:

Don't worry, it's unlikely you will have, but if you get bored, it's called the Gamma function, have a read :tongue:

And I'm referring to another TSR user - he's an amazing mathematician and in love with the beta and gamma functions. xD

Added to the list! Oh I see :smile:

Also Joostan I redone the log question from earlier in less than 5 mins WOOP! You is a sick teacher :ta:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The Polymath
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_product
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factorial#Definition

It seems to be defined rather than proven, and any 'proofs' I have come across have been shifty at best.

e.g. Where n!n=(n1)!\displaystyle\frac{n!}{n}=(n-1)!
Let n = 1 and 1!1=1=0!\displaystyle\frac{1!}{1}=1=0!
But the equation itself necessarily assumes that n2n\geq2 so that (n1)(n-1) can actually be a factor.

True :redface: It may just be the definition :dontknow: Going by the definition of the number of ways we can arrange n objects, I suppose there's only 1 way you could arrange an empty set, hence 0! = 1? xD
True :redface: It may just be the definition :dontknow: Going by the definition of the number of ways we can arrange n objects, I suppose there's only 1 way you could arrange an empty set, hence 0! = 1? xD

That's what LotF proposed as an explanation too :yy:
Original post by joostan

She wants the D bro :sexface:

That's what LotF proposed as an explanation too :yy:

Awesome! xD
She wants the D bro :sexface:

Usually when I ask for subject help I'm trying to avoid the D. :teehee:
That's what I feel anyway comparing BMO2 and STEP I, although I haven't had much experience with STEP II/III

I'm thinking if I can qualify for the IMO, these asians can train me good which should help out with STEP as well :colone:
You sure about that bro? :erm:

Of course! Everyone knows n!=1 nn! = 1 \ \forall n

You need to brush up on your maths basics, bro :no:
Original post by justinawe
I'm thinking if I can qualify for the IMO, these asians can train me good which should help out with STEP as well :colone:

A user called Mladenov on here who's come very close to qualifying for the IMO for Bulgaria says the STEP questions are very accessible for him. :tongue: If you could qualify for IMO, you'd likely smash STEP. xD
n!=1 nn! = 1 \ \forall n

n!=1 n0!=1n! = 1 \ \forall n \therefore 0! = 1 :colone:
x
Seems legitimate.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2074
Didn't the question ask for 4 digit numbers only?

If not, apologies for my mistake :redface:

naah it said greater than 4000 with no repeats:smile:

have you done jan 13?
n!=1 n0!=1n! = 1 \ \forall n \therefore 0! = 1 :colone:Seems legitimate.

Reminds me of this joke. xD
A user called Mladenov on here who's come very close to qualifying for the IMO for Bulgaria says the STEP questions are very accessible for him. :tongue: If you could qualify for IMO, you'd likely smash STEP. xD

I'll probably need to spend a little more time on The Proof Is Trivial thread for IMO kind of stuff, I guess :holmes:

I highly doubt I'll qualify though, even if may be a little easier to do so here.
Original post by FeMn
naah it said greater than 4000 with no repeats:smile:

have you done jan 13?

Jan 13? What exactly do you mean by that?
Reminds me of this joke. xD

Sorry, but this says the opposite.
Jkn
x

Oh hi.
Reply 2079
Jan 13? What exactly do you mean by that?

the january 2013 paper aha:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending