The Student Room Group

OCR AS Sources of Law 23rd May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Maerim
You scared me there for a minute. :tongue: That's why I don't think Statutory Interpretation will come up in the exam tomorrow.

Hahaha sorry :P
I really hope it doesn't come up. I haven't revised that area as much as others, mainly because it came up in the January exam. If it does come up, I'm screwed :frown:
By the usual rotation Delegated Legislation and EU SHOULD come up, although the examiners did make an exception in 2011 where they repeated a topic twice (judicial precedent). Hopefully our predictions are right for tomorrow :confused:
Reply 62
Original post by Maerim
Acts of Parliament and probably the three types of DL with advantages/disadvantages? As for question B, I have a feeling it might be on judicial review or a specific statutory instrument. :smile:

Great minds think alike :biggrin:
Reply 63
Original post by Prayingkitty
By the usual rotation Delegated Legislation and EU SHOULD come up, although the examiners did make an exception in 2011 where they repeated a topic twice (judicial precedent). Hopefully our predictions are right for tomorrow :confused:

They may "follow the tradition" one last time, what with the changes next year. :rolleyes:
Reply 64
Original post by LosMutos
Great minds think alike :biggrin:

I have the most perfect answer for Acts of Parliament ready so it better come up. :cool: The only thing I have left to go over is the controls, don't know if I should bother. This is a retake for me, I am only retaking it so I can aim for a lower grade on my last Law exam which is so much harder. (A2 student) :frown:
Reply 65
Original post by Maerim
I have the most perfect answer for Acts of Parliament ready so it better come up. :cool: The only thing I have left to go over is the controls, don't know if I should bother. This is a retake for me, I am only retaking it so I can aim for a lower grade on my last Law exam which is so much harder. (A2 student) :frown:

I would. If part C is all about controls i) describe ii) evaluate effectiveness, then you're losing out a lot of marks if you're not prepared.
Original post by Maerim
They may "follow the tradition" one last time, what with the changes next year. :rolleyes:

You mean the cancelling of Jan exams? Man I hope they know how many people they're screwing by doing that...
Reply 67
Original post by Maerim
Acts of Parliament and probably the three types of DL with advantages/disadvantages? As for question B, I have a feeling it might be on judicial review or a specific statutory instrument. :smile:

sorry what was the judicial review ? :frown:

i havent revised for anything else, not even law reform so i hope delegated will come up
Reply 68
Original post by hoping

Judicial review is a control of delegated legislation by courts.
Reply 69
Original post by oluus
Judicial review is a control of delegated legislation by courts.

thank you :smile:
basically the ultra vires?
Reply 70
Original post by oluus
I would. If part C is all about controls i) describe ii) evaluate effectiveness, then you're losing out a lot of marks if you're not prepared.

Thank you. :smile: I do know a fair bit of it, just need going over.

Original post by Prayingkitty
You mean the cancelling of Jan exams? Man I hope they know how many people they're screwing by doing that...

Yeah, thank God I won't have to do them. I really feel for the AS students, maybe the exam will be easier though? Otherwise, why would they do it? Unless they want less students going to universities..

Original post by hoping

i havent revised for anything else, not even law reform so i hope delegated will come up

Have a look in the January 2009 question b. :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Maerim
Thank you. :smile: I do know a fair bit of it, just need going over.

Yeah, thank God I won't have to do them. I really feel for the AS students, maybe the exam will be easier though? Otherwise, why would they do it? Unless they want less students going to universities..

Have a look in the January 2009 question b. :smile:

thank you:smile:
Reply 72
Original post by Maerim

Haha me too. As well I have a perfect answer for describe the different types. As long as it comes up, I should have a possible 30 marks in the bag. I'm retaking this exam too because I know I can do better. Goodluck with your exams dude :smile:

And of course you should bother! :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by hoping
thank you :smile:
basically the ultra vires?

Yes :smile: if this comes up in part B of the question, then it should be pretty simple. You just have to know the difference between substantive and procedural ultra vires and link it back to the case they give you.

BTW - does anyone know what are the grade boundaries for this exam? Like how many raw marks do I need to get a B
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by LosMutos
Haha me too. As well I have a perfect answer for describe the different types. As long as it comes up, I should have a possible 30 marks in the bag. I'm retaking this exam too because I know I can do better. Goodluck with your exams dude :smile:

And of course you should bother! :tongue:

Good luck to you too dudette :smile:. I really hope we are right about what is likely to come up. :smile:
Reply 75
Original post by oluus
Yes :smile: if this comes up in part B of the question, then it should be pretty simple. You just have to know the difference between substantive and procedural ultra vires and link it back to the case they give you.

BTW - does anyone know what are the grade boundaries for this exam? Like how many raw marks do I need to get a B

From January 2013, you need 46 raw marks for a B (56 UMS).
Reply 76
Original post by oluus

sorry to be a pain, but what is the difference ? :/

basically, i went on the ocr website to look at the grade boundaries. i was a mark of an b! i think it was 56 or something in jan to get an B, something on those lines anyway:smile:
Reply 77
Original post by hoping
sorry to be a pain, but what is the difference ? :/

basically, i went on the ocr website to look at the grade boundaries. i was a mark of an b! i think it was 56 or something in jan to get an B, something on those lines anyway:smile:

Procedural ultra vires: where the body or individual making the decisions has failed to follow some procedure or requirement laid down in legislation.

Substantive ultra vires: where the body or individual making the decision has used the authorised powers in an unauthorised way.

Substantive ultra vires for unreasonableness: where the body or individual making the decision makes a decision which no reasonable body or individual in the same situation would do.
Reply 78
Good luck tomorrow everyone, report back when you finish. :smile:
Reply 79
Good Luck to everyone tomorrow!!! Fingers crossed Delegated Legislation comes up... Really need to up my grade for this exam

Quick Reply

Latest