The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Feeling just so not safe.. had a rough few days, and I'm so confused over what's all happened..and where to go from here really :s-smilie:... it's just so much going on... and I can't handle it.. I have absolutely no control over my life anymore and that scares me... it really does :cry2:
Original post by Mouse Potato
I'd heard this as well, so I'm suspicious. She's been amazing up till now but it's making me a bit concerned. She did say that if I still have problems on the lower dose I could maybe switch to trazodone, but I don't know if that's going to be any better...

Now I've really scared myself by reading loads of webpages about weight gain. I hate this. :frown: :frown: :frown:

I've taken trazodone and didn't notice any increase in hunger or, consequently, weight on it. It's sometimes given to help insomnia so it can be quite sedating.

Original post by superwolf
Thought you might be of some help: how long did it take for the mirtazapine hunger side-effect to wear off for you? Seem to remember it made you hungrier but you were still able to manage your weight on it.

It took a very long time, maybe a year or possibly more?

I did put some weight on with it, though nowhere near as much as some other drugs. It plateaued after a bit rather than continuing to increase, which was good.
Reply 1222
gah... another night of not being able to sleep :frown: I'm such a failure, drowsy as anything from meds but still can't sleep.

Had been feeling so much better today, and then in the evening and night I let myself get really down again. If I can't cope atm with no stress, how on earth am I going to cope when I go back to work :frown:

Original post by -FireFlies-
Feeling just so not safe.. had a rough few days, and I'm so confused over what's all happened..and where to go from here really :s-smilie:... it's just so much going on... and I can't handle it.. I have absolutely no control over my life anymore and that scares me... it really does :cry2:
Hope your feeling a little better now :penguinhug:. It will all turn out okay in the end.

Potentially ED Triggering....

Spoiler

Spoiler

Nightmares. :afraid:
Hopefully asdfgah's post helped clear things up a bit, but I'd definitely still do your own research if you do consider switching drugs or changing dosage. At the end of the day it's your call and it's best to be as informed as you reasonably can be. My personal experience means that I'd be reluctant to switch from or mess with something that was working for me, but that's without factoring in how much of an effect the weight gain is having on you.

That's the problem, I think it works pretty well. I think I'm going to keep taking it for a few weeks and do the Weight Watchers thing and see if there's any change. I can use that time to research and try to make an informed decision.

Original post by Deyesy
If it helps at all with the talk of Mirtazapine...I'm on it. I'm on the 30mg dose and haven't notice any weight gain whatsoever.

How long have you been on it, if you don't mind me asking? I've been on 15mg for about 3 months and I've put on about 26 lbs which is absolutely ridiculous.

Original post by rmhumphries
From my (limited) science knowledge you are correct. Some medications work in a similar way (blocking different receptors at different levels), but not all of them do.

Thanks for this! :smile: The whole thing makes a lot more sense now.

Original post by PonchoKid

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Sabertooth
I've taken trazodone and didn't notice any increase in hunger or, consequently, weight on it. It's sometimes given to help insomnia so it can be quite sedating.

It took a very long time, maybe a year or possibly more?

I did put some weight on with it, though nowhere near as much as some other drugs. It plateaued after a bit rather than continuing to increase, which was good.

I've been told that trazodone shouldn't make me put on weight. Did you find it effective as an AD?

They wanted me to be on it for at least 2 years, maybe more, so it's nice to know that the effects wear off a bit eventually.

I'm so worried that mine won't plateau and will just keep going up and up... I've put on loads already. I usually struggle to put on weight so this is really weird.

Original post by bleary

Potentially ED Triggering....

Spoiler

Thanks! This actually makes a lot of sense!!

Spoiler

:frown: Hope you feel better soon!! Is there anything you can do to take your mind off them? :hugs:
Reply 1225
Wow, your psychiatrist goes into a hell of a lot more detail than any of mines ever did! :tongue:

He's a good guy, appreciates that I like scientific geekery, and I was terrified of the side effects of mirtazapine so it helped to have an explanation of exactly what was going on. (Also helps that my degree gives me a decent understanding of functional neurology, so he didn't need to go into too much detail.) I personally found it reassuring that it caused weight gain by increasing hunger rather than just be slowing metabolism, because it meant that at the end of the day I still had control over it.

Thanks, this makes it a bit easier to understand! I don't find the sedation an issue any more, I think I've more or less built up a tolerance to it now. It used to really wipe me out for the whole day but now I'm finding I can cope if I just sleep a bit in the afternoon. I guess maybe it's worth trying a reduced dose to see if it makes any difference, she seemed convinced that I'd lose weight doing that...?

Yeah, it's probably worth trying, depending on what dose you're on at the moment. If you're on 45mg and reducing to 30mg I'd say it's worth trying. If you're on 30mg and would be reducing to 15mg I'm not so sure, since I'm not even sure 15mg is ever used as a therapeutic dose? Though it sounds like you're pretty small, so maybe need a lower dose than a bigger person (assuming you're pretty slight from the fact that a size 8 is big for you, cos I'm 5ft 6 and when I'm size 8 that makes me quite underweight!).

iv just never been this bad before, but then again i dont think if been this depressed before :s-smilie:

Spoiler

Yeah. :hugs:

Spoiler

---

Got a full night's sleep for the first time in forever. Going to try hard to get a decent amount of work done today. Exams starting to loom quite scarily. :afraid:
Original post by Kindred
THAT'S BRILLIANT!! :grin:
Good luck with your other exams

thank you so much :proud:
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-22626811

What a bunch of amateurs... Didn't even suggest taking a bath...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1228
Original post by bullettheory

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haven't several people here experienced similar stuff from them? :sad: :hugs: Really is a shambles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You still having your tea before bed?
Original post by asdfgah

Yeah, it's probably worth trying, depending on what dose you're on at the moment. If you're on 45mg and reducing to 30mg I'd say it's worth trying. If you're on 30mg and would be reducing to 15mg I'm not so sure, since I'm not even sure 15mg is ever used as a therapeutic dose? Though it sounds like you're pretty small, so maybe need a lower dose than a bigger person (assuming you're pretty slight from the fact that a size 8 is big for you, cos I'm 5ft 6 and when I'm size 8 that makes me quite underweight!).

I'd be going from 15 to 7.5mg. From everything I've read, I'm not sure there's even any point in taking 7.5mg, other than to wean myself off it gradually. I think the mirtazapine was prescribed more as a buffer than anything else. I was coming off a high dose of Abilify quite quickly at the time so they wanted to make sure I didn't just crash massively if any of my psychosis came back, and I needed the sedation. I'm still taking 40mg of Citalopram and the occasional Diazepam so it's not like I'd be taking nothing.

Spoiler

---------------

My CPN is almost 30 minutes late, she's never late and now I'm stressing out and catastrophising. :frown: :frown:
i may just cry and give up

might not be able to get a drs note because the NHS people have decided i dont need to be at the drs down here anymore and if i cant get one i cant get an extension for placement, which means i cant finish my hours. no idea what to do. my Dr down here is gonna see what he can do, but they cant promise anything. im just gonna cry for now.
:frown: Hope you feel better soon!! Is there anything you can do to take your mind off them? :hugs:

I just went back to sleep, and weirdly had a dream where all the terrible stuff in the first dream got reversed, so now I feel better. :tongue:

Original post by asdfgah
He's a good guy, appreciates that I like scientific geekery, and I was terrified of the side effects of mirtazapine so it helped to have an explanation of exactly what was going on. (Also helps that my degree gives me a decent understanding of functional neurology, so he didn't need to go into too much detail.) I personally found it reassuring that it caused weight gain by increasing hunger rather than just be slowing metabolism, because it meant that at the end of the day I still had control over it.:

That's great, sounds like your psychiatrist really makes an effort to make sure you're actually engaged in your treatment. :smile: What exactly is it you study again?

Original post by bullettheory

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pfft, and what about the healing powers of going for a walk?

Original post by rmhumphries
You still having your tea before bed?

No, might have to go back to it. :yy:

No, might have to go back to it. :yy:

Aye - you should, afaik it isn't expensive, and it helped last time :hugs:
Reply 1234
Original post by Delain
Just been to the doctors. Not seen the doctor because apparently he was off sick and they called me YESTERDAY to leave a message to tell me that. Which I have no idea what they're on about because I never got any message. So yeah stayed up all ****ing day for NOTHING and sat in a doctors waiting room for half an hour trying not to have an anxiety attack, sweating like a goddamn pig. Upshot is I have to go back and do the whole rigmarole again next Wednesday. It took me a hell of a lot to get up the courage to actually go and see someone about my ****ty depression and anxiety only to have it ****ed royally up. Just my luck. -.-

Because I think my post was unintentionally overlooked yesterday.
i may just cry and give up

might not be able to get a drs note because the NHS people have decided i dont need to be at the drs down here anymore and if i cant get one i cant get an extension for placement, which means i cant finish my hours. no idea what to do. my Dr down here is gonna see what he can do, but they cant promise anything. im just gonna cry for now.

:hugs: They sound like they're being a really unfair! I hope you're doctor does manage to sort it for you. Have you got something relaxing or anything to take your mind off it?

Original post by Delain
Because I think my post was unintentionally overlooked yesterday.

That sucks, I've had cmht to that to me a couple of times and it's infuriating when you've made a real effort to turn up. Might be worth checking to see that they've got your number right, in case that's why you didn't get the message :smile:
Reply 1236
I'd be going from 15 to 7.5mg. From everything I've read, I'm not sure there's even any point in taking 7.5mg, other than to wean myself off it gradually. I think the mirtazapine was prescribed more as a buffer than anything else. I was coming off a high dose of Abilify quite quickly at the time so they wanted to make sure I didn't just crash massively if any of my psychosis came back, and I needed the sedation. I'm still taking 40mg of Citalopram and the occasional Diazepam so it's not like I'd be taking nothing.

Spoiler

---------------

My CPN is almost 30 minutes late, she's never late and now I'm stressing out and catastrophising. :frown: :frown:

Wow, that's a really low dose. I'm not sure... Everything I've read would have that down as sedating but not AD-effective. My psychiatrist said 30mg was the lowest that they generally prescribe as a therapeutic dose (I'm currently on that alongside 225mg venlafaxine. Anecdotally, I've found that I'm not that much hungrier, but I'm much more prone to binge. I think I've gained 3-5lbs in the 2 months that I've been on it). But I'm not a psychiatrist and your psychiatrist is, so probably worth listening to them I guess. :tongue:

Spoiler

That's great, sounds like your psychiatrist really makes an effort to make sure you're actually engaged in your treatment. :smile: What exactly is it you study again?

Yeah it's really good. He also let me know that the mirtazapine-venlafaxine combo is known as California Rocket Fuel, which got me more on board with it cos it sounded fun. My brother sees the same psychiatrist and he's even got him on board with the treatment he needs (hard to do!).

I was studying an arts subject (only reason not specifying because it makes me scarily identifiable) but this year I decided to take a psychology paper, which makes up half of my year's results. It approaches psychology from quite a biological/functional neuroanatomy perspective rather than treating it as a social science (both options are available at Cam and I'm doing the natural science rather than social science option). Anyway, I've really enjoyed it this year so if all goes well with exams I'm switching to do my final year in psychology with cognitive neuroscience options. :smile:
Original post by thatsthebadger93
:hugs: They sound like they're being a really unfair! I hope you're doctor does manage to sort it for you. Have you got something relaxing or anything to take your mind off it?

the receptionist was really quite helpful bless her, but i was still really gahhh at the fact she was telling me i wasnt registered, iv been told i HAVE to claim extenuating circumstances, yet theres a possibility i might not even get a drs note :s-smilie:
hopefully he can put something together, i have to phone back tomorrow in the hope that hes done it. i have my personal tutor phoning me back later because i really dont know what ill do if i dont get it.
my relaxing day consists of writing an essay for tomorrow :s-smilie: hahaha
Reply 1238
Original post by thatsthebadger93

That sucks, I've had cmht to that to me a couple of times and it's infuriating when you've made a real effort to turn up. Might be worth checking to see that they've got your number right, in case that's why you didn't get the message :smile:

They confirmed they had my landline number which was the correct one. Apparently they left it on there but when I checked there wasn't one.
ooh, queasy still but might just be hunger so cooking some chicken nuggets and waffles.

Latest