The Student Room Group

OCR AS Computing F451 - Monday 3rd June 2013

Thread for all OCR Computing F451 sitters this June, feel free to discuss how revision is going / anything to do with the exam! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

What parts of the paper do you find easiest/hardest?
Reply 2
Original post by TopStudent258
What parts of the paper do you find easiest/hardest?

I like the binary calculation questions, but the tough questions are generally all other questions haha, I find it difficult to remember what the examiner wants to see in our answers for full marks, and the fact that there are questions that are so different to on previous papers! How about you?
I've done so many past papers that I've started to remember what I've done wrong and that there are certain patterns between the January and June papers of an exam season. I find the binary questions easy also. I've found the fetch execution cycle hard to remember though.
Reply 4
I've done so many past papers that I've started to remember what I've done wrong and that there are certain patterns between the January and June papers of an exam season. I find the binary questions easy also. I've found the fetch execution cycle hard to remember though.

Have you already done all the past papers on offer from OCR? Unfortunately there aren't very many
I'd say there's enough from Jan 2009 to Jan this year!
Reply 6
I'd say there's enough from Jan 2009 to Jan this year!

Haha I suppose i'm spoilt for papers with Maths!
Reply 7
Yeh I'm finding it hard to revise this theory if you guys could help by posting any questions you see in a pattern form I'm sure that would help allot of us, thanks :smile:
Original post by sam1837
Yeh I'm finding it hard to revise this theory if you guys could help by posting any questions you see in a pattern form I'm sure that would help allot of us, thanks :smile:

Definitions are crucial as you don't wanna throw away marks. Binary questions will always come up it just depends on how they are asked. Operating systems always seem to come up and usually they ask for purposes e.g to handle communication with the use of protocols. Have a go at a few past papers because you will notice the pattern. You should definitely do two papers from the same year and you should notice a pattern with similar questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Definitions are crucial as you don't wanna throw away marks. Binary questions will always come up it just depends on how they are asked. Operating systems always seem to come up and usually they ask for purposes e.g to handle communication with the use of protocols. Have a go at a few past papers because you will notice the pattern. You should definitely do two papers from the same year and you should notice a pattern with similar questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks allot I will do that right now!
I was wondering if there was actually a thread for this!

I am also sitting this paper, so if anyone would like any areas clearing up then I'm more than happy to help. My advice would be;
- Ensure you know how to do binary
- Know the definitions of all busses / registers
- Know the component parts of an expert system and make sure you know lots about problem definition.

Also, for those of you wondering how you can remember which order the systems developent life cycle occurs in just think:

Programs for individuals are developed independently, even in May.
(Prob def, feasibility study, info collec, analysis, design, implementation, evaluation, installation, maintenance.)

For those more able candidates have a go at the May 09 paper, it's bloody hard - 66 for an A!
Reply 11
Original post by Neon-Soldier32
I was wondering if there was actually a thread for this!

I am also sitting this paper, so if anyone would like any areas clearing up then I'm more than happy to help. My advice would be;
- Ensure you know how to do binary
- Know the definitions of all busses / registers
- Know the component parts of an expert system and make sure you know lots about problem definition.

Also, for those of you wondering how you can remember which order the systems developent life cycle occurs in just think:

Programs for individuals are developed independently, even in May.
(Prob def, feasibility study, info collec, analysis, design, implementation, evaluation, installation, maintenance.)

For those more able candidates have a go at the May 09 paper, it's bloody hard - 66 for an A!

Thanks allot man over the next 10 days I will keep checking this thread and if I have any questions I will share them here too. :smile:
Reply 12
Does anyone know where I can look at the January 2013 paper?
Original post by sam1837

The only way you can get them is if you're registered on the exam network.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sam1837

I have a physical copy only I'm afriad. It wasn't anything special, a mediocre exam by any stretch of the imagination; an average 75 for an A.
I have used ocrcomputing.org.uk for notes and hartisemere school resources with 3 exam tutors very good with exam questions! Just in case anyone needed any guidance.
Reply 16
Original post by Neon-Soldier32
I have a physical copy only I'm afriad. It wasn't anything special, a mediocre exam by any stretch of the imagination; an average 75 for an A.

If you could scan it I'm sure many people would be very grateful including myself. :smile: I would like to look at as many past papers as possible and if Jananuary and Junes are usually similar this could be a great resource. :biggrin:
Reply 17
I have used ocrcomputing.org.uk for notes and hartisemere school resources with 3 exam tutors very good with exam questions! Just in case anyone needed any guidance.

Great thanks!
Original post by sam1837
If you could scan it I'm sure many people would be very grateful including myself. :smile: I would like to look at as many past papers as possible and if Jananuary and Junes are usually similar this could be a great resource. :biggrin:

I don't have a scanner, unfortunately and it would take far too long to take a picture of the paper and its MS.
Reply 19
A week to revise everything apart from input/output devices and get an A? Can it be done? I bloody find Further Maths easier than this, literally it's the most boringest subject ever even more bs that dida.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending